80 years on screen

eagle7-31

Diamond Member
Mar 24, 2020

here's looking at you kid.

I liked the movie but never considered it 'Great'. It wasn't nearly as good as Henry Fonda in My Darling Clementine, or any number of other movies of that decade.

I watched it once. Didn't really think much of it.
Watched it again a few years later, thinking maybe time would have given something to the movie..........or me.
But no, still nothing.

Is it a good movie? As the oldies go, I guess. Is it the best movie ever? Far from it.

I think people like it because it's the eternal "will they or won't they" kind of thing. It's usually a huge hit in any movie or TV show that plays it out between the two main characters. Fun to watch, but I wouldn't call it anything other than what it is. A good watch on a rainy day.

The scene where the bar patrons sing "La Marseillaise" to drown out the Germans at Rick's was movie magic at its finest. The movie was shot in 1941 or 42, the extras were mostly actual French refugees, and the tears in their eyes are largely real.

Also, Conrad Veidt, who plays the Nazi commander, is one of my silver-screen heroes. He was a German actor who married a Hungarian Jewish woman and was very vocally anti-Nazi, smuggled his family out, and sent thousands of British kids chocolate and money while they were hunkered down during the Blitz. He would have become a much bigger name if he hadn't dropped dead on a golf course at 50.

The scene where the bar patrons sing "La Marseillaise" to drown out the Germans at Rick's was movie magic at its finest. The movie was shot in 1941 or 42, the extras were mostly actual French refugees, and the tears in their eyes are largely real.

Also, Conrad Veidt, who plays the Nazi commander, is one of my silver-screen heroes. He was a German actor who married a Hungarian Jewish woman and was very vocally anti-Nazi, smuggled his family out, and sent thousands of British kids chocolate and money while they were hunkered down during the Blitz. He would have become a much bigger name if he hadn't dropped dead on a golf course at 50.

Love that scene

Also the scene where Rick saves the teenaged bride from Inspector Renault

Forum List

Back