A Modest Proposal...

That way since we got off the gold standard, no?

Steadily more so all the time.

It's the beastly system that we are on....

My question is, what can we, you and me, and the rest of the sane, do about it?

Would it fix it? We can quit electing the people who continue to do the same thing over and over. Sadly the sane are few and far between.

How can we rid ourselves of this beast? Sure, we can try to curtail the easy button of printing more money, but truly, that's been a lost cause....we are failing! We can't even tame the beast, let alone slaughter him, without a replacement system.....

And what would that be?

I'm hoping but not really expecting some day there will be enough to say "No, we will not vote for a single penny of more debt".

Steadily more so all the time.

Would it fix it? We can quit electing the people who continue to do the same thing over and over. Sadly the sane are few and far between.

I'm hoping but not really expecting some day there will be enough to say "No, we will not vote for a single penny of more debt".
If the govt went back to only borrowing money from ourselves, instead of the whole world of foreign countries, (or printing more) then spending could and would be curbed....maybe??? It would be a lot more expensive to borrow from us alone,

Citizen's money is limited to lend to the govt, thus it would take higher interest rates to get us to loan it to them...this becomes too expensive for them...so they would need to rethink and limit their spending dreams of grandeur, perhaps???

Wealth can not be created WITHOUT labor

Arguing which component of a complex process is most important is a bit like a spark plug arguing with a rocker valve over which one is the most important to the engine. Failure of either can cause failure of the entire engine.

Creation of intellectual property, capital, labor, and markets are all integral to wealth creation. But, I will submit, that the most important, at least in terms of starting the process, is intellectual property.

Wealth cannot be created without intellectual property, but it can, and often is, created without labor (or, in instances where the creator of the IP and the labor are one in the same). Not everything of value requires mass production. Painting a masterpiece, composing a hit song, writing an or influential novel, if self-published, are all examples of wealth creation without the need for a labor force of unskilled or semi-skilled workers.

All the labor in the world won't create any new wealth without a plan or idea behind it. You can dig holes in the ground for your entire life and add no wealth to the economy.

It takes capital to bring new ideas to market, to pay for the labor, the raw materials, the plant equipment. But, unless that capitol is placed behind the right idea, it will be wasted. There have always been cases where investors, eager to put their dollars, doubloons, ducats, or deutschmarks behind a new idea, only for that idea to flop spectacularly.

Lastly, without a market, the component that competes with intellectual property for essentiality there is no wealth creation. A brilliant masterpiece, unsold, creates no wealth. A market can be millions of individuals, or one savvy art collector. But, a market must exist for a product before wealth can be created.

Forum List

Back