5 Minutes In

it worked. ok what i did was i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button, & the drop down shows a quotation mark.

click on that & a black bracket shows up where you reply. highlight then c/p the portion of the poster you are replying to. then highlight & delete the texts of the other posters even though their names remain. but after you click on the reply button, only what is in the quote bracket shows up.

Wait. Let me get out my slide rule and trig tables so I can follow this. Maybe USMB ought to put out a User Manual.

View attachment 486724

you're welcome.

i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button

Three dots? Next to an image button?

Screenshot (55).png

it worked. ok what i did was i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button, & the drop down shows a quotation mark.

click on that & a black bracket shows up where you reply. highlight then c/p the portion of the poster you are replying to. then highlight & delete the texts of the other posters even though their names remain. but after you click on the reply button, only what is in the quote bracket shows up.
I played with that, but backed out without posting. Thanks for figuring it out!

i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button

Three dots? Next to an image button?

View attachment 486726

I finally figured out what you were trying to say by trial and error, Playtime. I think the problem is that my toolbar looks different from yours! Here's what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.33.17 PM.png

As you can see, ours are different for some reason but I tried the quote marks you suggested in another thread and found what you are saying and will need to play with it for a while, but while I see it can be made to do what I want, it seems like a hard way to do what was once easy and intuitive!

Okay - so yes this sucks.
It is now harder to reply to someone and edit out previous post made.
I do that all the time, and now it is harder to do.
Doesn't make sense

If I try to edit my reply ONLY to Mike, I can no longer remove Hidden (only his text) so now it looks like Hidden said what Mike did!

If I try to edit my reply ONLY to Mike, I can no longer remove Hidden (only his text) so now it looks like Hidden said what Mike did!

you mean froo froo?

( testing again )

As you can see, ours are different for some reason but I tried the quote marks you suggested in another thread and found what you are saying and will need to play with it for a while, but while I see it can be made to do what I want, it seems like a hard way to do what was once easy and intuitive!

by george, i think i got it! what a f'd up way to do it though.

Better try again.
I can edit the text in my replies just like always. If I try 3 times will the problem show up?

Pick a thread with multiple people and try to edit it to just one comment from one person. You can't. It ends up like this:

View attachment 486685
With ALL the people still attached whether you want them or not with the string attached to the last person to write whether they are the author of the comment you are replying to or not!

Dont know what you're referrring to here. Just left a thread TODAY and there are quote-back arrows and content for the ENTIRE convo within that thread. If you want ONE of those quote-backs -- just hit the arrow and go back to THAT post and reply.. I see all the context for the quote backs..

Here's an example..

Better try again.
I can edit the text in my replies just like always. If I try 3 times will the problem show up?

Pick a thread with multiple people and try to edit it to just one comment from one person. You can't. It ends up like this:

View attachment 486685
With ALL the people still attached whether you want them or not with the string attached to the last person to write whether they are the author of the comment you are replying to or not!

Dont know what you're referrring to here. Just left a thread TODAY and there are quote-back arrows and content for the ENTIRE convo within that thread. If you want ONE of those quote-backs -- just hit the arrow and go back to THAT post and reply.. I see all the context for the quote backs..

Here's an example..

Just replied to myself.. You just dont get the quote-back links in the editor anymore.. Have to decide who you're replying to BEFORE you hit reply by dropping down the whole nest of quotes..

Hit the drop down on (for seeing the quote train) on this post and see what I mean..

You're really doing it the hard way if you're editing the entire quote chain in the Editor.. Just start by highlighting what and WHO you want to reply to and drop THOSE snippets into the editor using the marker under the highlighted text.. See all the threads in forum about "selective editing"...

You're really doing it the hard way if you're editing the entire quote chain in the Editor.. Just start by highlighting what and WHO you want to reply to and drop THOSE snippets into the editor using the marker under the highlighted text.. See all the threads in forum about "selective editing"...

Well Flacc, I'm going to combine my replies to both your posts in this one reply, and as you can see, I have managed to stumble onto SOME (very limited) success! And not yet having read what you say above, I will look at it and try to glean the gist of what you are suggesting.

