5 Minutes In

Five minutes in to whatever this new update was to the Xenforo software and I can already announce it sucks! Very hard/impossible just to edit text in replying to people!
Ah...that doesn't sound promising. I had 3/4ths of a lengthy sourced post and wham! Most of it erased during that poorly timed update. I have the worst timing confirmed yet again! lol

I know. I had a short post I had made replying to Crick that when I sent it around 1:30PM, it just disappeared and I was notified the whole forum was offline. I've learned to do a COPY of long posts before sending them just in case as occasionally, a thread you are writing a long reply to is closed while you are busy writing, then when you go to send it, you're locked out.

It must have gotten too fat and orange.
OK toob, ima goin' to edumacate you against your will.

Highlight my text above that says: My edit button is right where it's always been. It works too! Then click reply.
You do know how to highlight text right?

Post #22

Five minutes in to whatever this new update was to the Xenforo software and I can already announce it sucks! Very hard/impossible just to edit text in replying to people!
Ah...that doesn't sound promising. I had 3/4ths of a lengthy sourced post and wham! Most of it erased during that poorly timed update. I have the worst timing confirmed yet again! lol
You also have a legitimate complaint, unlike that other poster.

Go ahead Hidden: show us how you can truncate your reply taking me out of the overhead above to only reply to Claire with her comment and not me!

ClaireH said:
I would normally scroll up to her post and use my method, but since you insist.

Answering post #25

Is this right?

I agree. Thought that the endlessly and unnecessarily long threads were gonna be shortened.
I was often editing out everything but the last response I got.
Can't do that anymore :(

Finally. Someone GETS IT. For the longest time WE WERE ASKED to truncate long threads to the salient parts to keep thread reading manageable. That was something I've long done anyway.

With the new software, you can't edit at all. You can take out the comments, but are still left with an overhead of every person who has ever commented in a thread and the one comment you save to reply to will be attached to the last contributor even if they didn't say it or aren't the person you're trying to write to!

We threw the baby out with the bathwater!

I agree. Thought that the endlessly and unnecessarily long threads were gonna be shortened.

Finally. Someone GETS IT. For the longest time WE WERE ASKED to truncate long threads to the salient parts to keep thread reading manageable. That was something I've long done anyway.

With the new software, you can't edit at all. You can take out the comments, but are still left with an overhead of every person who has ever commented in a thread and the one comment you save to reply to will be attached to the last contributor even if they didn't say it or aren't the person you're trying to write to!

Especially annoying if you're on a smart phone. Those long scrolls can take DAYS!!

I know. I had a short post I had made replying to Crick that when I sent it around 1:30PM, it just disappeared and I was notified the whole forum was offline. I've learned to do a COPY of long posts before sending them just in case as occasionally, a thread you are writing a long reply to is closed while you are busy writing, then when you go to send it, you're locked out.
Funny, I was in the process of replying to Crick's recent post as well...that's it! We can blame Crick partially for cricking up the whole thing!:p

Example given:
Here is the raw, expanded, unedited post:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.07.17 PM.png

Now say I just want to reply to Prog Hunter about his Dem talking points comment------

This is what you get now:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.07.43 PM.png

You CANNOT remove the other names in the thread even though your comment doesn't concern them, and you are left with the last text string attached to the last poster even if they didn't write it!

it worked. ok what i did was i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button, & the drop down shows a quotation mark.

click on that & a black bracket shows up where you reply. highlight then c/p the portion of the poster you are replying to. then highlight & delete the texts of the other posters even though their names remain. but after you click on the reply button, only what is in the quote bracket shows up.

You CANNOT remove the other names in the thread even though your comment doesn't concern them, and you are left with the last text string attached to the last poster even if they didn't write it!

ya you can.

Especially annoying if you're on a smart phone. Those long scrolls can take DAYS!!

I can imagine. They are bad enough using a 27" monitor!

it worked. ok what i did was i clicked reply, then clicked on the three dots next to the image button, & the drop down shows a quotation mark.

click on that & a black bracket shows up where you reply. highlight then c/p the portion of the poster you are replying to. then highlight & delete the texts of the other posters even though their names remain. but after you click on the reply button, only what is in the quote bracket shows up.

Wait. Let me get out my slide rule and trig tables so I can follow this. Maybe USMB ought to put out a User Manual.

slide-rule.jpg

ya, you can.

Is this right?
Oh yeah, I'm afraid so Deanne...for instance, say a person lives 500 miles away from me and I haven't seen them in 20 years. While on a trip abroad some memory pops up and I proceed to slip up and say something bad about that person. My luck places her within 10 feet of the exact spot ..overhearing me of course lol Okay, I exaggerate for effect but you get my jist here...if my husband and I go to the horse races, he'll make sure to never match any of my bets to make sure he doesn't lose..haha or I guess that's bad luck but a close cousin of bad timing;P Yep...my two sidekicks at times;)

Forum List

Back