3 Former Cops Charged In Wrongful Conviction That Sent A Man To Prison For 25 Years

The former detectives — Manuel Santiago, Martin Devlin and Frank Jastrzembski — played significant roles in the 1993 conviction of Anthony Wright, who has since been exonerated by DNA evidence.
Dumbass Democrats. What do you bet his gun rights are still revoked even if he's found innocent? And they lost their credibility years ago with that DNA cum cheek swab rape kit analysis shit in a court of law on Friday with nothing to eat.

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner announced charges on Friday against three former homicide detectives who made false statements that contributed to the wrongful conviction of a man who spent 25 years in prison for a rape and murder he did not commit.
The former detectives — Manuel Santiago, Martin Devlin and Frank Jastrzembski — played significant roles in the 1993 conviction of Anthony Wright, who has since been exonerated by DNA evidence. They repeated their false claims decades later during a retrial that could have kept the innocent man in prison. The former detectives were charged with perjury and false swearing in official matters after a grand jury presentment recommending the charges was unsealed on Friday.

“After hearing testimony from key witnesses and reviewing evidence, the Grand Jury recommended that Santiago, Devlin, and Jastrzembski be held accountable for lying under oath to condemn an innocent man and cover up their wrongdoing, and for perverting the integrity of law,” Krasner said Friday.
It is exceedingly rare for law enforcement officials to face criminal prosecution in relation to their roles in wrongful convictions. But reviewing wrongful convictions has been a key agenda item for Krasner, one of the leaders of the progressive prosecutor movement. In 2018, his office created the Conviction Integrity Unit, which has helped secure exonerations for 22 people. At least 18 of the exonerated were Black men. The detectives charged on Friday worked on at least four of the cases that the Conviction Integrity Unit has helped overturn.

The jury acquitted Wright of all charges after less than an hour of deliberations. Wright was freed after spending 25 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit.

What should be the punishment for these cops?

This is a prime example of the US Justice System, if not for this DA this man would probably be back in jail. That is where the old DA wanted for him.

What is the price on 25yrs of this man's life that was taken?
glad to see this...not surprised to see this sort of thing happening in liberal run cities, but glad they are doing it right....even if it took over two decades

Anyone else notice that superbadbrutha is refusing to answer any questions relating to his topic?

Refusing or unable.

Plus he spent the last 25 years at criminal college so, he must be monitored if we are to be extra safe.
And who's fault is that?

Certainly not his.

He should be compensated for those horrific 25 years.

I don't know, I haven't lived the man's life. Like most, you can probably start with the parents.

We cannot expect the government to pay out every time a technicality occurs. Very slippery slope.
You don't know?

I do. It's the fault of those three cops and the system that allowed that to happen

Getting locked up with thieves and murderers for TWENTY FIVE YEARS...is not a "technicality"

Go figure it out.

No, I sort of think that it hte type of thing that the op should have provided. That and what lies the cops actually told, are the crux of the topic. Leaving them out, is very weird.

You don't know?
No...and neither do you.

the system
So tear it all down and rebuild it correct? It's ALLLLLL RRRRRacist! Rip it apart!...root out the Klan!

Fuckin nutjob.

Getting locked up with thieves and murderers for TWENTY FIVE YEARS...is not a "technicality"

No, but may be the result of one. Orrrrrr...it may result in a simple fine. The point...moron...is legal precedence and the slippery slope created by forcing government to compensate people for errors, and indiscretions.
Once you set that ball rolling.

No...and neither do you.

So tear it all down and rebuild it correct? It's ALLLLLL RRRRRacist! Rip it apart!...root out the Klan!

Fuckin nutjob.

No, but may be the result of one. Orrrrrr...it may result in a simple fine. The point...moron...is legal precedence and the slippery slope created by forcing government to compensate people for errors, and indiscretions.
Once you set that ball rolling.
I just told you who was to blame. These three scumbag cops and the system that allowed this.

