3 Body Problem

Looks kinda lame to me.

When I first heard about it I wanted to like it, but just can't get past the Trailer.

Would you care to supply a link, maybe to what the heck you are talking about? I never heard of e body problem.

TV show about the Cultural Revolution in China. As soon as I heard about it I knew the Chinese govt would be complaining about it.

Apparently the book is much worse (as in, what happens in the book is more violent, unfair or whatever happens). I've not read it or seen the TV show... but it's always interesting when the Chinese govt gets a bee in its bonnet about something or other.

TV show about the Cultural Revolution in China. As soon as I heard about it I knew the Chinese govt would be complaining about it.

Apparently the book is much worse (as in, what happens in the book is more violent, unfair or whatever happens). I've not read it or seen the TV show... but it's always interesting when the Chinese govt gets a bee in its bonnet about something or other.
In episode 1 they really put in the work as far as depicting Mao's Cultural Revolution.

Looks kinda lame to me.

When I first heard about it I wanted to like it, but just can't get past the Trailer.
I usually dislike trailers, as many of them have all that's worth seeing in them. Very misleading, like most political ads.

During the whole of the first episode, and a bit into the second episode, I must confess to struggling with if I wanted to continue watching the series. Knowing others and myself have early on experienced similar feelings with tv series that turned out be good to great, I continued on viewing, and was delightfully rewarded.

Good luck if you continue on.

It is not what you portray it as. Most would learn nothing about the cultural revolution, if their only source was this movie. MAO's China plays such a peripheral part in the movie, it's probable and most likely that you are commenting upon a tv series you have not watched.

The book may be another issue, but I suspect again that you are commenting upon something you have no firsthand experience with.

In episode 1 they really put in the work as far as depicting Mao's Cultural Revolution.

I'd say the portrayal in episode 1, is very caricaturist and shallow. Would you believe a movie with a few clips showing the food lines during the great depression to be a good depiction of capitalism in the USA? There are very few instances of depictions of the cultural revolution in the series. Very few.

Were you there?
A very few scenes in an episode is really putting in the work to depict something like the cultural revolution? You are not dealing with the post, you are attacking me. Not sure why.

The post reads

I'd say the portrayal in episode 1, is very caricaturist and shallow. Would you believe a movie with a few clips showing the food lines during the great depression to be a good depiction of capitalism in the USA?

Try and deal with that, and leave me out of it. I do not appreciate the personal attack. And before you troll there, my feelings are not hurt, I do not feel insulted by the personal, anymore than I would be upset if a child during one of their tantrums, challenged me. I'm merely laying out the facts, before you can take this off topic and make it all personal. I've dealt with your kind before.

A very few scenes in an episode is really putting in the work to depict something like the cultural revolution? You are not dealing with the post, you are attacking me. Not sure why.

The post reads

Try and deal with that, and leave me out of it. I do not appreciate the personal attack. And before you troll there, my feelings are not hurt, I do not feel insulted by the personal, anymore than I would be upset if a child during one of their tantrums, challenged me. I'm merely laying out the facts, before you can take this off topic and make it all personal. I've dealt with your kind before.
I don't give two shits about your 'appreciates'......Your rustled jimmies notwithstanding.

You are the one going on about the depiction being "very caricaturist and shallow" and trying to make yourself seem knowledgeable on the subject so I was wondering if you had 1st-hand experience in the matter.

Meh, I thought not.

granny.jpg

I usually dislike trailers, as many of them have all that's worth seeing in them. Very misleading, like most political ads.

During the whole of the first episode, and a bit into the second episode, I must confess to struggling with if I wanted to continue watching the series. Knowing others and myself have early on experienced similar feelings with tv series that turned out be good to great, I continued on viewing, and was delightfully rewarded.

Good luck if you continue on.
The series picks up and makes more sense in the 3rd episode. I'm hoping Netflix will have another season of it.

It is not what you portray it as. Most would learn nothing about the cultural revolution, if their only source was this movie. MAO's China plays such a peripheral part in the movie, it's probable and most likely that you are commenting upon a tv series you have not watched.

The book may be another issue, but I suspect again that you are commenting upon something you have no firsthand experience with.

Yep, I said I haven't watched it.

My comment was about China and Chinese people complaining about it.

"Why Netflix's 3 Body Problem Is Causing Controversy And Outrage In China"

"One particular point of contention is the opening scene, which depicts the death of Ye Wenjie's father in a "struggle session" during the Cultural Revolution. The story progresses through that historical period on and off for a couple of episodes as it shows the protagonist forced into a labor camp and tortured. "

"One particular point of contention is the opening scene, which depicts the death of Ye Wenjie's father in a "struggle session" during the Cultural Revolution. The story progresses through that historical period on and off for a couple of episodes as it shows the protagonist forced into a labor camp and tortured. "
China has never liked it when others speak truth about them

The post reads

The 1st season builds a foundation for what is to follow, if Netflix buys more seasons. By the end of the season, you will have a lot more questions than answers. And that is what I hate about streaming blockbuster series. It can take 2 to 3 years between seasons. By the time next season arrives, I will forgot about it.

The series which has been released in China has drawn a lot of criticism for both the first scene and the fact that the story location was changed to the UK. In the book it was set mostly in China.

The series which has been released in China has drawn a lot of criticism for both the first scene and the fact that the story location was changed to the UK. In the book it was set mostly in China.

As far as I know it hasn't been released in China.

Firstly because it's on Netflix, which you can't get in China, unless you use a VPN, and secondly it only came out last week, so there's no way they'd have pirated it and put it on TV so soon, and based on the criticism, they won't ever.

Over 1,000,000 people were massacred in the Chinese Revolution, and more than that imprisoned.
The depiction in this movie in episode one - GREATLY - understates the brutality and barbaric murder/torture that happened.

China should appreciate that the film puts such a soft light on their past.

As far as I know it hasn't been released in China.

Firstly because it's on Netflix, which you can't get in China, unless you use a VPN, and secondly it only came out last week, so there's no way they'd have pirated it and put it on TV so soon, and based on the criticism, they won't ever.
Although Netflix is not available in China, pirate copies of 3 Body season one is available. Also many Chinese use VPN in order to access internet services not allowed in China.

The Chinese people might have a problem getting the Netflix series but there is no problem with getting the books. The books are not banned in China. The author, Liu Cixin is a communist party member, who like many communist are not proud of the actions of the Red Guard attempting to remove all vestiges of what was deemed 'Un-Communist". Like many countries there are some things in their history they prefer to forget and the first episode of 3 Body Problem is one of them.

Last edited:
Over 1,000,000 people were massacred in the Chinese Revolution, and more than that imprisoned.
The depiction in this movie in episode one - GREATLY - understates the brutality and barbaric murder/torture that happened.

China should appreciate that the film puts such a soft light on their past.
Being a communist, I'm surprised the author even addressed the actions of the Red Guards.

Forum List

Back