25 Signs That Military Veterans Are Being Treated Like Absolute Trash Under The Obama

finally though it's clear that inefficiency alone can't account for a backlog of 400k. that tells me we need to do two things in addition to streamlining - we need to change the threshold and way in which disability benefits are granted and we need to fund more claims examiners.

do you have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

The problem is how the VA operates.

As an example, when I was discharged in 1993, I was rated at 10% disability. A month later I met with a VA administrator who reduced this to 0%.

And I submitted claim after claim to get it restored to 10%. And for the next 14 years my rating would bounce between 10% and 0%.

When I was a full-time student I put in an application for 100% during the time I was in school (this is fully allowed). And it was denied. I put this in 3 times in 9 months, only to have them finally accept me, in a letter telling me I was eligible for 100%, but since I had graduated I was no longer eligible.

The VA is a bloated, uncaring bureaucratic nightmare. If you are retired or rated at 80% or more, they are great because they have to take care of you. For anybody else, it is a nightmare most times.

you figure out how to fix malaise in a bureaucracy and you'll win a nobel prize. :)

i think perhaps one solution would be to require all disability claims start and end with a va doctor. base all disability claims on their assessment and recommendation. this might help to cut down fraud and would certainly lessen wait times, however it would require more doctors.

10% won't get you anything. You have to be over 30% to get any kind of disability.

I'm 10%, and that was from a broken nose during a boxing smoker.

It is supposed to get you treatment for the service connected disability that is related to me.

I spent 10 years as a grunt, and have the knees to prove it. I got medboarded from the Marines with a 10% (I fought this process for 3 years).

And even at 0%, they are supposed to treat a service connected disability.

What I went through was some administrator reduced it to 0%. A year later would see a doctor and they would put it back to 10%, then some administrator a few months later would set it back to 0% again.

Legally this is supposed to make no difference in treatment for my knee, but it did have many impacts. Mostly because before they would even treat it, they would have to reevaluate me again.

And again, and again, and again, and again.

I was never trying to "milk the system", I just wanted treatment for my knee in jury. This frustration with how incompetent the VA was was actually a small part of why I finally joined again in 2007, at the age of 42. I got better treatment for my knee in my first year back to active duty then I ever did in 14 years of the VA.

And yes, I lied my ass off to get back into the military. The evaluating doctors having me do all kinds of bends and squats and asking if it hurt. Of course I had popped 1600mg of Motrin before the exam, and I said "no sir, not at all" as I did whatever they wanted.

Sometimes having a high pain tolerance is a good thing.

10% won't get you anything. You have to be over 30% to get any kind of disability.

I'm 10%, and that was from a broken nose during a boxing smoker.

It is supposed to get you treatment for the service connected disability that is related to me.

I spent 10 years as a grunt, and have the knees to prove it. I got medboarded from the Marines with a 10% (I fought this process for 3 years).

And even at 0%, they are supposed to treat a service connected disability.

What I went through was some administrator reduced it to 0%. A year later would see a doctor and they would put it back to 10%, then some administrator a few months later would set it back to 0% again.

Legally this is supposed to make no difference in treatment for my knee, but it did have many impacts. Mostly because before they would even treat it, they would have to reevaluate me again.

And again, and again, and again, and again.

I was never trying to "milk the system", I just wanted treatment for my knee in jury. This frustration with how incompetent the VA was was actually a small part of why I finally joined again in 2007, at the age of 42. I got better treatment for my knee in my first year back to active duty then I ever did in 14 years of the VA.

And yes, I lied my ass off to get back into the military. The evaluating doctors having me do all kinds of bends and squats and asking if it hurt. Of course I had popped 1600mg of Motrin before the exam, and I said "no sir, not at all" as I did whatever they wanted.

Sometimes having a high pain tolerance is a good thing.

The Motrin probably didn't hurt either.

I got my tonsils taken out way back in 1980. The Navy wouldn't do it, so I ETSed and went to the VA in San Diego. They took care of it. That was the last time.

Best bet is use your insurance and stay away from the VA.

I didn't want anyone fucking me up.

i think perhaps one solution would be to require all disability claims start and end with a va doctor. base all disability claims on their assessment and recommendation. this might help to cut down fraud and would certainly lessen wait times, however it would require more doctors.

An even simpler solution would be to simply have them stop second-guessing the military Medical Review Boards who process people out for medical based discharges.

I was injured in 1990, and fought my discharge hard for almost 3 years. Finally in 1993 I was told "No dice, you gotta get out, troop cuts. Can't use infantry with bad knees."

So I got this nice form from the Navy saying 10% disability, and this is also reflected on my DD-214. And I never tried to up that disability, I simply tried to get the care I was entitled to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, I never even applied for the disability payments! Not worth it, did not want it.

