90 cities hit record high temperature

The Wizard of Oz turned 70 last week. If Dorothy today ran into people with no brain, it would be Chrissy, OldCrocks and Truthmattersnot, to name only a few!

I wonder what the goal really is. If the stated goal is reached, of greatly reducing CO2 in the atmosphere, this is bad for plant life. Let's say what -- 200ppm is acceptable? Lower than that?

Or, is it simply just wanting to TAX pollution, rather than reduce it?

Cap and trade hasn't worked anywhere it's been tried, not if you're talking reduction of carbon. What it has done is the actual goal, global redistribution of wealth.

When will the sycophants stop pretending it's about saving the earth, and just be straight?

Well, Midnight old sot, if you do not know the levels of GHGs for the interglacial and glacial periods, then you have failed to do even the slightest research.

Cap and trade worked very well on sulphate emissions. They can work equally well for GHG emissions. The problem is that they are too slow in working.

When will you get a brain, Midnight?:lol:
Tells us all how greatly reduced CO2 is going to HELP the planet.

I'll wait.

don't insult comrade stalin.

More than 90 record-high temperatures were recorded in the Midwest and Great Lakes yesterday.

And perhaps an even better record came for the residents of Minneapolis-St. Paul in Minnesota - for only the third time in recorded history there was no snow measured during the month of March. (Records date back to 1859).

Rochester, Minnesota, shattered its old record high of 71 degrees when the temperature soared to 83 degrees yesterday. Chicago also recorded a record high temperature for April 1 of 83.

More than 90 record-high temperatures broken – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Good
An extended growing season is a plus for everybody

The Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, and yet we have record high temperatures.

Why?

Record high temperatures in some place. Record cold temperatures in others. The climate is and has never been static. The Earth will be warming or cooling on any given day. The CO2 levels have continued to rise unabated for the last several years while median Earth temperatures have leveled off or even cooled at bit.

Why?

Because the Sun's activity is at its lowest level in 80 years.

The Wizard of Oz turned 70 last week. If Dorothy today ran into people with no brain, it would be Chrissy, OldCrocks and Truthmattersnot, to name only a few!

Personal insults are not a substitute for reasoned arguments.

The Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, and yet we have record high temperatures.

Why?

Record high temperatures in some place. Record cold temperatures in others. The climate is and has never been static. The Earth will be warming or cooling on any given day. The CO2 levels have continued to rise unabated for the last several years while median Earth temperatures have leveled off or even cooled at bit.

Why?

Okay. Some of the AGW religionists have done their damndest to discount the sun as a factor because then they couldn't zero in on anthropogenic CO2 emissions as the primary culprit. But it would seem that if the CO2 levels continue to escalate at an unabated pace and the Earth still shows a rather dramatic change in overall warming, then maybe, just maybe human generated CO2 emissions are not the reason the Earth is warming. Hmmmmmmm? It would seem that other factors like the sun, tilt of the Earth, water vapor, et al probably are much more the culprits so I wonder what they'll come up with to deal with that?

Or maybe the best thing for us to do is to monitor worldwide weather patterns, do our best to forecast what is likely to occur, and help the peoples of the Earth adapt to the natural and cyclical changes that are no doubt going to occur. At least using our finite energy and resources toward that end seems practical to me.

More than 90 record-high temperatures were recorded in the Midwest and Great Lakes yesterday.

And perhaps an even better record came for the residents of Minneapolis-St. Paul in Minnesota - for only the third time in recorded history there was no snow measured during the month of March. (Records date back to 1859).

Rochester, Minnesota, shattered its old record high of 71 degrees when the temperature soared to 83 degrees yesterday. Chicago also recorded a record high temperature for April 1 of 83.

Good
An extended growing season is a plus for everybody

Yes, looking at the anthropological records, it is obvious that for both man and beast, warmer is better than colder when it comes to climate on the Earth. And such large countries as Canada and Russia, especially Siberia, are salivating over the thought of the economic boom when their climate allows them to become a major breadbasket for the world.