That said, editing used to be simple, you highlighted and changed things as needed, a simple 30 second operation any child could do. Now, after several people telling me how "easy" it still is, I find myself still failing 9 out of 10 times now and just GIVING UP and saying screw it after 5 minutes of total failure. Every time I try, it either seems a different process or simply fails to work. It ends up, after TWO DAYS of experiments, to be totally TRIAL AND ERROR--- on rare occasions, I stumble onto the secret magic formula for doing what used to be child's play before. Even above in editing other's comments out down to just your own, having succeeded, I still scratch my head and ask myself what I did to make it work this time!

And that is really stupid (not me, the program).

All my life I've truncated text to the salient content to simplify reading and save space, if you look around you will find FAR FEWER people here now even bothering to try and I'm almost in that camp of disgust.

I'm simply trying to discover, now that Xenforo has inserted all this hidden code and mirrors into what used to be simple text, to see if it is still possible to get from THIS:

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.05.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.06.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.06.53 PM.png

TO THIS:

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.07.36 PM.png

Without pulling my hair out, then pulling out a .45 and shooting my MacPro desktop computer.

Yesterday, the software even interfered in my text color and font! I couldn't highlight a string of text and change just that string's color and font size without the program applying it to the entire block of text, highlighted or not. Now that problem seems to have corrected. Clearly, Xenforo is not giving their software the beta testing it needs.

I'll give your comments above a read and try ONE MORE TIME.

BTW, if you ever want a list of Xenforo's 10 biggest problems, just ask. We can now add simple straightforward editing of replies to that list. :smoke:

PS: FWIW, this place is fairly falling apart without your direct and constant oversight and supervision.

Well Flacc, I'm going to combine my replies to both your posts in this one reply, and as you can see, I have managed to stumble onto SOME (very limited) success! And not yet having read what you say above, I will look at it and try to glean the gist of what you are suggesting.

That said, editing used to be simple, you highlighted and changed things as needed, a simple 30 second operation any child could do. Now, after several people telling me how "easy" it still is, I find myself still failing 9 out of 10 times now and just GIVING UP and saying screw it after 5 minutes of total failure. Every time I try, it either seems a different process or simply fails to work. It ends up, after TWO DAYS of experiments, to be totally TRIAL AND ERROR--- on rare occasions, I stumble onto the secret magic formula for doing what used to be child's play before. Even above in editing other's comments out down to just your own, having succeeded, I still scratch my head and ask myself what I did to make it work this time!

All my life I've truncated text to the salient content to simplify reading and save space, if you look around you will find FAR FEWER people here now even bothering to try and I'm almost in that camp of disgust.

I'm simply trying to discover, now that Xenforo has inserted all this hidden code and mirrors into what used to be simple text, to see if it is still possible to get from THIS:

View attachment 487703
View attachment 487704
View attachment 487705

TO THIS:

View attachment 487706

Without pulling my hair out, then pulling out a .45 and shooting my MacPro desktop computer.

Yesterday, the software even interfered in my text color and font! I couldn't highlight a string of text and change just that string's color and font size without the program applying it to the entire block of text, highlighted or not. Now that problem seems to have corrected. Clearly, Xenforo is not giving their software the beta testing it needs.

BTW, if you ever want a list of Xenforo's 10 biggest problems, just ask. We can now add simple straightforward editing of replies to that list. :smoke:

PS: FWIW, this place is fairly falling apart without your direct and constant oversight and supervision.

When folks use "selective editing" and pile in MULTIPLE QUOTES from maybe even multiple people -- like I sometimes do -- editing ALL of that in the editor just is too much work and will fail.

Best to use the selective editing by dropping just the content YOU WANT to reply to into the editor.. Quote nests are TOO long and TOO complicated to spend time sorting it out and worrying about getting every "" pair right..

NOTE - the BIG DIFF seems to be those quote-on quote-off markers are GONE in the new version and editing with the WHOLE CHAIN in there just wont work anymore anyways.. You'd have to INSERT them to change the quote-backs..

View attachment 487703
View attachment 487704
View attachment 487705

TO THIS:

View attachment 487706

When folks use "selective editing" and pile in MULTIPLE QUOTES from maybe even multiple people -- like I sometimes do -- editing ALL of that in the editor just is too much work and will fail.

Best to use the selective editing by dropping just the content YOU WANT to reply to into the editor.. Quote nests are TOO long and TOO complicated to spend time sorting it out and worrying about getting every "" pair right..

