94% of the universe’s galaxies are permanently beyond our reach

I'm a space geek, but only an armchair one. I love space documentaries. What is striking is: the more astrophysicists, etc discover, the less they really understand. Like what you mention. Space is not only expanding, but it is expanding at an ever increasing rate.

That's just one aspect of space they seem to understand less. Which is fascinating really

They basically tapdance all around God. Which is also fascinating. And funny
Your "tap-dance" is a an envious projection from someone who does not know that the expanding universe is proof itself of a non-existent god. If you were in college and given this reading assignment, you would be tested and (graded [italics]) on it:

'Derrida's treatment of God is the inverse of negative theology. Negative theology proceeds from the premise that whatever story we can tell about God, whatever image or predicate we employ to describe God, cannot be adequate to the positive infinity of God. To describe God is to make him dependent on conditions that apply to temporal finitude. It is on order to save God from such mortal contamination that negative theology refuses to predicate God.

Derrida's argument is exactly the opposite, since he holds that God is as dependent on temporal finitude as everyone else. When Derrida employs the name of God, or reads a story that involves God, it is to show that even the supposedly indivisible is divisible and that whoever says I am [italics]) confesses that he is mortal.

Such radical atheism follows from thinking of the trace that informs Derrida's writing from beginning to end. The structure of the trace entails that everything is subjected to the finitude of time and consequently that God himself is "an effect of the trace." It follows that any notion of God as positive infinity is contradicted from within by the spacing of time, which cannot be appropriated by religion.

As Derrida writes in "Faith and Knowledge," the spacing of time "will never have entered religion and will never permit itself to be sacralized, sanctified, humanized, theologized." '
(Haegglund, Radical Atheism: Derrida and the Time of Life, p. 143)

I'm a space geek, but only an armchair one. I love space documentaries. What is striking is: the more astrophysicists, etc discover, the less they really understand. Like what you mention. Space is not only expanding, but it is expanding at an ever increasing rate.

That's just one aspect of space they seem to understand less. Which is fascinating really

They basically tapdance all around God. Which is also fascinating. And funny
Makes you wonder if all that we perceive to exist is incomprehensible because we ourselves exist only in the mind of GOD and the reason the universe is expanding is because it's all just I fading thought.

At 52 I doubt I will see the time when many people will travel to Space -- even Earth's orbit.
At 71,000 I seen all of this world I care to; it's not what it used to be. Most of it's glorious adventure lies in it's past. This is my last visit here. Good luck to all who choose to stay.

We are in the Milky Way galaxy, we will all have a front row seat.
A lot of people get the wrong idea about what will happen. The night sky may look a little different, but that's about it. There won't be a bunch of stars and planets colliding in some galaxy-wide armageddon. There's too much space between stars, and even if some stars did get close, they would just start to orbit each other.

Last edited:
A lot of people get the wrong idea about what will happen. The night sky may look a little different, but that's about it. There won't be a bunch of stars and planets colliding in some galaxy-sized armageddon. There's too much space between stars, and even if some stars did get close, they would just start to orbit each other.
I think of it as a super super slow motion car wreck. Surely the two entities cannot simply meld together into one cohesive unit, especially at they're differing magnitudes and velocities.

I think of it as a super super slow motion car wreck. Surely the two entities cannot simply meld together into one cohesive unit, especially at they're differing magnitudes and velocities.
Colliding galaxies can and do do exactly that. It actually happens quite often on a universal scale, and we can observe it in various stages. Also entire galaxies can get trapped in orbit together. It won't be a disaster. Like I said, there's just way too much space between stars. It'd be like shooting a projectile from Earth and Mars blindfolded and them hitting each other.

Last edited:
Colliding galaxies can and do do exactly that. It actually happens quite often on a universal scale, and we can observe it in various stages. Also entire galaxies can get trapped in orbit together. It won't be a disaster. Like I said, there's just way too much space between stars. It'd be like shooting a projectile from Earth and the Moon blindfolded and them hitting each other.
Talk about climate change ! That would definitely be significant when such an event occurred. Again, at a super super slow right. I don't think life would survive such a change, especially if the change were to one extreme of the other.

Well, actually they do not. And there are many simulations that show what will happen.

In fact, a lot of recent research into the Magellanic Cloud dwarf galaxies now have many speculating that was their origin. That at some point the Milky Way had a collision with a much smaller galaxy, and those are the remnants that were thrown off during that collision. And we now know that the larger mass of our Milky Way is already "sucking" matter from those into our own galaxy and they are moving towards us.

The distances between the stars is vast, though. Think of it more as if two flocks of birds or schools of fish passing through each other. Except when talking about large amounts of mass unlike living beings, the one with the most mass will almost always absorb the smaller one.

But there will be several "passes", during which essentially both galaxies will tear each other apart. Then eventually reform into a more massive galaxy, about 1/2 Andromeda, and 1/2 Milky Way.

And we know how it works, because we have been seeing such in Hubble for decades, and now from the JWST.

752-6-410.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

heic0615a.jpg

Talk about climate change ! That would definitely be significant when such an event occurred. Again, at a super super slow right. I don't think life would survive such a change, especially if the change were to one extreme of the other.

It would likely have no impact at all on our Solar System. Unless our sun was unlucky enough to be one of those thrown off into the void.

Of course, by the time that happens the Earth will actually already be inside the sun, so there would be no life left here anyways by that point.

And Jesus mumbled, "Oh shit, I forgot that Rapture stuff, didn't I?" "If 94% remains beyond man's reach, why create it in the first place?" "Where's that damned fallen angel supposed to reside now?"..

Forum List

Back