96% of Congress Dems dont pay interns

Guess that's OK since the Dems do it, but not McDonald's.

The law does not apply to those who rule, lol.

96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Don?t Pay Their Interns | CNS News

By definition, interns never get paid. If they do they're not interns.

Not true sir.

FAQ and Guide on How to Hire Interns

Q: How much should I pay my intern? PART 1: Wh at is the Law?

A: This is a hot topic right now. The department of labor points to the 6 point standard (here) including Point #4, that states that any intern who provides value must be paid at least minimum wage.

The intent of the law (and reading between the lines of what is being enforced) is that unpaid interns cannot be used to replace current employees and cannot be used to do ad hoc, non-educational work. In general, unpaid interns are held to a much higher standard in terms of what they get in educational benefits and experience. Organizations who offer a highly educational experience, and offer alternative compensation, such as credit, a stipend, or other benefits are generally seen as in compliance.

NOTE: While credit is used as an alternative compensation by many companies it is not seen as valued compensation by most students.

Q: How much should I pay my intern? PART 2: How to be Competitive?

A: The most important benefit you can offer an intern is a highly educational experience that offers access to top level employees, and industry experience. That being said payment is very important to set your position apart from the status quo and attract the best candidates.

Position Type Competitive to attract the top 25% of students Highly Competitive to Attract the Top 5% of Students
Communications/PR Minimum Wage $12 -$15 hour
Marketing Minimum Wage $12 - $15 hour
Computer Science/Engineering $12/hour $15 -$22 hour
Graduate Business Student $12/hour $15 - $20 hour
Non-Profit Unpaid/Stipend $12/hour
Q: What are the benefits of paying my intern?
A: You will get a much higher quality of applicants for two reasons. First, not paying your intern immediately excludes a large number of college students who need some level of payment to consider internship employment. Second, the best students have a lot of options to choose from and most can find positions that are exciting and offer some payment.

Not true sir.

FAQ and Guide on How to Hire Interns

Q: How much should I pay my intern? PART 1: What is the Law?

A: This is a hot topic right now. The department of labor points to the 6 point standard (here) including Point #4, that states that any intern who provides value must be paid at least minimum wage.
Read your own link, that Dept of Labor six point standard applies to "for profit" private sector employees.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
"This fact sheet provides general information to help determine whether interns must be paid the minimum wage and overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act for the services that they provide to “for-profit” private sector employers."

It has zero relevance to internships with congress, and implying a law is being broken is yet another fail in your ongoing series of baseless ideologue attack threads. You are basically a novesteve-light at this point. Pocket novasteve. ChevetteSteve.

Are you just inbred stupid or just cant read the link I gave, dumbshit?

God this is sweet irony. Read your own link, it clearly says:

"This fact sheet provides general information to help determine whether interns must be paid the minimum wage and overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act for the services that they provide to “for-profit” private sector employers."

I see we are now entering the predictable phase of a JimBowie thread where he looks more and more like a dumbass as he attempts to defend his previous dumbass comments. A glorious feedback loop of dumbassedry.

Are you just inbred stupid or just cant read the link I gave, dumbshit?

God this is sweet irony. Read your own link, it clearly says:

I see we are now entering the predictable phase of a JimBowie thread where he looks more and more like a dumbass as he attempts to defend his previous dumbass comments. A glorious feedback loop of dumbassedry.

The dude said interns don't get paid, but they do, and that is still proven true even if it is private sector.

Governments pay interns as well.

2014 Government Internships

That CONGRESS does not pay interns is the issue here, and to say that Dems in congress don't pay interns because they don't pay interns is a tautological fallacy, dumbass.