NOTE - the BIG DIFF seems to be those quote-on quote-off markers are GONE in the new version and editing with the WHOLE CHAIN in there just wont work anymore anyways.. You'd have to INSERT them to change the quote-backs..

Hi Flacc. I'm not even going to try to truncate this post. In fact, I've such a headache from trying to figure this crap out, that I'm just going to LEAVE for a few hours. A few points just for your edification:
  • I was and am probably one of the most active "selective editors" here, I was doing it long before you folks started ASKING people to edit! In fact, once I got bitched at by a mod (long time ago) for editing comments! And no, I am careful not to change their meaning or wording. That habit has been defeated by Xenforo now except where editing is rather limited.
  • I'm mostly a retired HARDWARE engineer, and have no desire to take a course in how to do something that already was easy now made impossibly complicated or impossible by Xenforo.
  • I went back and read and followed your suggestions from earlier verbatim and it simply DOES NOT WORK (at least in my case).
  • I followed to the year old thread on selective editing and carefully went all through it and stuff there is old and simply doesn't apply or even work (for me). Things simply do not follow what you seem to suggest. For instance, these buttons do not "pop up" when I highlight, I always see the THANK, QUOTE and REPLY buttons as shown here:
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.45.44 PM.png

• I played with the +QUOTE / -QUOTE button for the first time (it doesn't seem to do anything) and read your comments about the "editor" (wherever that is) being full, etc. I'm certainly far from being a dim person, but I've already invested far more time than this silly little issue is worth, especially considering how easy editing was before! Xenforo took a non-issue and made it an impossible mess requiring a course in HTML text editing that I'm simply not vested in spending any more time on trying to figure out just to discuss politics and others issues with people. Not without their paying me to debug their problems. Maybe what Xenforo needs is for everyone to go to some other platform! Maybe when their bottom line crashes, they will be more motivated to debug their stuff. I've now lost/wasted the past hour at least and the better part of my time here over the past two days.
ITMT, occasionally, with steely grit and nerves of determination, I SUCCEED in editing LONG posts with many people. If others would try before me, posts would never get so long in the first place! There seems to be a trick to it sometimes if you get lucky. I get the gist of what you've said about the editor being full with some of these posts: I will keep TRYING to truncate replies down to keep them manageable, but can't promise anything. ITMT, good luck with all your efforts and thanks for trying as you do with Xenforo.

So if 100 people are in a thread and you want to reply to one of them, you are now FORCED to reply to all 100. Probably not even the one who actually wrote the string you are trying to reply to!
I am replying just to you from a string of quotes

Then what is the point of the "reply with quote" button? This update has made it worse than useless!

Then what is the point of the "reply with quote" button? This update has made it worse than useless!

One problem is still there.. People who use the Reply button reflexively are contributed to miles long chains of quotes that fill up your screen.. Mod Staff has tried to wean folks off of just pounding on that button.

I think after the dust settles, you'll realize that NOTHING has really changed if your intent was to REPLY to that last person in the quote chain.. The whole damn chain just carries over to your post -- content and all.. JUST without the arrows for you to navigate to previous quotes in the chain.

Folks here are mostly miffed because they liked taking the time to edit a mile quote chain just to reply to OLDER post in the chain.

And selective editing method is far superior for being able to pick and chose how you compose a reply..

One problem is still there.. People who use the Reply button reflexively are contributed to miles long chains of quotes that fill up your screen.. Mod Staff has tried to wean folks off of just pounding on that button.

I think after the dust settles, you'll realize that NOTHING has really changed if your intent was to REPLY to that last person in the quote chain.. The whole damn chain just carries over to your post -- content and all.. JUST without the arrows for you to navigate to previous quotes in the chain.

Folks here are mostly miffed because they liked taking the time to edit a mile quote chain just to reply to OLDER post in the chain.

And selective editing method is far superior for being able to pick and chose how you compose a reply..

Gee, Flacc, with all respect, that was a brilliantly written piece of rationalization to write off a glaring problem you folks obviously have no control over nor solution for, by dismissing it off the backs of those whom merely report it, as the actual problem instead of where the issue really lies.

I'm not sure if you do not understand what I posted, or are simply ignoring it. One more time: it used to be very simple to click the reply button, then simply remove all but the last quote. It is now impossible.

Forum List

Back