A late introduction.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I’ll be 73 in March and admit that my mind is not as sharp as it once was. I can notice this when I watch Wheel of fortune and Jeopardy weeknights on television with my wife. For years we were evenly matched but now she cleans my clock on both.

Granted, I’ve had seven concussions from mishaps in bicycle races and some collisions with road furniture like scarified pavement where I was scraped off the tarmac unconscious by passersby. Processing speed appears to be the issue; there is a gap now that was not there in younger days. It’s a kind of cerebral rust that binds the hinges on the door to accessing quick knowledge.

My fast-twitch mind muscles are affected while crystalized intelligence remains intact; I scored a 133 on a psychologist-recommended IQ test in 2008 to see if I got stupid from a brain bleed. They told me in school I was lazy which I plead guilty to. I guess I’m kind of like an old shortwave radio that still works if you hit me in the right place.

The point I think I’m making is that everything in life that was fun for me made me less intelligent. In 1972 I would go out on a jog which was rare for people in those days and my gutter-sniped friends would pick me up along the way. We would light up cigarettes, smoke a few joints and knock off a few beers on our way to do property damage all over the city. It was a golden age.

I outran a cop on my motorcycle (Honda 750-twin) in 1974 going over Bingham Hill at 100-plus. That cop is long dead from natural causes probably still chasing me on the other side. I didn’t plan to live this long and I am winging it now with a cranial computer that needs rebooting from time to time-it’s probably a hardware issue, the software is good.

I can’t make up my mind what’s more important-the achievement of an accomplishment or the accomplishment of an achievement. I know many publicly accomplished people who are absolute rats, so I don’t hold lack of a great achievement against myself.

I’m still married and none of my three children or six grandchildren has seen the inside of a prison which gives me comfort. If I run for president can I count on your vote?

Sounds like you've lived a good life and done right. Nothing wrong with having a little fun, glad you got away from the fuzz.

I’ll be 73 in March and admit that my mind is not as sharp as it once was. I can notice this when I watch Wheel of fortune and Jeopardy weeknights on television with my wife. For years we were evenly matched but now she cleans my clock on both.

Granted, I’ve had seven concussions from mishaps in bicycle races and some collisions with road furniture like scarified pavement where I was scraped off the tarmac unconscious by passersby. Processing speed appears to be the issue; there is a gap now that was not there in younger days. It’s a kind of cerebral rust that binds the hinges on the door to accessing quick knowledge.

My fast-twitch mind muscles are affected while crystalized intelligence remains intact; I scored a 133 on a psychologist-recommended IQ test in 2008 to see if I got stupid from a brain bleed. They told me in school I was lazy which I plead guilty to. I guess I’m kind of like an old shortwave radio that still works if you hit me in the right place.

The point I think I’m making is that everything in life that was fun for me made me less intelligent. In 1972 I would go out on a jog which was rare for people in those days and my gutter-sniped friends would pick me up along the way. We would light up cigarettes, smoke a few joints and knock off a few beers on our way to do property damage all over the city. It was a golden age.

I outran a cop on my motorcycle (Honda 750-twin) in 1974 going over Bingham Hill at 100-plus. That cop is long dead from natural causes probably still chasing me on the other side. I didn’t plan to live this long and I am winging it now with a cranial computer that needs rebooting from time to time-it’s probably a hardware issue, the software is good.

I can’t make up my mind what’s more important-the achievement of an accomplishment or the accomplishment of an achievement. I know many publicly accomplished people who are absolute rats, so I don’t hold lack of a great achievement against myself.

I’m still married and none of my three children or six grandchildren has seen the inside of a prison which gives me comfort. If I run for president can I count on your vote?
Hey, Ray. You definitely deserve a treat for that one.
9324925472_aa2b8fc1af_o.jpg

Welcome. You joined 3.5 yrs ago? Well you said you weren't as sharp as you used to be. Lol.Just teasing

Good for you, Ray9; welcome and hope you enjoy the boards!

Hi Ray9 I pride myself as being a self educated fellow. After reading your opening arrival post I see you like watching “Wheel of fortune”
Most people do not know where this expression comes from.
Read this link.
Boethius and The Consolation of Philosophy -

Hi Ray9 I pride myself as being a self educated fellow. After reading your opening arrival post I see you like watching “Wheel of fortune”
Read this link.
Thanks, Ray. That was awesome.
As I've pretty much always said, Don't look for your joy or happiness outside of yourself. It lies within you. Just like Dorothy's shoes--she always had the power to return home to where her happiness lay; she just needed to know that her own "backyard" was where she needed to look.

Welcome Ray...Jump on in the water is fine (actually it's either freezing cold or boiling hot but combine the 2 and it's just fine) :)

Wow, that's quite the introduction, probably a record .. Ray9.... :thewave:

I enjoyed it soo bottom-line .. glad that you're here and welcome to the USMB..

Find .. The Coffee Shop..:wink_2:

Read this link.
Thanks, Ray. That was awesome.
As I've pretty much always said, Don't look for your joy or happiness outside of yourself. It lies within you. Just like Dorothy's shoes--she always had the power to return home to where her happiness lay; she just needed to know that her own "backyard" was where she needed to look.

Oh! So many possibilities! Butt.... :x

Forum List

Back