And if you're concerned about what this innocent man will do when he's released, it's on that SYSTEM to make sure he has all his needs taken care of.

He was wronged by that system. Horribly wronged and that needs to be addressed.

YOU however somehow think he always was a danger and still is. Why?

I just told you who was to blame. These three scumbag cops and the system that allowed this.
AND...the System. Can you define the system for me Lush? What are the specific components that you find are the issue?

And if you're concerned about what this innocent man will do when he's released, it's on that SYSTEM to make sure he has all his needs taken care of.
Oh...so 'the system' is to blame...but then you also entrust the safety of the public to that same system? Sounds like a convenient, imaginary, whipping boy.

He was wronged by that system. Horribly wronged and that needs to be addressed.
Everyone is affected by their environment. Greater society should not have to suffer for those effects. So, yes, he should be monitored, for a time, to ensure his, and greater societies safety.

AND...the System. Can you define the system for me Lush? What are the specific components that you find are the issue?
Would you like me to write a fucking book?

Obviously the system allowed this injustice to occur

And people like you allow that to continue.

How many times on this very thread have you blamed the victim here? How many times have you implied that he was a criminal or would now engage in criminal activities with NO evidence whatsoever?

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner announced charges on Friday against three former homicide detectives who made false statements that contributed to the wrongful conviction of a man who spent 25 years in prison for a rape and murder he did not commit.
The former detectives — Manuel Santiago, Martin Devlin and Frank Jastrzembski — played significant roles in the 1993 conviction of Anthony Wright, who has since been exonerated by DNA evidence. They repeated their false claims decades later during a retrial that could have kept the innocent man in prison. The former detectives were charged with perjury and false swearing in official matters after a grand jury presentment recommending the charges was unsealed on Friday.

“After hearing testimony from key witnesses and reviewing evidence, the Grand Jury recommended that Santiago, Devlin, and Jastrzembski be held accountable for lying under oath to condemn an innocent man and cover up their wrongdoing, and for perverting the integrity of law,” Krasner said Friday.
It is exceedingly rare for law enforcement officials to face criminal prosecution in relation to their roles in wrongful convictions. But reviewing wrongful convictions has been a key agenda item for Krasner, one of the leaders of the progressive prosecutor movement. In 2018, his office created the Conviction Integrity Unit, which has helped secure exonerations for 22 people. At least 18 of the exonerated were Black men. The detectives charged on Friday worked on at least four of the cases that the Conviction Integrity Unit has helped overturn.

The jury acquitted Wright of all charges after less than an hour of deliberations. Wright was freed after spending 25 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit.

What should be the punishment for these cops?

This is a prime example of the US Justice System, if not for this DA this man would probably be back in jail. That is where the old DA wanted for him.

What is the price on 25yrs of this man's life that was taken?

Wright is a fucking Negro. If he didn't commit that crime then he committed others.

This is exactly why I am against the death penalty.

We get it wrong too often. At least if he's later found innocent by DNA he can be compensated financially and then allowed to live out the rest of his life.

If he's executed there is no going back.

Would you like me to write a fucking book?

Obviously the system allowed this injustice to occur

And people like you allow that to continue.

How many times on this very thread have you blamed the victim here? How many times have you implied that he was a criminal or would now engage in criminal activities with NO evidence whatsoever?
Break it down for me. Just give me something brief. I really must state that I think you have a MUCH greater problem with a society which you may, or may not feel rejects you and your ideals.
To be honest, from the face, those ideals seems to be a bit radical.

Help me here, break it down a bit.

Break it down for me. Just give me something brief. I really must state that I think you have a MUCH greater problem with a society which you may, or may not feel rejects you and your ideals.
To be honest, from the face, those ideals seems to be a bit radical.

Help me here, break it down a bit.
Ya know what’s radical? You implying that this victim of the system MUST be a criminal… with no evidence

Forum List

Back