a conversation about great leaders of the past & present in attempt to inspire leaders of the future

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
we need the leadership equivalent to a general theory of relativity, a theory that accurately predicts which leadership qualities result in success.

the first step is learning where mythology and reality diverge.

Julius Caesar was "dictator for life". Caesar's pretension and extravagance with his new title motivated folks, including his close friend Brutus, to conspire against him.

we need the leadership equivalent to a general theory of relativity, a theory that accurately predicts which leadership qualities result in success.

Julius Caesar was "dictator for life". Caesar's pretension and extravagance with his new title motivated folks, including his close friend Brutus, to conspire against him.
Why did you start with a dictator? Having the self confidence and leadership skills to work/live with those who don't agree with you is part of being a great leader. I think, anyway.

• Banned

Why did you start with a dictator? Having the self confidence and leadership skills to work/live with those who don't agree with you is part of being a great leader. I think, anyway.
Julius Caesar is the greatest leader in the history of the world.

i like non-dictators too. The Musical Hamilton closes with a rap song in Washington's 1796 decision to step down after his 2nd term is met by a disbeileving hamilton.

Hamilton: why do you have to say goodbye?
Washington: if i say goodbye, the nation learns to move on. it outlives me when i'm gone.

Miranda the director said that he sought to celebrate Washington's "humanity and frailty" lifting a rare example of when a leader vanquishes power

Julius Caesar is the greatest leader in the history of the world.

i like non-dictators too. The Musical Hamilton closes with a rap song in Washington's 1796 decision to step down after his 2nd term is met by a disbeileving hamilton.

Hamilton: why do you have to say goodbye?
Washington: if i say goodbye, the nation learns to move on. it outlives me when i'm gone.

Miranda the director said that he sought to celebrate Washington's "humanity and frailty" lifting a rare example of when a leader vanquishes power
So humanity and possibly humility are also great qualities in a leader, perhaps.

• Banned
when he was killed, Caesar fought and resisted all the rest, shifting his body like Michael Jackson to avoid the blows, and calling for help, but when he saw Brutus' sword drawn, he covered his face with his robe and submitted. many of the conspirators themselves were killed by each other, as they tried to get Caesar.

by the way, the Washington Crossing the Delaware painting is hugely inaccurate. the Delaware River never froze in this way, the river is far too wide, the boat is heading the wrong way, and the flag is wrong for this period. the biggest factual flaw is that the boat, rather than the rickety whaling rowboat depicted in the painting, Washington is beleived to have used a 60ft bottom barge complete with artillery, a far better option for an army going on a winter's night river crossing

still, few real leaders, even military generals, present themselves riskily in a rowboat, refusing support, as if posing for posterity

when he was killed, Caesar fought and resisted all the rest, shifting his body like Michael Jackson to avoid the blows, and calling for help, but when he saw Brutus' sword drawn, he covered his face with his robe and submitted. many of the conspirators themselves were killed by each other, as they tried to get Caesar.

by the way, the Washington Crossing the Delaware painting is hugely inaccurate. the Delaware River never froze in this way, the river is far too wide, the boat is heading the wrong way, and the flag is wrong for this period. the biggest factual flaw is that the boat, rather than the rickety whaling rowboat depicted in the painting, Washington is beleived to have used a 60ft bottom barge complete with artillery, a far better option for an army going on a winter's night river crossing

still, few real leaders, even military generals, present themselves riskily in a rowboat, refusing support, as if posing for posterity
Are you going to settle down and have a conversation about leadership or are we going to talk about art?

• Banned
John McCain and John Lewis remind us that its possible to keep our humanity while leading with courage and commitment.

• Banned

Are you going to settle down and have a conversation about leadership or are we going to talk about art?
"much of the history we teach was made by the leaders we taught" - West Point

• Banned
"We shouldn't be just be thanking women of color for electing progressive leaders. In 2018, we should be electing women of color as those leaders." - Senator Kamala Harris

FDR could have (should have?) been impeached when he ordered the incarceration of American citizens without due process but the crazy left would rather bring up Julie Caesar. Go figure

FDR could have (should have?) been impeached when he ordered the incarceration of American citizens without due process but the crazy left would rather bring up Julie Caesar. Go figure
i will get to FDR. i'm going by chronological order.

This is one of the nuttier threads I have seen on USMB. Your assertion "Julius Caesar is the greatest leader in the history of the world." Is stunning in its' ignorance. This is not a conversation it is rather stroll into wishful thinking.

Yet he did remain, “dictator for life”...

Forum List

Back