75th Anniversary

A mere ceasefire was not acceptable to the Allies

it had to be total surrender
Yep.
Either way, fdr was not going to accept anything until he had a chance to use his new toy. When he was ushered to hell before he could, truman obeyed his last bloody wish.
Where do you get such crazy ideas from?

Americans were dying by the thousands in the Pacific and anything to achieve total victory was better than that

. If you cannot conceive of a ruler considering options in the best interests of his people when his nation's military had been decimated, cut off from vital natural resources, and facing mass starvation, you are clearly lacking in reason and morality.
You dont know much about japanese culture during the Imperial Japan era

eventually after two atomic blasts I think hirohito did put the best interests of his people ahead of other considerations

and even then he faced revolt from parts of the military

You dont know much about japanese culture during the Imperial Japan era

As a matter of fact, I do. You only know what you have gathered from cartoons and stories told to children so they can grow up without a guilty conscience.

As a matter of fact, I do. You only know what you have gathered from cartoons and stories told to children so they can grow up without a guilty conscience.
Nonsense

Modern japan is very different from pre WWII japan

the japanese once believed they were invincible.

and that death was preferable to surrender

it took two atomic bombs to bring them to their senses

This is why when I discuss Japan, I very clearly separate Early Showa Era from Late Showa Era. It is almost like discussing 2 different countries.

In fact, since cartoons were mentioned, I invite anybody to look up the two Momotaro cartoons. "Momotaro and the Sea Eagles" shows a righteous Japanese military striking the US in Hawaii, all in the cause of "liberating" the rest of Asia. Then "Momotaro, Sacred Sailors" does the same thing, showing how the kind and generous Japanese military is "liberating" islands in the Pacific from the evil Caucasian overlords.

Yea, am pretty sure those were really popular in the Philippines, Dutch East Indies, and China.

This is no "Howl's Castle" or "Spirited Away", but you can see in the style and story where a lot of the concepts of Squirrel and Hedgehog come from.

Momotaro.jpg

K6TAFUIYJZBAJN6353ZVLBCED4.jpg

And yes, the Caucasians all have horns sticking out of their heads.

I actually encourage people to watch them, it is not hard to find now.

....and that death was preferable to surrender

The US Marine Corp often says "Death Before Dishonor." It is also the motto of the 41st Battalion of the Royal New South Wales Regiment in Australia. Servicemen who die in battle after placing themselves in great peril to save their compatriots or serve their country are honored for valor in all societies.

There's that comic book anthropology again... :rolleyes:

No, they didn't.
They did

because they had been invincible dating as far back as the ill fated mongol invasions 700 years before

That is just stupid. Even despite your ignorance, you should be able to figure out that over Japan's long history of very frequent warfare, many people died and many even surrendered to victorious enemies. Do you think that in 700 years no one ever lost a battle or a war? No one ever surrendered? Don't be stupid. Real life is not a cartoon.

This is why when I discuss Japan, I very clearly separate Early Showa Era from Late Showa Era. It is almost like discussing 2 different countries.

In fact, since cartoons were mentioned, I invite anybody to look up the two Momotaro cartoons. "Momotaro and the Sea Eagles" shows a righteous Japanese military striking the US in Hawaii, all in the cause of "liberating" the rest of Asia. Then "Momotaro, Sacred Sailors" does the same thing, showing how the kind and generous Japanese military is "liberating" islands in the Pacific ...

And? Are you under some delusion that we did not also produce propaganda during the war? Doctor fucking Seuss produced anti-Asian American propaganda during the war.

You had better be careful posting images like that or Mac-7 will become utterly convinced that Japanese people in the 1930s and 40s were rabbits; invincible rabbits that had no concept of surrender.

That is just stupid. Even despite your ignorance, you should be able to figure out that over Japan's long history of very frequent warfare, many people died and many even surrendered to victorious enemies. Do you think that in 700 years no one ever lost a battle or a war? No one ever surrendered? Don't be stupid. Real life is not a cartoon.

Of course, the vast majority of that history they were beating up and killing each other.

Forum List

Back