a new party

democrats are moving too far left
republicans have gone too far right
i find myself appreciating rinos and dinos more these days
we need a third party for the majority of us who are moderates
I've largely given up on this idea, considering the stranglehold the two "major" parties have on our election system. Plus, if such a party can't appear NOW, as ridiculous and polarized as things are, one NEVER will.

What I'm hoping now is that one of the parties will wake up and realize that a majority of the country wants moderation and cooperation, and be the first to take advantage of that. The problem is that the wings have most of the energy, and therefore the influence.

I don't know what fixes this.

Not to start an argument. What is considered moderate these days? Like for these topics:

abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large

What is the moderate position on each?

Nicely boiled down. My answer would be that there are none. I can't see for any of these coming up with a policy in the middle that would cause both sides to walk away unhappy.
Meaning, that neither side got any or all they wanted, thus achieving moderation.

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days.

moderate

dont want civil war - who does?
dont want religious laws - who does?
laws based on logic, reason and necessity - who doesn't?
government out of private life - too general
police do their jobs without killing people in the streets - who doesn't?
fair tax system - too general
affordable education - who doesn't?
affordable healthcare - who doesn't?

limit immigration to people who; - This so far is really the only thing you've said that would be considered conservative
speak enough english to get by -
have employment ready for them
will not get goverment handouts

stop the war on pot - Who doesn't?
all citizens have equal rights and protections - Who doesn't?

be more small business friendly - Too general

You sound mostly like a moderate Democrat.

moderate

dont want civil war
dont want religious laws
laws based on logic, reason and necessity
government out of private life
police do their jobs without killing people in the streets
fair tax system
affordable education
affordable healthcare

limit immigration to people who;
speak enough english to get by
have employment ready for them
will not get goverment handouts

stop the war on pot
all citizens have equal rights and protections

be more small business friendly
Sounds like you voted for President Trump.

Pulling us out of the Paris Climate agreement
Kids in cages
stuff like that.
So you think we should surrender our sovereignty and allow other nations to dictate our economic policies. Got it.

Oh, and Hussein Obama built the cages.

Not to start an argument. What is considered moderate these days? Like for these topics:
abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large
Abortion is the closest to being a binary argument. The rest all exist along a continuum and are not binary.

And I think we've fallen into a trap, thinking that one side has to "win" on any given issue, and one side has to "lose".

How about both sides collaborating, innovating, and creating something NEW, like our Constitution? That way we all have skin in the game.

America used to be able to innovate, back when we were great.

I agree, progress is only made through compromise and collaboration. But, that's not really a stance it's just asking the current parties to talk to each other. I was more curious as to what are the political beliefs of a moderate. Usually when they are asked it's quite clear that they would more than fit into one party or the other.

democrats are moving too far left. republicans have gone too far right. i find myself appreciating rinos and dinos more these days. we need a third party for the majority of us who are moderates
New political parties will not solve the problem. If you believe one will then organize it.
might I suggest the constitution party,,, if we hadnt abandoned the constitution we wouldnt have the problems we have,,,
Nobody abandoned the Constitution. The inadequacies and improper adjustments to it are what lead us to the political chaos that trickles down causing the social disorderliness we endure.

You naively believe it is well designed and written only because you do not have to work under its direction.

might I suggest the constitution party,,,

if we hadnt abandoned the constitution we wouldnt have the problems we have,,,

The Constitution says that all persons have a right to their life and to the equal protection of our laws.

That's a big tent that would seemingly include all human beings. . . Regardless of their race, sex, religion, age or stage of development. . .

Wait. . . .

President Biden is about as moderate as a politician gets. And I really don't think the D party has moved too far left. The Squad, Liz and Bernie don't run the party. They are outliers with only a small amount of influence.

abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large
Abortion is the closest to being a binary argument. The rest all exist along a continuum and are not binary.

And I think we've fallen into a trap, thinking that one side has to "win" on any given issue, and one side has to "lose".

How about both sides collaborating, innovating, and creating something NEW, like our Constitution? That way we all have skin in the game.

I agree, progress is only made through compromise and collaboration. But, that's not really a stance it's just asking the current parties to talk to each other. I was more curious as to what are the political beliefs of a moderate. Usually when they are asked it's quite clear that they would more than fit into one party or the other.
I think there are a couple of characteristics, depending on the individual moderate. So:
  • Some moderates have strong feelings on any given issue, but their opinions as a whole don't fit with one of the tribes. So, a moderate may be passionately pro choice and passionately pro lowering income taxes. Neither tribe, then, is a fit for them.
  • Some moderates really do want to find some kind of middle ground on most issues. They believe that there are decent or fair arguments on both ends, and want to at least begin the conversation by finding shared views and going from there.
  • Some moderates think that both tribes are narcissistic gasbags and would rather just approach each issue on its own merits, taking some ideas from column A, some from column B, and the rest from new ideas.
My two cents, anyway.