How Congress Gets Away with Not Paying Its Interns - The Wire

The FLSA dictates that private sector internships must meet the following six criteria, determined by the Department of Labor, to be legal:

The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment; The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern; The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff; The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded; The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

The FLSA further defines interns as "individuals who participate in 'for-profit' private sector internships or training programs ... without compensation," as long as the internships meet each of the above standards. But "if the employer is getting any benefit from the work of the intern, they would have to get someone else to do that work, [whether] that's answering the phone, cleaning, or entering information into a spreadsheet,” Elizabeth Wagoner, the lawyer representing all three of the above intern cases, told The Atlantic Wire.

Unpaid congressional intern duties don't sound too terribly different from the type of stuff media or film industry interns say they deserve pay for. It's "a lot of typical answering-the-phone duties, a lot of admin stuff -- handling, helping the legislative correspondent, constituent correspondence," said Brendan MacArthur, a former unpaid intern for Massachusetts representative Ed Markey. "Making copies and filing certainly happens," he says. But while congressional interns have the same work-for-zero pay experience, they don't have the option of suing. Their unpaid labor is legal under the congressional version of the FLSA, the Congressional Accountability Act, because Congress made it that way.

"I think it would be a difficult case," Wagoner told The Atlantic Wire when we asked if Congressional interns might be able to sue their former employers. "The law is specifically written in this exclusion, so you'd have to challenge the propriety of this exclusion. That is not a problem in the other types of intern cases that you're dealing with in private sector." As the FLSA does not apply to government employees, Congress passed its own version, the CAA, picking and choosing parts of the FLSA it liked, like the right to minimum wage and overtime for "covered employees." The thing is, the CAA regulations defines "covered employee" as "any employee of the House of Representatives, including an applicant for employment and a former employee, but shall not include an intern." The private sector FLSA does not have this same exclusion written into it.

roflmao

The dude said interns don't get paid, but they do, and that is still proven true even if it is private sector.

Correction, some government internships are paid. Bottom line you were basing your arguments on links to a source that was specifically about participating in 'for-profit' private sector internships or training programs, which congress is not. Therefore your claims about the law not applying is idiotic, since the law you are quoting isn't meant to apply.

Your link to a the other article further sinks your "law not applying" silliness, it says:

"Their unpaid labor is legal under the congressional version of the FLSA, the Congressional Accountability Act, because Congress made it that way."

What did you just wake up today and decide to see how stupid you could look?

You are fucking hystericaly stupid, lolol.

By definition, interns never get paid. If they do they're not interns.

To which I posted a link that shows that some interns do in fact get paid.

Then idjit posted /thread as if Deltas comment ended the topic, then you started in with your gross idiocy.

Correction, some government internships are paid.

BINGO! yes, some get paid, so why don't the Democrat hypocrits that pose as though they think the minimum wage needs to go up when they have people working for them for NOTHING?

Bottom line you were basing your arguments on links to a source that was specifically about participating in 'for-profit' private sector internships or training programs, which congress is not. Therefore your claims about the law not applying is idiotic, since the law you are quoting isn't meant to apply.

Dumbshit, the government often times does pay interns and every intern I know of except one was paid.

Your link to a the other article further sinks your "law not applying" silliness, it says:

"Their unpaid labor is legal under the congressional version of the FLSA, the Congressional Accountability Act, because Congress made it that way."

Wow, you just made the tautological argument that it is OK that Congress does not pay interns because Congress exempted themselves from paying interns.

roflmao, you are a moral idiot.

What did you just wake up today and decide to see how stupid you could look?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! !
You are a riot with out any intention or awareness of what a blithering fool you are.

lolol, you just don't get it.

Cute attempt at misdirection, as I predicted you are doing your usual routine of looking more like an ass with every post trying to dig your way out of stupid things you say. The more you use big fonts with wild colors the more desperate you look trying to get around it.

There is no law saying congress needs to pay their interns, your pointing out laws for private sector aren't relevant. Your thread is weak, it is a weak ideologue attack that is a waste of bandwidth.

You really need to get up and about and stop taking that government disability check, being idle and living off the rest of us seems to be rotting your brain.

New Topics

Forum List

Back