Meanwhile, here in the Southwest, a long LONG drought seems to be easing somewhat and we have been enjoying cooler summers than usual for several years now. That is a trend I could learn to enjoy too.

Why?

Okay. Some of the AGW religionists have done their damndest to discount the sun as a factor because then they couldn't zero in on anthropogenic CO2 emissions as the primary culprit. But it would seem that if the CO2 levels continue to escalate at an unabated pace and the Earth still shows a rather dramatic change in overall warming, then maybe, just maybe human generated CO2 emissions are not the reason the Earth is warming. Hmmmmmmm? It would seem that other factors like the sun, tilt of the Earth, water vapor, et al probably are much more the culprits so I wonder what they'll come up with to deal with that?

Or maybe the best thing for us to do is to monitor worldwide weather patterns, do our best to forecast what is likely to occur, and help the peoples of the Earth adapt to the natural and cyclical changes that are no doubt going to occur. At least using our finite energy and resources toward that end seems practical to me.

Sorry, I'm going to have to call you on this one. I haven't seen any scientists discounting the sun as a factor in climate.

Nice try though.

In fact it has been quite the opposite. I predicted in the fall that we would have a colder winter because of the Sun's lower level of activity. But it would be even colder if not for the 40% increase in CO2 caused by our activities.

Only an idiot would deny either the influence of increased atmospheric CO2 or the influence of the Sun.

Sorry, I'm going to have to call you on this one. I haven't seen any scientists discounting the sun as a factor in climate.

Nice try though.

In fact it has been quite the opposite. I predicted in the fall that we would have a colder winter because of the Sun's lower level of activity. But it would be even colder if not for the 40% increase in CO2 caused by our activities.

Only an idiot would deny either the influence of increased atmospheric CO2 or the influence of the Sun.

Sweetheart, I am very seldom given to making posts in a vacuum. The AGW proponents have bent over backwards for years to dispute sunspots as a significant factor in the global warming debate. I should have qualified my comment to include that 'significant' part, but they really don't want to admit that the sun plays a big role in this.

This conclusion is confirmed by many studies finding that while the sun contributed to warming in the early 20th Century, it has had little contribution (most likely negative) in the last few decades:

Erlykin 2009: "We deduce that the maximum recent increase in the mean surface temperature of the Earth which can be ascribed to solar activity is 14% of the observed global warming"

Benestad 2009: "Our analysis shows that the most likely contribution from solar forcing a global warming is 7 ± 1% for the 20th century and is negligible for warming since 1980."

Lockwood 2008: "It is shown that the contribution of solar variability to the temperature trend since 1987 is small and downward; the best estimate is ?1.3% and the 2? confidence level sets the uncertainty range of ?0.7 to ?1.9%."

Lockwood 2008: "The conclusions of our previous paper, that solar forcing has declined over the past 20 years while surface air temperatures have continued to rise, are shown to apply for the full range of potential time constants for the climate response to the variations in the solar forcings."

Ammann 2007: "Although solar and volcanic effects appear to dominate most of the slow climate variations within the past thousand years, the impacts of greenhouse gases have dominated since the second half of the last century."

Lockwood 2007: "The observed rapid rise in global mean temperatures seen after 1985 cannot be ascribed to solar variability, whichever of the mechanism is invoked and no matter how much the solar variation is amplified."

Foukal 2006 concludes "The variations measured from spacecraft since 1978 are too small to have contributed appreciably to accelerated global warming over the past 30 years."

Scafetta 2006 says "since 1975 global warming has occurred much faster than could be reasonably expected from the sun alone."
Usoskin 2005 conclude "during these last 30 years the solar total irradiance, solar UV irradiance and cosmic ray flux has not shown any significant secular trend, so that at least this most recent warming episode must have another source."

Solanki 2004 reconstructs 11,400 years of sunspot numbers using radiocarbon concentrations, finding "solar variability is unlikely to have been the dominant cause of the strong warming during the past three decades".

