A new bill in New York requires hairstylists to be trained in all hair textures

Because the state is the one issuing the license. Why should should someone who wishes to cut just as you put it African styles pay extra for that? Why should they be forced to learn how to cut European hair? The business owner can still decide who they hire and what type of hair they will specialize in. If the state is going to require a license to be a hairstylist that person should be educated in all hairstyles
That's a slippery slope. Should government force a bakery store to bake ethnic goods if the store is a Mexican bakery?

That's a slippery slope. Should government force a bakery store to bake ethnic goods if the store is a Mexican bakery?
Does the government license a baker? To the best of my knowledge they do not. They do require certain sanitation needs meet but I do not believe one has to get a license to be called a baker.

Does the government license a baker? To the best of my knowledge they do not. They do require certain sanitation needs meet but I do not believe one has to get a license to be called a baker.
It's still a business license, permit to sell food, and regulated by the state.

Ok but does one need a license to be called a baker? Heck there is no requirement to have any formal culinary training to open up a bakery as far as I know. We are talking about what the state requires for you to get a license not the services your business offers.

A permit from the health department is necessary to provide food. No one tells the cook what he must provide. Open a pizza place and no one is going to demand the cook make goulash. But but it will make for a better educated cook. No one could be against that.

Right on the MONEY!

Man, I'm lucky. I live about 20 miles from a very cool Hutterite colony and they grow the BEST garlic! I buy a bag and press it, mix it with olive oil, store it in little 4 ounce jars, and it keeps me for several months.

I have tried that but with regular oil, and kept it in the fridge. The oil does solidify somewhat. And have used the oil to cook with when the garlic is down or gone. BUT after a while, if not used soon enough, both the garlic and the oil gets really strong,

Just curious if olive oil does the same???

All you did was repeat the same circular reason.

Care to expound?

What makes something a "compelling reason?"
Balancing the harm. Will the compulsion harm the person being compelled or the person whose needs caused the compulsion.

If it were me, I would explain to the black client that I have been trained in cosmetology school to style black hair. I passed that class with a C. Please sign this release indicating that you accept my lack of proficiency.

All you did was repeat the same circular reason.

Care to expound?

What makes something a "compelling reason?"
If I cant shoot it down its compelling

Do you want to give it a try?

Well good thing the government intervened and required all textures to be covered so mistakes don’t happen from people untrained then.
So you think black skin is different from white skin?

If so that ought to take up about 5 minutes to explain

Suppose the hairstylist slogs through the class on nappy hair and decides to not style black hair at all. How beneficial is the better education?
Same could be said if she doesn’t care about the Karen cut. Teaching a hairstylist to understand all types of hair is just common sense

That's not licensing or training. There should be no prohibition against someone who wants to be trained. There should be no compulsion forcing someone to style black hair when they don't want to.
Yet under the current system someone is forced to learn all about cracker hair when they never plan to touch a honkey hair and pay extra for to learn about the hair style they want and that’s somehow fair?

So you think black skin is different from white skin?

If so that ought to take up about 5 minutes to explain
Yes black hair is different texture than white hair and requires different techniques and products. A professional hairstylist should learn all types of hair.

They can still choose to specialize in whatever style they wish

Yes black hair is different texture than white hair and requires different techniques and products. A professional hairstylist should learn all types of hair.

They can still choose to specialize in whatever style they wish
What you propose then is a complete waste of time the purpose of which is to make the school more money.

That's not licensing or training. There should be no prohibition against someone who wants to be trained. There should be no compulsion forcing someone to style black hair when they don't want to.
Yep. If the shop owner’s shop doesn’t style black hairstyle, go to another place. It’s not refusal of service but lack of qualified workers. Why is the state demanding a potential hairstylist to learn to style black hair when that’s not the interest of the hairstylists. If a white hairstylist works on a black person’s hair, we may hear the term cultural appropriation. Funny back in the days when liberals still exist, they encouraged everyone to live and understand other cultures. Leftists hijacked the party and turned it into a racist screaming party 7 days a week.

Forum List

Back