A different take on the shortages...

Truth? We've imported more in the past. So what's changed? Liberal, screw America, policies. You can't get on time delivery, but you can find some shill to explain it away in a heartbeat.

US imports by year....

1634659763029.png

What changed is there was not a massive disruption of the world wide supply chain due to a worldwide pandemic. Do you really think that has nothing to do with what is going on today?

Get rid of Biden and put Trump back in.

That would actually work, of course. It's Biden's administration that is causing all the trouble. Covid craziness, supply crises, energy crisis, illegals streaming in with all their diseases --- get rid of Biden and get Trump back and we wouldn't have all this trouble.

So, you did not have any empty shelves in 2020 in your stores? Here they were way worse in 2020 than they are now.

America isn't running out of everything just because of a supply-chain crisis. America is running out of everything because Americans are buying so much stuff.

• But US imports are at record levels at some ports, and Americans are breaking shopping records, too.

To understand the situation, consider the country's inventory to sales ratio. This metric, tracked by the US Census Bureau, compares how much stuff sellers have on hand to how much stuff consumers are buying. The ratio is at a 10-year low, which indicates that we're low on stuff.

But the Port of Los Angeles reported a 30% uptick in incoming cargo in the first nine months of this year. (Important note, most of nonfood goods sold in the US come from abroad.) The Port of Charleston, South Carolina, has been breaking all-time records since March. Prologis, a major industrial real-estate player, is "effectively sold out" of warehouse space.

All of that means that the inventory to sales ratio isn't low because the US is short on stuff. It's low because sales have gone completely nuts.

In the first nine months of 2021, retail sales were up 14.5% over the same period in 2020 - a year in which retail sales jumped 8% over 2019. The NRF expected to end the year with sales up 10.5% to 13.5%. Lots of imports and even more spending have driven the inventory to sales ratio down because businesses imported a lot of stuff, and then Americans bought it.

People didn't buy during the COVID lockdown.

Stores stopped ordering stuff from China.

Now that people are out and about, they're buying stuff again.

Stores put in orders to China all at once.

Now we have a traffic jam.

America isn't running out of everything just because of a supply-chain crisis. America is running out of everything because Americans are buying so much stuff.

• But US imports are at record levels at some ports, and Americans are breaking shopping records, too.

To understand the situation, consider the country's inventory to sales ratio. This metric, tracked by the US Census Bureau, compares how much stuff sellers have on hand to how much stuff consumers are buying. The ratio is at a 10-year low, which indicates that we're low on stuff.

But the Port of Los Angeles reported a 30% uptick in incoming cargo in the first nine months of this year. (Important note, most of nonfood goods sold in the US come from abroad.) The Port of Charleston, South Carolina, has been breaking all-time records since March. Prologis, a major industrial real-estate player, is "effectively sold out" of warehouse space.

All of that means that the inventory to sales ratio isn't low because the US is short on stuff. It's low because sales have gone completely nuts.

In the first nine months of 2021, retail sales were up 14.5% over the same period in 2020 - a year in which retail sales jumped 8% over 2019. The NRF expected to end the year with sales up 10.5% to 13.5%. Lots of imports and even more spending have driven the inventory to sales ratio down because businesses imported a lot of stuff, and then Americans bought it.
This fell flat when buttplug said it, and it's falling flat here.
Economists are laughing at the spin.

This fell flat when buttplug said it, and it's falling flat here.
Economists are laughing at the spin.

No, only mindless BDS folks are laughing at it. You are not allowed to blame it on anything but Biden, it has to be 100% his fault in your fucked up world. The fact that consumer spending is breaking records could not possibly effect supplies in your minds.

what a fucked up way to live

No, only mindless BDS folks are laughing at it. You are not allowed to blame it on anything but Biden, it has to be 100% his fault in your fucked up world. The fact that consumer spending is breaking records could not possibly effect supplies in your minds.

what a fucked up way to live
I didn't even mention Biden. :eusa_whistle:

Yes of course! You can also refer to it as long supply chains.
Prof. Richard Wolff and Chris Hedges have addressed the topic at length.
Long supply chains to the US from China for example have been disrupted and broken due to China's need to take extreme precautions on Covid.

Long supply chains to the US from China for example have been disrupted and broken due to China's need to take extreme precautions on Covid.

Add to that US consumer ordering more than ever coupled with shortages of workers and you have a mess

Supply chain disruptions + higher demand = inflation

Supply and demand, the very foundation of economics.
You're in tune with the program. The only point I can add is that the 'supply chains' are 'long' supply chains. That adds a little more clarity to your point!

Tough shit, snowflake, it's a legitimate post.

There is nothing legitimate about childish, homophobic slurs. The fact you think so says so much more about you than I ever could.

what next, a few racist slurs? maybe some sexist ones. I am sure you know and use them all.

There is nothing legitimate about childish, homophobic slurs. The fact you think so says so much more about you than I ever could.

what next, a few racist slurs? maybe some sexist ones. I am sure you know and use them all.
Are you really trying to tell me how I should think? Seriously?
How about you sticking your head up your ass and roll down the sidewalk?

Are you really trying to tell me how I should think? Seriously?
How about you sticking your head up your ass and roll down the sidewalk?

Oh god no, I would never do that. I think it is great when people like you out themselves on here. Now I know to consider everything you post is coming from a hate-filled bigot. It is good to have these kinds of context.

Last edited:

Oh god no, I would never do that. I think it is great when people like you out themselves on here. Now I know to consider everything you post is coming form a hate-filled bigot. It is good to have these kinds of context.
Well, yeah, yeah you did try and do just that, GG. I said what I said, and stand behind it. You start telling me everything else you think
I am, and start expounding on that. Damn pathetic..

Economists are saying just the opposite of what you're trying to relay in your OP. it's called damage control.

Oh god no, I would never do that. I think it is great when people like you out themselves on here. Now I know to consider everything you post is coming form a hate-filled bigot. It is good to have these kinds of context.
It's enough that you can intimidate them with the facts! Most of the Trump followers aren't prepared to debate anything of substance. There's no need to go with them on their spamming, profanity, and attempts to insult others.

Forum List

Back