Haigh 2003 says "Observational data suggest that the Sun has influenced temperatures on decadal, centennial and millennial time-scales, but radiative forcing considerations and the results of energy-balance models and general circulation models suggest that the warming during the latter part of the 20th century cannot be ascribed entirely to solar effects."

Stott 2003 increased climate model sensitivity to solar forcing and still found "most warming over the last 50 yr is likely to have been caused by increases in greenhouse gases."

Solanki 2003 concludes "the Sun has contributed less than 30% of the global warming since 1970".

Lean 1999 concludes "it is unlikely that Sun–climate relationships can account for much of the warming since 1970".

Waple 1999 finds "little evidence to suggest that changes in irradiance are having a large impact on the current warming trend."

Frolich 1998 concludes "solar radiative output trends contributed little of the 0.2°C increase in the global mean surface temperature in the past decade"
Solar activity & climate: is the sun causing global warming?

So the paradox still remains. If the sun is not a significant factor and CO2 is the primary cause of global warming, then it follows that we should have seen at least some upward trend over the last eight or nine years as CO2 levels have increased significantly over that period. But most credible scientists now admit there has been no upward trend in global temperatures over the last eight or nine years.

Last edited:
I think it was in 2005 that scientists were reporting CO2 levels at 27% higher than they had ever been before?

And this
ScienceDaily (Oct. 9, 2009) — You would have to go back at least 15 million years to find carbon dioxide levels on Earth as high as they are today, a UCLA scientist and colleagues report Oct. 8 in the online edition of the journal Science.
Last Time Carbon Dioxide Levels Were This High: 15 Million Years Ago, Scientists Report

So it stands to reason that if the sun is so small a factor when compared to human generated CO2, that we would have seen some warming and certainly wouldn't have seen any cooling, no sunspots or not.

Sorry, you still have no references to scientists saying the sun has no effect on climate.

Sorry, you still have no references to scientists saying the sun has no effect on climate.

I didn't say anybody said the sun has no effect on climate. I said the AGW proponents have done their damndest to discount (i.e. reduce) the sun as a factor and subsequently qualified that as a signficant factor. And I named the scientsts who have done just such discounting and provided a link.

What else would satisfy your inquiring mind?

I didn't say anybody said the sun has no effect on climate. I said the AGW proponents have done their damndest to discount (i.e. reduce) the sun as a factor and subsequently qualified that as a signficant factor. And I named the scientsts who have done just such discounting and provided a link.

he won't be satisfied until you bow down to Al whore.

why would you post something so stupid knowwing it would be just as easy to post storys of april snow storms ?

he won't be satisfied until you bow down to Al whore.

Well it's Easter weekend and appropriate to show some compassion I think. It's tough when you arrive at that terrible point in the argument in which you realize you're wrong. And I think it is becoming more and more evident to all those AGW religionists, and their disciples who have piled onto that theory, that they are arriving at that point. They won't admit it right away. They want to keep the grant monies rolling in as long as they possibly can. And those who have calculated and cultivated this issue to promote global government and increase control over the people won't give up without a fight.

I'm not quite ready to genuflect to Mr. Gore just yet, thank you very much. :)

One of the predictions of climate change is weather swings that are wider and wilder, with an overall warming trend.

Of course, we have seen no unuassal weather at all this winter and spring, have we.

One of the predictions of climate change is weather swings from global warming, to global cooling, and back again, with an overall confidence trick trend.

Let's not pretend that the phrases "unseasonably warm" or "unseasonably cold" are new additions to the meteorological dictionary.

Let's hope we have an early and warm spring.

Anything to take pressure of the cost of oil is a good thing, folks.

and it doesn't mean a Goddamned thing, you piece of shit partisan hack.

It means that we're having a warm spring.

I fail to see how his noting that fact makes him a "piece of shit partisan hack".

You mean to tell me that the weather is unpredictable? WFT!!!?? Somebody better tell those TV weather people!!!

Predicting the weather is difficult.

Long range forcasting even more so.

Predicting the long range climate forecast?

Fools science, folks.

Nobody knows nuttin.

Forum List

Back