260,000 Veterans Have Lost Their Gun Rights Since December

The VA isn't a "lawful authority", dumbass....

So, again, they have no authority to adjudicate ANYTHING!!!!!
You obviously have no understanding of the VA and especially the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) side of the VA house! Adjudication of submitted claims for pension, disability and survivor claims is what they do. If one takes the time to actually read and understand the LAW codified at 38 USC §§ 101-8528 and then the same for the VBA REGULATIONS codified at 38 CFR Book B, ADJUDICATION, one can clearly see the VBA's authority to adjudicate; it comes from Congress via statute.

As a matter of fact, ANY ADJUCATED claim processed by the VBA with a final decision must be timely appealed through the VA process. That includes going up to the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims under the VA umbrella and beyond to the US Circuit Court of Appeals and even up to the SCOTUS.

I dealt with the VBA for over two fucking years so I had time to learn an awful lot over that time to perfect my claim. Please, do not mark me a supporter of the VA of either the health or benefits side.
Those are all "in-house", dealing with the benefits that the VA oversees, per federal law...

I was referring to something entirely different in my post- the determination that somebody is legally mentally defective, and therefore subject to losing their Second Amendment rights (which fall under the purview of the courts)....

I should have been clearer....
what you were referring to doesn't matter. the 1968 gca says that once adjudicated as a mental defective it becomes illegal for the person to own or purchase guns and ammunition.
And ONLY a COURT can make that ruling not a Government agency.
And yet the VA thinks they can....
SHOCK REPORT - Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms - The Gateway Pundit

This must be Barack Obama’s way of thanking our veterans for serving.
US veterans are receiving letters from the government informing them that they are disabled and not allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm. If the veteran does decide to purchase a firearm he will by fined, imprisoned or both.
This comes on page 2 of the VA letter.

Constitutional Attorney Michael Connelly, J.D. reported this at Red Flag News.

How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”?

You obviously have no understanding of the VA and especially the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) side of the VA house! Adjudication of submitted claims for pension, disability and survivor claims is what they do. If one takes the time to actually read and understand the LAW codified at 38 USC §§ 101-8528 and then the same for the VBA REGULATIONS codified at 38 CFR Book B, ADJUDICATION, one can clearly see the VBA's authority to adjudicate; it comes from Congress via statute.

As a matter of fact, ANY ADJUCATED claim processed by the VBA with a final decision must be timely appealed through the VA process. That includes going up to the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims under the VA umbrella and beyond to the US Circuit Court of Appeals and even up to the SCOTUS.

I dealt with the VBA for over two fucking years so I had time to learn an awful lot over that time to perfect my claim. Please, do not mark me a supporter of the VA of either the health or benefits side.
Those are all "in-house", dealing with the benefits that the VA oversees, per federal law...

I was referring to something entirely different in my post- the determination that somebody is legally mentally defective, and therefore subject to losing their Second Amendment rights (which fall under the purview of the courts)....

what you were referring to doesn't matter. the 1968 gca says that once adjudicated as a mental defective it becomes illegal for the person to own or purchase guns and ammunition.
SHOCK REPORT - Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms - The Gateway Pundit

US veterans are receiving letters from the government informing them that they are disabled and not allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm. If the veteran does decide to purchase a firearm he will by fined, imprisoned or both.

How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”?

I'd have to tell em to fuck off.

Good for the VA

With the number of PTSD suicides, the last thing these guys need is a handy firearm

The constitution contains no language giving congress the power to enact a law restricting the ability of the people of the several states from having a firearm handy.

so they send out a letter informing them that if they are found incompetent they'll also lose the ability to buy or own guns.

considerate

So now we have another scandal where the VA is screwing over the veterans they are supposed to be representing.

o-VETERANS-AFFAIRS-BUILDING-facebook-360x240.jpg

The Second Amendment has been under attack for some time now in the united States, and there has been a relentless assault by the Obama administration at attacking the rights of the people to keep and bear arms. At the forefront of that attack has been America’s veterans, andaccording to a report, at least 260,000 veteranshad their gun rights revoked by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs since December 2015.

Guns in the News reports:

Last December the VA started reporting thousands of veterans to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check system, which is responsible for determining whether or not a potential gun buyer is legally allowed to own a firearm.

Specifically, they’ve been reporting veterans who have a fiduciary trustee to act on their behalf for legal or financial matters. All veterans with this arrangement are beingautomatically declared “mentally defective” according to Guns.com, and are having their second amendmentrights revoked. Over the past 4 months alone the VA has reported over 260,000 veterans to the NICS, which now accounts for 99% of all “mentally defective” claims to the database.

