75th Anniversary

... dropping the bombs was the absolute reason for a full surrender and ending the war. ....

"Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." Moreover, Leahy continued, "in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children." "
Leahy was an idiot. ...
" President Dwight Eisenhower, the Allied commander in Europe during World War II, recalled in 1963, as he did on several other occasions, that he had opposed using the atomic bomb on Japan during a July 1945 meeting with Secretary of War Henry Stimson: "I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon." "

Again after the second BOMB and an invasion they still voted NOT to surrender.
That was because they weren't ready yet, but were already negotiating surrender via Russia. 4 Army members? Wha? As I understand it, it was the Navy minister who may have been the lone military member on the council to be against not surrendering.

Again, point being, an extra delay may have rendered the second bomb unnecessary.
You are wrong and the Japanese were trying to make an alliance with the Soviets AGAINST the US. They were not trying to surrender.
Would be nice if these history revisionists would actually give us some credit instead of the enemy.

... dropping the bombs was the absolute reason for a full surrender and ending the war. ....

"Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." Moreover, Leahy continued, "in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children." "
Leahy was an idiot. ...
" President Dwight Eisenhower, the Allied commander in Europe during World War II, recalled in 1963, as he did on several other occasions, that he had opposed using the atomic bomb on Japan during a July 1945 meeting with Secretary of War Henry Stimson: "I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon." "

And I’m supposed to feel bad about that? Luckily we didn’t have to worry about how many US lives would be lost waiting for this inevitable surrender. It did after all take two of those bombs to get it done.

Leahy was an idiot. ...

And I’m supposed to feel bad about that? ....

So far Leahy and Eisenhower disagree with you. Who are you again?

Leahy was an idiot. ...

I’m the one that had family members in the Pacific theater. The ones that lived through Okinawa and places like it. The ones that weren’t sitting way back from the front smoking cigars yammering about morals those two wouldn’t have to pay for if they were wrong.

Turning 100,000 Japs into instant crispy critters doesn’t bother me, or my relatives at all.

Leahy was an idiot. ...

I’m the one that had family members in the Pacific theater. The ones that lived through Okinawa and places like it. The ones that weren’t sitting way back from the front smoking cigars yammering about morals those two wouldn’t have to pay for if they were wrong.

Turning 100,000 Japs into instant crispy critters doesn’t bother me...at all.

Anyone who really feels that way is a shit-poor excuse for an American, and for a human being.

Again after the second BOMB and an invasion they still voted NOT to surrender.
That was because they weren't ready yet, but were already negotiating surrender via Russia. 4 Army members? Wha? As I understand it, it was the Navy minister who may have been the lone military member on the council to be against not surrendering.

Again, point being, an extra delay may have rendered the second bomb unnecessary.

We bombed the hell out of Japan with conventional bombs and they refused to budge. Conventional warfare wasn't effective in procuring a surrender from the Japanese. Japan needed to negotiate with us, not Russia.

So, how many Americans would have died while you waited for the Japanese to be "ready"? What would you tell the families of the soldiers who died while we were hanging out waiting for the Japanese to decide what they wanted to do next? That isn't how war works. If your Commander in Chief is capable of ending a war, you end it....
And lest you forget, once Japan was forced to surrender, we forgave their aggression against us and brought them here to go through our factories, and businesses to show them how to modernize theirs, and then we helped them rebuild their country. That is what a moral country does...

Last edited:
Yup the claim that Japan was going to surrender is simply hogwash, the fact is after 2 bombs and an invasion they REFUSED to surrender and when the Emperor over rode them they staged a COUP to stop that. The discussions with the Soviets were an attempt to make a deal to work AGAINST the US not a surrender offer at all.

And lest you forget, once Japan was forced to surrender, we forgave their aggression against us and brought them here to go through our factories, and businesses to show them how to modernize theirs, and then we helped them rebuild their country. That is what a moral country does...

You are a government's wet dream. You buy any narrative they feed you. We did not rebuild Japan's economy just because we are so nice. We rebuilt their economy to have a lucrative trade partner in an important part of the world, and an ally to block communist interests in NE Asia. Do you think the Marshall Plan was a humanitarian mission?

Ah. Not like the guys on the front lines, right?

We rebuilt Japan's economy. Pretty nice of us considering they killed many of us...
We had lucrative trade with the world. We manufactured everything the world wanted and needed. We didn't need Japan. Their war turned them into a bombed out shell. They needed us, not the other way around, and we were there to help them.
You're welcome...

"Responding to a journalist's question in 1995 about what he would have done had he been in Truman's shoes, Joseph O'Donnell, a retired marine corps sergeant who served in the Pacific, answered that "we should have went after the military in Japan. They were bad. But to drop a bomb on women and children and the elderly, I draw a line there, and I still hold it."

Doug Dowd, a Pacific-theater rescue pilot who was slated to take an early part in the invasion of Japan if it had come to that, recently stated that it was clear in the final months of the war that the Japanese "had lost the ability to defend themselves." American planes "met little, and then virtually no resistance," Dowd recalled. He added, "It is well-known [now] that the Japanese were seeking to make a peace agreement well before Hiroshima."

Or take Ed Everts, a major in the 7th weather squadron of the Army Air Corps. Everts, who received an air medal for surviving a crash at sea during the battle at Iwo Jima, told us that America's use of atomic bombs was "a war crime" for which "our leaders should have been put on trial as were the German and Japanese leaders." "

So, how many Americans would have died while you waited for the Japanese to be "ready"?
I say zero, give or take zero. Japan had no effective attacking force threatening American positions, at that time. The last battle on Okinawa was an invasion by allied troops.

Last edited:
Atomic bomb dropped on Japan's Hiroshima 75 years ago still reverberates
Murderous attack on USA's Pearl Harbor 79 years ago still reverberates. As do Japan's unspeakable atrocities against Korea and China. I hope they remember it for a long time, not to mention the fact that it saved them from an invasion that would have killed millions more of their own people.
/—-/ I tell the people who say it was a mistake to read The Rape of Nanking.

Murderous attack on USA's Pearl Harbor 79 years ago still reverberates. As do Japan's unspeakable atrocities against Korea and China. I hope they remember it for a long time, not to mention the fact that it saved them from an invasion that would have killed millions more of their own people.
Why?

Why?
Why?
/——-/ Why??? Seriously, if you read it it you’d understand what the Japanese were capable of doing: 27 Nanking Massacre Photos That Reveal One Of History's Very Worst Atrocities

Why?
/——/ Duhhh, read it and learn what the Japanese were capable of doing.
"
Seventy-Аive Years Ago on August, 6 We Killed a Hundred Thousand People"
LEARN TO SPELL!
WHO IS WE?

HIROSHIMA WAS A BLAST!
SHOWED THEM THAT USA IS #1 YOU BUTTERCUP!
The Japanese didn't listen so we had to do it again in Nagasaki.

Proud to be an American.
/——-/ It wasn’t the Japanese people, it was the Emperor and the military high command who wouldn’t listen. They couldn’t process the deviation of Hiroshima so we used our second and only other atom bomb on Nagasaki. Only then did the Emperor get the message.

Forum List

Back