A man called Otto

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Watched it last night.
The movie is exactly what it says it is.
A man loses his wife, and loses his desire for life with her. Becomes bitter and hates everything and everyone.
Enter new neighbors, and a pregnant vivacious woman who doesn't give up on him and you know the rest of the story.
All in all, pretty good movie. There is solid humor, and heartwarming moments. If you like feel good movies every once in a while - it won't disappoint.
Note - one woke moment in which Otto meets a trans kid and for a few minutes they had to toss in a story about how awesome the kid is, his parents don't accept him... kids pick on him etc. Otto befriends him, which would certainly not have happened... but that moment is only 2-3 minutes long, once you get past that token virtue signaling the rest of the movie is ok.

sorry, but tom hanks is on my do not watch list
I don't like his politics either, but I cannot deny myself of the fact he is a serious contender for the best actor in our lifetimes.
News of the World was awesome. It didn't get neat the critical acclaim it should have, and likely why is it's realistic portrayal of American Indians as raiders and marauders.

I don't like his politics either, but I cannot deny myself of the fact he is a serious contender for the best actor in our lifetimes.
News of the World was awesome. It didn't get neat the critical acclaim it should have, and likely why is it's realistic portrayal of American Indians as raiders and marauders.

Yeah, News of the World was a good one, too.

Watched it last night.
The movie is exactly what it says it is.
A man loses his wife, and loses his desire for life with her. Becomes bitter and hates everything and everyone.
Enter new neighbors, and a pregnant vivacious woman who doesn't give up on him and you know the rest of the story.
All in all, pretty good movie. There is solid humor, and heartwarming moments. If you like feel good movies every once in a while - it won't disappoint.
Note - one woke moment in which Otto meets a trans kid and for a few minutes they had to toss in a story about how awesome the kid is, his parents don't accept him... kids pick on him etc. Otto befriends him, which would certainly not have happened... but that moment is only 2-3 minutes long, once you get past that token virtue signaling the rest of the movie is ok.
I'm a sucker for feel good movies. Is it streaming? If so where?

Hanks has done many wonderful movies such as Apollo 13, Toy Story, Forest Gump, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, A League of Their Own, A Bridge of Spys, Saving Private Ryan, Big, Sleepless in Seattle, Castaway, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, and Sully. But he also had a few stinkers and a couple I have not seen. He an excellent actor with great timing. Directors are wise to listen to his suggestions.

I don't give a shit about their politics, race, sexual orientation, or anything else except else other than their acting. I like John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, Clinton Eastwood, Kelsey Grammer, James Woods, and Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies. I also like Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Daniel-Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, and Greg Kinnear.
Just to name a few.

Hanks has done many wonderful movies such as Apollo 13, Toy Story, Forest Gump, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, A League of Their Own, A Bridge of Spys, Saving Private Ryan, Big, Sleepless in Seattle, Castaway, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, and Sully. But he also had a few stinkers and a couple I have not seen. He's an excellent actor with great timing. Directors are wise to listen to his suggestions.

I don't give a shit about their politics, race, sexual orientation, or anything else other than their acting. I like John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, Clinton Eastwood, Kelsey Grammer, James Woods, and Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies. I also like Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Daniel-Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, and Greg Kinnear movies.
Just to name a few.

Hanks has done many wonderful movies such as Apollo 13, Toy Story, Forest Gump, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, A League of Their Own, A Bridge of Spys, Saving Private Ryan, Big, Sleepless in Seattle, Castaway, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, and Sully. But he also had a few stinkers and a couple I have not seen. He an excellent actor with great timing. Directors are wise to listen to his suggestions.

I don't give a shit about their politics, race, sexual orientation, or anything else other than their acting. I like John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, Clinton Eastwood, Kelsey Grammer, James Woods, and Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies. I also like Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Daniel-Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, and Greg Kinnear.
Just to name a few.

Stream rent on Vudu and prime, and "free" on HBO Max
I watched it on Netflix last night and enjoyed it. Tom Hanks at age 66 after over 40 years of making movies, 153 nominations for major awards and winning 53 including 2 academy awards and with a net worth of near half billion dollars, has reached a point in life where he can can chose to do just whatever he wants to do. He's written several books, acts, directs, and produces movies. I saw him in a couple of interviews lately and thought my God, he's an old man and dresses the part, no makeup and completely relaxed.

Hanks comes from pretty humble beginnings born to a Portuguese healthcare worker and an iterate English cook who were divorced when he 4 years old. He moved from place to place living with his single parents and step parents. There is nothing in his early life that would lead you to believe that he would every amount to anything. In high school he was unpopular with both students and teachers and describing himself as a very shy geek.

Forum List

Back