Of course, not all veterans with a fiduciary trustee are a danger to themselves or others, and unfortunately the VA hasn’t bothered to investigate any of these individuals to see if they should be reported. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa has been questioning the VA on this matter, and hopes to put a stop to it. “The very agency created to serve them (veterans) is jeopardizing their Second Amendment rights through an erroneous reading of gun regulations. The VA’s careless approach to our veterans’ constitutional rights is disgraceful.”

This is not new and doesn’t seem to be going away. In February, the National RifleAssociation was attempting to discover which veterans this was happening to across the country.

Once again, Guns in the News reported:

As we have reported several times in the past (including here and here), the Veterans Administration (VA) has been reporting to the National InstantCriminal Background Check System (NICS) the identities of its beneficiaries who have been assigned a “fiduciary” to manage their benefits. The VA claims that such determinations constitute an “adjudication of mental defectiveness” under federal law, thereby prohibiting the beneficiary (presumptively for life) from acquiring or possessingfirearms.

I am a Vietnam Combat Vet and exposed to Agent Orange but never used any benefit from Uncle Sam. There are a few Vietnam Combat Vets who are off their rocker.

That's too bad. I'm a combat vet as well and used the GI bill to get my College degree. I also used the GI Bill to buy my first home. It's a shame that you didn't take advantage of what was there for you - but, to each his own.

so they send out a letter informing them that if they are found incompetent they'll also lose the ability to buy or own guns.

considerate
It also demonstrates the VA's intent to circumvent the law, since someone can only be stripped of their civil rights by COURT ORDER....

And the VA is attempting to do that on their own, WITHOUT A COURT HEARING to determine if the veteran is actually a danger to himself or others....

Yep, that Senate hearing that's coming up promises to be real interesting, especially in light of possible civil rights violations !!!!

So now we have another scandal where the VA is screwing over the veterans they are supposed to be representing.

o-VETERANS-AFFAIRS-BUILDING-facebook-360x240.jpg

The Second Amendment has been under attack for some time now in the united States, and there has been a relentless assault by the Obama administration at attacking the rights of the people to keep and bear arms. At the forefront of that attack has been America’s veterans, andaccording to a report, at least 260,000 veteranshad their gun rights revoked by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs since December 2015.

Guns in the News reports:

Last December the VA started reporting thousands of veterans to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check system, which is responsible for determining whether or not a potential gun buyer is legally allowed to own a firearm.

Specifically, they’ve been reporting veterans who have a fiduciary trustee to act on their behalf for legal or financial matters. All veterans with this arrangement are beingautomatically declared “mentally defective” according to Guns.com, and are having their second amendmentrights revoked. Over the past 4 months alone the VA has reported over 260,000 veterans to the NICS, which now accounts for 99% of all “mentally defective” claims to the database.

Of course, not all veterans with a fiduciary trustee are a danger to themselves or others, and unfortunately the VA hasn’t bothered to investigate any of these individuals to see if they should be reported. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa has been questioning the VA on this matter, and hopes to put a stop to it. “The very agency created to serve them (veterans) is jeopardizing their Second Amendment rights through an erroneous reading of gun regulations. The VA’s careless approach to our veterans’ constitutional rights is disgraceful.”

This is not new and doesn’t seem to be going away. In February, the National RifleAssociation was attempting to discover which veterans this was happening to across the country.

Once again, Guns in the News reported:

As we have reported several times in the past (including here and here), the Veterans Administration (VA) has been reporting to the National InstantCriminal Background Check System (NICS) the identities of its beneficiaries who have been assigned a “fiduciary” to manage their benefits. The VA claims that such determinations constitute an “adjudication of mental defectiveness” under federal law, thereby prohibiting the beneficiary (presumptively for life) from acquiring or possessingfirearms.

There is no real news site or fact-based news to back this up.

But I'm all for taking away the gun rights of dishonorable discharges.

I would agree with you to this extent: I would have no problem with that if it involved violence that resulted in a BCD (that also resulted in federal charges and jail time).

I distinctly recall a young E-6 who worked for me who, having been in the field for 5 weeks, came home early to find his Wife in bed with the Platoon Leader (2nd Lieutenant) of an adjacent company. He went a little ape shit and beat the hell out of the Lieutenant. Well now - the Army can't have an enlisted man beating up an officer - so they gave him a BCD and sent him on his way. The "officer" was "allowed" to resign his commission. I guess the Army considered that "justice".

The point? The Army gave the E-6 no formal charges, no jail time. So, basically, he was guilty of nothing. I am not in favor of taking a guy's rights away - for the rest of his life - over a domestic dispute that didn't involve violence against his "Former" Wife. But that's MY opinion.

considerate
It also demonstrates the VA's intent to circumvent the law, since someone can only be stripped of their civil rights by COURT ORDER....

