3 Body Problem

Although Netflix is not available in China, pirate copies of 3 Body season one is available. Also many Chinese use VPN in order to access internet services not allowed in China.

The Chinese people might have a problem getting the Netflix series but there is no problem with getting the books. The books are not banned in China. The author, Liu Cixin is a communist party member, who like many communist are not proud of the actions of the Red Guard attempting to remove all vestiges of what was deemed 'Un-Communist". Like many countries there are some things in their history they prefer to forget and the first episode of 3 Body Problem is one of them.

So the western version is banned in China then.

So the western version is banned in China then.
The Three Body Problem books were written in Chinese by Liu Cixin, a member of the communist party. It was first published by Chongqing Press in 2008. It was translated into English and a dozen other languages in 2012. I don't think the English version is any significant different than the Chinese version. There are a lot of difference in the Netflix series and the books.

Yep, I said I haven't watched it.

My comment was about China and Chinese people complaining about it.

"Why Netflix's 3 Body Problem Is Causing Controversy And Outrage In China"

"One particular point of contention is the opening scene, which depicts the death of Ye Wenjie's father in a "struggle session" during the Cultural Revolution. The story progresses through that historical period on and off for a couple of episodes as it shows the protagonist forced into a labor camp and tortured. "

I don't believe the Chinese people have been complaining about anything. You must mean the party.

And after the opening scene, which was great, there are very few scenes depicting the cultural revolution. And the people who have watched the series? Maybe you could listen to them and not some critic or entertainment website, whose mission is to produce clicks, more than it is about the veracity for what they supposedly report on.

The 1st season builds a foundation for what is to follow, if Netflix buys more seasons. By the end of the season, you will have a lot more questions than answers. And that is what I hate about streaming blockbuster series. It can take 2 to 3 years between seasons. By the time next season arrives, I will forgot about it.

I believe many successful series go on long past their prime. They become cash cows. I look at the changes in writers and writing. That said, some series cut off at a good point, regardless of fans with seriously tragic emotional ties to episodes.

I don't believe the Chinese people have been complaining about anything. You must mean the party.

And after the opening scene, which was great, there are very few scenes depicting the cultural revolution. And the people who have watched the series? Maybe you could listen to them and not some critic or entertainment website, whose mission is to produce clicks, more than it is about the veracity for what they supposedly report on.

The complaining is actually something very important here.

China has a way of getting people riled up about stuff. If's an important political tool for them.
"The Chinese people" is often "Xi" or at least he lets it happen.

It happens in many ways and is designed to give a sense of pride to Chinese people, to get over the time when there were many foreign countries in China doing whatever they wanted.
10 years ago most Chinese wouldn't wear clothing with Chinese characters on them. Now they do with a lot of 中國 written on them (ZhongGuo or Middle Country or China written in traditional characters) and the like.

This isn't just some comment based on some click bait.

China has a way of getting people riled up about stuff. If's an important political tool for them.

It happens in many ways and is designed to give a sense of pride to Chinese people, to get over the time when there were many foreign countries in China doing whatever they wanted.
10 years ago most Chinese wouldn't wear clothing with Chinese characters on them. Now they do with a lot of 中國 written on them (ZhongGuo or Middle Country or China written in traditional characters) and the like.

Most people do not care or are unaware of what the Chinese government is whining about. And I believe click bait is in the eye of the offended.

In the history of all countries there are things that some would prefer to ignore. In China, that is depicted in the beginning of episode 1. I think the Communist party is divided on this issue, similar to America and KKK. Most Chinese are more dissatisfied with the series creators setting most of the production in UK. In the book it is almost all set in China.

Last edited:
Most people do not care or are unaware of what the Chinese government is whining about. And I believe click bait is in the eye of the offended.

Oh right, so I should not make a post that could get people onto a topic that "Most people" are too ignorant to participate in?

In the history of all countries there are things that some would prefer to ignore. In China, that is depicted in the beginning of episode 1. I think the Communist party is divided on this issue, similar to America and KKK. Most Chinese are more dissatisfied with the series creators setting most of the production in UK. In the book it is almost all set in China.

And the reason why they're dissatisfied that it's set in the UK is because of the pumping out of Chinese nationalism. They complain about EVERYTHING now, and people are picking up on it and just expected to complain now.

And the reason why they're dissatisfied that it's set in the UK is because of the pumping out of Chinese nationalism. They complain about EVERYTHING now, and people are picking up on it and just expected to complain now.
The creators of the series decided on a UK setting because it would be a more marketable product. When I picked up the book, I was expecting a lot of communist propaganda but I have not seen that yet. The author does describe life in China and how the military and government react to alien messages from space.

Last edited:
The creators of the series decided on a UK setting because it would be a more marketable product. When I picked up the book, I was expecting a lot of communist propaganda but I have not seen that yet. The author does describe life in China and how the military and government react to alien messages from space.

Exactly. But then China will use anything to get their message across.

Exactly. But then China will use anything to get their message across.
Unlike Russia in the days before the collapse of the USSR, China has no interest in spreading communism throughout the world. In fact, the CCP can’t spread communism because it does the opposite economically in practice. The goal of China is to supplant the United States as a world leader, economically, politically, and militarily. The US being a democratic republic makes it easy for them to influence the US in ways that are beneficial to China.

Forum List

Back