I've largely given up on this idea, considering the stranglehold the two "major" parties have on our election system. Plus, if such a party can't appear NOW, as ridiculous and polarized as things are, one NEVER will.

What I'm hoping now is that one of the parties will wake up and realize that a majority of the country wants moderation and cooperation, and be the first to take advantage of that. The problem is that the wings have most of the energy, and therefore the influence.

I don't know what fixes this.

abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large

my position on each

foreign policy:
be more pro democratic nations
stop letting china and russia push us around
encourage and assist our friends to be more independent and more capable of defending themselves against russian or chinese aggression

national defense
obviously we need the best and most powerful military in the world else our real enemies would prove how much the hate us

taxes
a fair tax system where even the rich have to pay a fair amount
too many loopholes and breaks for the rich to take advantage of

healthcare
a system whereby even the poorest can get AFFORDABLE and decent medcal care

education
obviously in order for the US to remain great we need an excellent and AFFORDABLE education system

welfare
an end to welfare for life and replace it with a short term WORKfare system in which people are trained and educated and returned to the workforce as quickly as possible

abortion
i wouldnt have an abortion
but i understand why some people would have logical reasons to do so
i would work to minimize abortions

police
should be our friends, not our executioners

government
stop allowing big government to control our laws and lives
let the people decide on issues, by voting, rather than let one president or one congress decide for everyone

i dont want obama, trump or the senate deciding to criminalize pot, and destroy lives, simply because they are still living in the 1950s.

let the people decide for themselves

Did you bitch when Obama put kids in cages? I bet not.
Paris Climate Agreement? You mean YOU are actually for the redistribution of America's wealth?

Obama didn't have a family separation policy as deterrent. You're thinking of Rump, Miller and Sessions.
It's been fact checked to death Meister.
He did build some of the cages as a temporary solution when there was evidence that the parent was a felon or a kid was in danger.

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days. Not that you can't, I just genuinely don't know what that means anymore.

I view that term as people who understand that working together and compromise is sometimes necessary in order to get things done.

Paris Climate Agreement? You mean YOU are actually for the redistribution of America's wealth?

Obama didn't have a family separation policy as deterrent. You're thinking of Rump, Miller and Sessions.
He did build some of the cages as a temporary solution when there was evidence that the parent was a felon or a kid was in danger.
So your for the 'rent a child' program that was promoted from south of the border, huh?
The reason for the separation was there wasn't any proof of who's child was who's.
Sad about the corruption from Mexico where people were being schooled on how to
beat the system in the US.

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days. Not that you can't, I just genuinely don't know what that means anymore.

I view that term as people who understand that working together and compromise is sometimes necessary in order to get things done.

Fair enough. However that doesn't make a political party. If you're just interested in compromise then Biden would be your guy, he's built a career on compromise. So what is a 'moderate' party?

abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large

I think there are a couple of characteristics, depending on the individual moderate. So:
  • Some moderates have strong feelings on any given issue, but their opinions as a whole don't fit with one of the tribes. So, a moderate may be passionately pro choice and passionately pro lowering income taxes. Neither tribe, then, is a fit for them.
  • Some moderates really do want to find some kind of middle ground on most issues. They believe that there are decent or fair arguments on both ends, and want to at least begin the conversation by finding shared views and going from there.
  • Some moderates think that both tribes are narcissistic gasbags and would rather just approach each issue on its own merits, taking some ideas from column A, some from column B, and the rest from new ideas.
My two cents, anyway.

I don't think you have to be a 'moderate' to want to compromise. As a liberal, I'd rather get something rather than nothing.

But since this thread is about a moderate party, what is that exactly? How are a group of people who claim to be in the middle however their various opinions on a range of topics will individually slide from liberal to conservative leaning is supposed to make up a cohesive political party?

So your for the 'rent a child' program that was promoted from south of the border, huh?
The reason for the separation was there wasn't any proof of who's child was who's.

Nonsense -"Zero Tolerance" meant ZERO tolerance. They literally ripped breast feeding babies from the teat of their mothers. They then tossed them in a cage with a space blanket and didn't keep track of either the mother or the toddler thus were unable to reconnect hundreds of babies and children. The practice was among the cruelest and most gruesome of this administration.

Average joe citizens getting involved in the two parties on the local and state level and pushing out the fringe .I was precinct captain and folks that's where you have an affect on direction of our country. Move up in the party structure or support people in the party who support your agenda. Be a state delegate go to those conventions and yes the electoral college . Warning: In political parties the name of the game is " Hard Ball". The reason why the fringe has so much control of things is there involved and your not.

Nonsense -"Zero Tolerance" meant ZERO tolerance. They literally ripped breast feeding babies from the teat of their mothers. They then tossed them in a cage with a space blanket and didn't keep track of either the mother or the toddler thus were unable to reconnect hundreds of babies and children. The practice was among the cruelest and most gruesome of this administration.
got a link to that bullshit??

Forum List

Back