And the VA is attempting to do that on their own, WITHOUT A COURT HEARING to determine if the veteran is actually a danger to himself or others....

Yep, that Senate hearing that's coming up promises to be real interesting, especially in light of possible civil rights violations !!!!

...And that's why, while I used my GI Bill benefits - I have never, and WILL NEVER walk through the door of a VA Medical facility. NEVER.

considerate

again, you keep repeating it, but that doesn't make it true.

considerate

And your bullshit assertion that the VA can strip innocent citizens of their rights without a court hearing is just that.... BULLSHIT....

considerate

And your bullshit assertion that the VA can strip innocent citizens of their rights without a court hearing is just that.... BULLSHIT....
reality my friend. try visiting sometime.

considerate

I KNOW what reality is....

It's what will happen when the VA puts their unconstitutional actions up against the "power of the purse" in a high-stakes game of chicken....

They'll fold faster than a "toilet flush" in a high-stakes poker game....

considerate

It's what will happen when the VA puts their unconstitutional actions up against the "power of the purse" in a high-stakes game of chicken....

the va is simply following the law

By excluding the courts, and having some bureaucrat strip vets of their rights????

Sorry, but you're wrong...

By excluding the courts, and having some bureaucrat strip vets of their rights????

except i'm not. see, if i were wrong then at some point someone would have challenged the va and won. that isn't the case. why hasn't that happened?

and as i cited for you before, several very 'conservative' senators do not dispute that the va can make determinations of mental deficiency.

and you also forget - people can dispute the findings of the va in court, meaning that the courts are involved

so while you're whining about the va following the law what you should be doing is encouraging your congressmen to change the law to reflect your feelings that being found mentally deficient should not prevent someone from owning a gun.

considerate

I would suggest you do a little research. It's happening more and more every day. Rather than yelling "bullshit" - check it out for yourself. Or are you afraid of what you will find?

except i'm not. see, if i were wrong then at some point someone would have challenged the va and won. that isn't the case. why hasn't that happened?

and as i cited for you before, several very 'conservative' senators do not dispute that the va can make determinations of mental deficiency.

and you also forget - people can dispute the findings of the va in court, meaning that the courts are involved

so while you're whining about the va following the law what you should be doing is encouraging your congressmen to change the law to reflect your feelings that being found mentally deficient should not prevent someone from owning a gun.

Or, as the old man once said, "there is none so blind as he who will not see" and I think that this guy doesn't want to turn on the lights and see for himself. More willful ignorance on his part - typical liberal.

Really rather lame to go with that. If that is your claim NOW, why wasn't it from the start? The first source you linked in your OP states what the subject was, so how could you not understand what you posted and why of a sudden is it now something different! Let me refresh your memory with a passage from that source you cited in your OP;

Specifically, they’ve been reporting veterans who have a fiduciary trustee to act on their behalf for legal or financial matters. All veterans with this arrangement are being automatically declared “mentally defective” according to Guns.com, and are having their second amendment rights revoked. Over the past 4 months alone the VA has reported over 260,000 veterans to the NICS, which now accounts for 99% of all “mentally defective” claims to the database. < 260,000 Veterans Have Lost Their Gun Rights Since December >

Now do you really want to try and claim you were hijacking your own fucking thread? That turd doesn't have wings and ain't gonna fly! You have gone on through this entire thread with a finger pointed at the VA. The VBA was the entity that adjudicated the decisions for those with fiduciaries, and they could be challenged when the decision was final. That was/is the law. The authority for that, as well as the appeal process, was authorized by CONGRESS and signed into LAW! Trying to cover your ass now because you had no understanding of how the VBA works by trying to weasel out of your fraud is a fools errand and so very transparent!
The question being addressed in this thread is not whether the VA has the authority to oversee a program administered by their agency.... They certainly have that....

The question being posed is whether the VA can usurp the role of the courts in adjudicating a veteran to be mentally incompetent for the purpose of owning a firearm....

The actual ruling on that has to be handed down by a court of competent jurisdiction, since it effectively strips an individual of their LEGAL RIGHTS under US law....

Or are you trying to maintain that the VA is above US law????
What I'm saying is that you do not know jack shit about the subject. Even your "sources" in the OP are highly suspect. Congress gave the VBA the power to determine, through medical evidence via examination as part of the claims process, whether or not a beneficiary of VA benefits was or was not competent. If found incompetent, the beneficiary was to be assigned a fiduciary to manage the beneficiary's financial affairs viv-a-vis their monthly VA benefits. That rule was posted in 67 FR 46868, July 17, 2002. you can look it up after you read 38 CFR, Book B, ADJUCATION!

