4.2 million Californians have lost driver’s licenses because of unpaid fees

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Obey the law and these idiots wouldn't have this problem. But the morons insist on speeding and running red lights and now demand "debt forgiveness", a euphemism for bailout.
4.2 million have lost driver s licenses because of unpaid fees - SFGate

april 8 2015
Unpaid traffic fines and mushrooming fees have left 4.2 million Californians with suspended driver’s licenses — more than one-sixth of the licenses issued statewide — with poor people the hardest-hit, according to a newly published study that criticizes policies that take drivers off the road because of debts they can’t pay.

Surcharges tacked on by courts and other revenue-starved agencies, severe penalties for missing early payment deadlines and rules barring drivers with unpaid bills from even appearing in court have turned traffic citations into engines of unemployment and mounting debt, said the report issued Wednesday by the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights in San Francisco.

The report cited the case of an Alameda County woman, “Alyssa,” who was working as a bus driver in 2010 when she changed her residence and got a $25 ticket for missing a 10-day legal deadline to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles. Unaware that she still owed the fine after contacting the DMV, she failed to pay, had her license suspended, was fired from her job and has been unable to find work or come up with funds for the payments, the report said. She now supports her children on welfare, and because of late fees, surcharges and penalties, the $25 ticket has ballooned to $2,900.

• Banned
Maybe 4.1 million still drive?

No doubt. But they don't drive as much and when they do drive they are prolly careful not to break any laws. So the suspensions do a lot of good even if they don't work quite as intended.

Maybe 4.1 million still drive?
Just run if stopped, no cop will shoot now.

When i was a cop i shot anyone who ran and i'd still do it today. Runners are gutless cowards and don't deserve to live.
American public does not deserve the protection it gets.

It is not appreciated.

Cops should strike.
Not sure if you know the name Steve Yeager but he is an instructor at Tactical Response. His first instruction there?

"Do NOT go STUPID places with STUPID people to do STUPID things".

THAT advice works.

Ah good ole blackmail. North Carolina is good at it as well I intend to go pay my seatbelt ticket they now want 460$ for in quarters along with a go fuck yourself.

with poor people the hardest-hit,
As always, even when the bus is running late.

Even for those who pay immediately, the report said, a $100 fine for a minor violation like a broken taillight now costs California motorists $490 because of added state and local fees.
Welcome to the People's Republic of California. I think the state should pay those fines; they pay for housing, foodstamps and healthcare already. Them sumbitches are oppressing the poor.

The report’s recommendations included cutting current surcharges in half, allowing low-income drivers to pay lesser penalties and work off their debts through community service, and barring the DMV from suspending licenses as a penalty for nonpayment of traffic fines.
Now, they are hopefully coming around. Fair is fair. Actually the state should pay the violators for the inconvenience for being pulled over.

Ah good ole blackmail. North Carolina is good at it as well I intend to go pay my seatbelt ticket they now want 460$ for in quarters along with a go fuck yourself.
What is the first one there? It was 125 in Washington to start. Canada was 225.
162$ to begin with even if u pay it BEFORE court...same price either way. So I fuck with them lol...I have got 2 dismissed and 1 I appealed and idiots took until now to suspend my license from last July.

162$ to begin with even if u pay it BEFORE court...same price either way. So I fuck with them lol...I have got 2 dismissed and 1 I appealed and idiots took until now to suspend my license from last July.
So it's like a moving violation there? Do you get points?
Hell here in Arizona you can get plates to ride your 4 wheeler on the street.
*Scratches NC. off of places to live*

No no points for seat belt ticket here but if you get 2 speeding tickets of over 9 mph in 1 year you get license suspended.

It must not have taken the drivers off the street because traffic is horrendous. I don't believe any speeding ticket. The congestion and the way traffic inches along someone could pick up my car and throw it faster than it rolls.

No no points for seat belt ticket here but if you get 2 speeding tickets of over 9 mph in 1 year you get license suspended.
Damn, that's getting a bit harsh. People voted for that crap or did government just write it?

I got the first Click-It ticket in Roseville, the first day the law went into effect, and I was a passenger!

rofl

Forum List

Back