A lot of this could simply be eliminated if they take the military at face value, at least for disabilities 30% and under. If somebody has an 80% or higher disability, that is one thing. But in a case like mine where the rating is only 10% and only for the injury that caused the discharge, why all the freaking hassle? All I ever really wanted was to get my 800mg Motrin refills, and a new knee brace every few years as I wore out my old one.

When I got out of the military in 1988, I had no VA care after service until the Bush era...

Last edited:
finally though it's clear that inefficiency alone can't account for a backlog of 400k. that tells me we need to do two things in addition to streamlining - we need to change the threshold and way in which disability benefits are granted and we need to fund more claims examiners.

As an example, when I was discharged in 1993, I was rated at 10% disability. A month later I met with a VA administrator who reduced this to 0%.

And I submitted claim after claim to get it restored to 10%. And for the next 14 years my rating would bounce between 10% and 0%.

When I was a full-time student I put in an application for 100% during the time I was in school (this is fully allowed). And it was denied. I put this in 3 times in 9 months, only to have them finally accept me, in a letter telling me I was eligible for 100%, but since I had graduated I was no longer eligible.

The VA is a bloated, uncaring bureaucratic nightmare. If you are retired or rated at 80% or more, they are great because they have to take care of you. For anybody else, it is a nightmare most times.

you figure out how to fix malaise in a bureaucracy and you'll win a nobel prize. :)

Yeah, but those Bush loving Republicans keep cutting off the fucken funding......bastards.:mad:

So Obama's hands are tied.

Oh look! Another person jealous of the VA!

Did you get a Bad Conduct Discharge when you were booted out? Or Dishonorable?

No....I'm retired.

I have nothing to do with them. I got a VA loan 30 years ago, but other than that I don't use their benefits.

Are you retired military? If you are, do you enjoy your retirement pay? If you're not, then you're just jealous guys like me bring in over $4k a month to sit on our asses and make you look like a fool on internet forums.

And anyone with over 180 days active duty without a BCD or Undesirable discharge are eligible for the GI bill.

$4K a month :lol: whoopie de doo big playa

Yeah, but those Bush loving Republicans keep cutting off the fucken funding......bastards.:mad:

you have to admit that underfunding could be playing a role.

No, it does not. The VA was crap 20 years ago, it is crap today.

Money does not solve everything. Welfare is a perfect example of that. You have to solve the actual problem, simply throwing money at it solves nothing.

Piss-poor management more like.

It takes about 4 weeks to see my doc when requesting an appointment at the VA..

I called Tuesday, saw my Doctor today. Never had to wait a month.

Looks to me like what we're seeing here are disgruntled vets who didn't get what they wanteed.

Looks to me like what we're seeing here are disgruntled vets who didn't get what they wanteed.

A lot of it also depends on where you are at.

I admit, I had pretty good care from the VA when I was in Alabama, it only sucked that it was a 4 hour drive away.

But Los Angeles? Good God! Make an appointment today and they might see you by mid-June if you are lucky. My last doctor in LA must have been in his 80's, kept trying to check my elbow, and tried to renew my prescription with 200mg Motrin. The guy was senile, and had no business practicing medicine.

I think the main thing I have gotten from various groups is that the quality of local clinics is hit and miss. Some veterans even report they will drive hours to one, because a closer one was so bad. And any time you have to deal with the VA at a national level, good luck to you.

That's always you motherfuckers' excuse.

Democraps screw everything up and you want more money which means more taxes.

Fuck you.

Truth is you can't spend your way out of incompetence.

no, you're right. there is probably some waste and inefficiency that could be cut out of the VA. i don't know how you lay that all at the president's feet, but you're right that it could be done.

you also have to recognize that when we started two wars we should have planned for this - we did not. that doesn't lay so much with obama as it does with the president and congress back in 2002.

Getting rid of Obama would be a good start.

Seems his people are either incompetent or criminally negligent.

11,000 backlog the day he walks in,.....currently over 400,000 today.

What do you think is the problem?

You're so full of shit. Really. Full of shit.

Yeah, all of you libs tell us the same nonsense.

I keep hearing different from everyone else.

Maybe it's Obama fucking with conservatives again......

the russians aren't a threat. they aren't about to start a shooting war with us.

and since things are wrapping up in afghanistan it's plain to see that in fact times are changing.

Times are changing.

al Qaeda has been dealt a heavy blow, the Russians are showing their weakness more and more, and the world isn't dangerous anymore.

Maybe a few less paint chips would help. mkay?

The last major Al Qaeda attack on the US homeland occurred, when?

Exactly?

Uh, back when the Republicans ran everything?

Forum List

Back