If, as you say, there is a ruling on that that, "...handed down by a court of competent jurisdiction, since it effectively strips an individual of their LEGAL RIGHTS under US law....", then what the hell is that ruling. Cite it with a proper link so we can all read it! BTW, I tried to edify you on the legal path the VA must follow, which is THE FUCKING COMPETENT JURISDICTION FOR ALL VA CLAIMS. No other Court outside the VA can grant standing for a VA benefits dispute until all VA appeal sources have been exhausted, meaning all the way through and out of the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.

You really don't know jack shit on this topic, so why don't you stop digging the damn hole deeper for yourself!
And once again, you go off on a rant about the VA's ability to administer their own programs, when the topic of this thread is the VA's practice of taking away veterans' Constitutional right to own firearms (a role reserved for the COURTS)....

It appears to me that you need to get on topic and quit making a complete Jackass of yourself.....

And if you want to discuss VA BENEFITS, as opposed to the VA's illegal actions in denying veterans their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, maybe you should start a thread on that, before everyone decides that your inability to focus on the topic just might mean that YOU are mentally defective...
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What bloody hubris! YOU invoked the VA and the fiduciary requirements in your OP fool! The proposition of the appointment of a fiduciary by the VA can only occur through the process of applying for VA benefits, IDIOT! Now your trying to sweep your ignorance under the carpet and pretend your OP isn't about the VA process at all. That is a fucking stupid proposition to push, shit for brains!
The question being posed is whether the VA can usurp the role of the courts in adjudicating a veteran to be mentally incompetent for the purpose of owning a firearm....

The actual ruling on that has to be handed down by a court of competent jurisdiction, since it effectively strips an individual of their LEGAL RIGHTS under US law....
What is that ruling all seeing and all knowing one? Can't cite it? This is the third time you've been challenged to cite that, but you just can't find it? Hell, you won't even mention it!!!! Maybe it just doesn't exist because you were shoveling HORSESHIT to cover your ugly fucking ass! Further, explain exactly how the VBA got involved in the first place if it didn't involve the claims process. If it didn't involve a claim for benefits, the VBA sure as Hell wouldn't be involved with the process of establishing fiduciaries for incompetent vets and you would never have started this thread, you brain-dead ass!

You were given specific sources of VBA's duties as established by Congress and their final rules as published in the Federal Register. The VBA is NOT usurping the authority of any Court, fool! Their process determines the medical status with regards to the competency of the veteran. You are just really, really fucked up and you are too stupid and fearful to not eat a little crow now rather than an entire murder of crows later. Obiwan, by you're own vibrating device fucked you are now!

Because the ONLY way to kill yourself is with a gun. You are such an idiot.

Two out of three suicides in the U.S. Involve a firearm

Problem with a gun vs other forms of suicide is that it only takes a split second to kill and you can't change your mind

So jumping from a tall building is any different?
yep. climbing to the top of a tall building, finding a place to jump, and then diing so is a lot more difficult than getting drunk and sad with a loaded gun

Look, I know I'm wasting my time here, you liberal idiots wouldn't ever admit you were wrong even if you were smart enough to realize you were wrong. But hey, I'm bored at the moment so here is a clue for you:

It doesn't matter if guns make it easier, the simple fact is that if someone is determined to kill themselves lack of a gun won't stop them. They do not kill themselves because they have a gun.

No charge for the education.
the simple fact is that people with access to guns kill themselves more frequently than those without. that's a fact, and nobody has been able to dispute it with anything other than their feelings

You don't understand the concept of cause and effect. Not surprising, you are an idiot.

Problem with a gun vs other forms of suicide is that it only takes a split second to kill and you can't change your mind

yep. climbing to the top of a tall building, finding a place to jump, and then diing so is a lot more difficult than getting drunk and sad with a loaded gun

Look, I know I'm wasting my time here, you liberal idiots wouldn't ever admit you were wrong even if you were smart enough to realize you were wrong. But hey, I'm bored at the moment so here is a clue for you:

It doesn't matter if guns make it easier, the simple fact is that if someone is determined to kill themselves lack of a gun won't stop them. They do not kill themselves because they have a gun.

the simple fact is that people with access to guns kill themselves more frequently than those without. that's a fact, and nobody has been able to dispute it with anything other than their feelings

No..that just means they bought a gun because it was the easy way and in no way indicates they wouldnt have jumped off a parking garage if they couldnt access a gun.

I don't think liberals even know what a "fact" is or how they relate to truth.

Forum List

Back