7 Common Foods Eaten in the 13 Colonies.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
From potted meat to pickles to syllabub, here are some foods and beverages that were popular in colonial America.

What people ate in colonial America largely depended on where they lived. Due to differences in climate, available natural resources and cultural heritage of the colonists themselves, the daily diet of a New Englander differed greatly from his counterparts in the Middle Colonies—New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware—and even more so from those in the South.

But one constant across all of the 13 colonies was that aside from imported goods such as spices, molasses and rum, people in the pre-Revolutionary Warera mostly consumed food they produced themselves. They sowed corn, caught fish, hunted wild game and raised farm animals for meat, as well as milk to make their own butter and cheese. They planted vegetables in their kitchen gardens, brewed their own beer and pressed their own cider.

From potted meat to pickles to syllabub, here are some foods and beverages that were popular in colonial America.

What people ate in colonial America largely depended on where they lived. Due to differences in climate, available natural resources and cultural heritage of the colonists themselves, the daily diet of a New Englander differed greatly from his counterparts in the Middle Colonies—New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware—and even more so from those in the South.

But one constant across all of the 13 colonies was that aside from imported goods such as spices, molasses and rum, people in the pre-Revolutionary Warera mostly consumed food they produced themselves. They sowed corn, caught fish, hunted wild game and raised farm animals for meat, as well as milk to make their own butter and cheese. They planted vegetables in their kitchen gardens, brewed their own beer and pressed their own cider.

What a cool post!

Two things come to mind immediately. Colonists would be disgusted by what the FDA has allowed our "food" to become--some of the worst in the world by far. What you can buy in the USA in the middle of the grocery store is disgusting.

Secondly--we need to eat more preserved food. Good for the gut microbiome, and that has all kinds of amazing benefits.

• Banned
What a cool post!

Two things come to mind immediately. Colonists would be disgusted by what the FDA has allowed our "food" to become--some of the worst in the world by far. What you can buy in the USA in the middle of the grocery store is disgusting.

Secondly--we need to eat more preserved food. Good for the gut microbiome, and that has all kinds of amazing benefits.

Still some good stuff though. In the Asian markets, and one store in particular.....Wegman’s, mostly East Coast.

Someone introduced me to Pop Tarts once. Cardboard in a toaster.

Still some good stuff though. In the Asian markets, and one store in particular.....Wegman’s, mostly East Coast.

Someone introduced me to Pop Tarts once. Cardboard in a toaster.

Yes specialty stores offer good stuff. And yes Pop Tarts are horrid, nutritionally.

What a cool post!

So you never do shop at a grocery store, killer...

One Colonial thirst quencher called "shrub" is reemerging in the last few years as "sipping vinegar". A mixture of some kind of vinegar with your choice of fruits and herbs, with some sweetener. The one I have enjoyed is a mix of apple cider vinegar, lavender and lemon. After you've given the flavors some time to get happy together, you place a small amount in a glass of water -- still or sparkling -- and add ice if you like and sip away. It's become a favorite of bartenders for creative cocktail mixing.

My mom used to drink a simple version with ACV and honey, as a health tonic. One flavor combo I'd love to try this way is strawberry and basil in balsamic vinegar!

It was very thirst quenching for the Colonists.

iu

Last edited:
What a cool post!

if you and I ate 3 of their meals, we would have food poisoning really bad. their bodies were used to the bacteria refrigeration contains...........food poisoning was a major cause of death back then, especially the summers
jest beein real

What a cool post!

Homemade sauerkraut is incredible! Nothing at all like the canned kraut we grew up on that was so puckery as to be inedible and has been pasteurized so that the benefit of fermenting is gone and your gut could care less.

I love my homemade kraut after it's been in the crock only for about a week. Get it before it gets too acidic and it has the appeal of the lovely fresh flavor of Japanese tsukemono.

if you and I ate 3 of their meals, we would have food poisoning really bad. their bodies were used to the bacteria refrigeration contains...........food poisoning was a major cause of death back them

jest beein real

This is a very good point. Indeed.

Bad meat, bad...everything.

We would still do well to bring back a few pickled things though, I'm thinking.

Homemade sauerkraut is incredible! Nothing at all like the canned kraut we grew up on that was so puckery as to be inedible and has been pasteurized so that the benefit of fermenting is gone and your gut could care less.

I love my homemade kraut after it's been in the crock only for about a week. Get it before it gets too acidic and it has the appeal of the lovely fresh flavor of Japanese tsukemono.

Not sure I'm ready to tackle homemade kraut! However....my grandma used to make pickles and I think I could handle that! We have a lovely farmer's market to get the pickling cucumbers too. Hmmm

Not sure I'm ready to tackle homemade kraut! However....my grandma used to make pickles and I think I could handle that! We have a lovely farmer's market to get the pickling cucumbers too. Hmmm

Are your grandma's pickles lacto-fermented? They too have the benefit of all the probiotics, same as the kraut. Here's a popular brand of lacto-fermented pickles.
iu

Yum, I too remember my grandma's pickles! The woman would pickle anything that didn't escape first.

Are your grandma's pickles lacto-fermented? They too have the benefit of all the probiotics, same as the kraut. Here's a popular brand of lacto-fermented pickles.
iu

Yum, I too remember my grandma's pickles! The woman would pickle anything that didn't escape first.

I'm not sure? She stopped making them when I was around teen-years...got to be too much. I have seen these pickles, and might order some! Good bacteria!

Lots of companies do still make a 20th-21st century version of potted meat. We grew up on it and groaned every time we found it in our lunch pails, but I occasionally eat a small amount of it, just for nostalgia.

iu

Lots of companies do still make a 20th-21st century version of potted meat. We grew up on it and groaned every time we found it in our lunch pails, but I occasionally eat a small amount of it, just for nostalgia.

iu
Nasty, I have that up along with Spam, canned hash and liver.

If you want fermented food that’s good for you, try natto.

Any resemblance it has to Rice Krispy Treats is purely accidental. And it tastes every bit as repulsive as it looks. I choked down a bite of it about thirty years ago.

iu

Any resemblance it has to Rice Krispy Treats is purely accidental. And it tastes every bit as repulsive as it looks. I choked down a bite of it about thirty years ago.

iu
It's great, and very healthy. I have natto at least once a week, unless my older son eats it all first.

Forum List

Back