2022 Garden

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
Thought I'd put up a thread for this year gardening.

We have already started sweet potatoes, did first hilling on those today.
We have tomatoes already on the plants ,mint doing good along with bell peppers,banana plant I managed to save already producing [ babies for a better word],etc..

I have my lemon tree.

I'm going to get my eggplant.....plant. I'm not doing anything major foodwise. I don't have the room.

I am on a quest to grow some other things though.

Got some grow lights a few months ago and have a nice little lettuce patch -the ginger experiment was a failure though. Soon I'll start some seeds for hot peppers, kale, tomatoes... Here in mid-Michigan it'll be another couple months before anything can be done outside.

Got some grow lights a few months ago and have a nice little lettuce patch -the ginger experiment was a failure though. Soon I'll start some seeds for hot peppers, kale, tomatoes... Here in mid-Michigan it'll be another couple months before anything can be done outside.

Do you have a sunny window you can put them in? Maybe put the grow lights side sun is not shining on?
Compost, we have a green house but the heat is really costing us, need to make it smaller. I'm in Florida but we had some freezes last month.

Sorry about leaving the thread for so long I've been dealing in politics something I said I was going to stay out of. o_O

Do you have a sunny window you can put them in? Maybe put the grow lights side sun is not shining on?
Compost, we have a green house but the heat is really costing us, need to make it smaller. I'm in Florida but we had some freezes last month.
I do have a sunny window with some happy houseplants... never had luck growing seeds there. With the grow lights I can grow things in the basement!

Have you tried water in black containers for heat? The water supposedly warms from the sun coming into the greenhouse and retains heat- at least for a while.

I do have a sunny window with some happy houseplants... never had luck growing seeds there. With the grow lights I can grow things in the basement!

Have you tried water in black containers for heat? The water supposedly warms from the sun coming into the greenhouse and retains heat- at least for a while.

No not yet but it is a good idea. I need to find some containers though. But this year it has been so much work on hubby,he is working on our way to go.Plus helping me save our fence and a 100 other things.

Those look interesting Disir. Have you planted any yet?
Nope. Not yet. I will plant about 4 different types of marigolds this weekend. Then do the Mexican sun flowers and a couple of black susan vines afterwards.

This weekend I am also planting what I am guessing are dormant strawberry plants into one of those Mr. Stacky planter things. It's 20 strawberry plants that have been shoved into an envelope.

Nope. Not yet. I will plant about 4 different types of marigolds this weekend. Then do the Mexican sun flowers and a couple of black susan vines afterwards.

This weekend I am also planting what I am guessing are dormant strawberry plants into one of those Mr. Stacky planter things. It's 20 strawberry plants that have been shoved into an envelope.

Ok well good luck its fun trying out new plants.

I have planted my potatoes. We will get the frost free date by the time they come up. If not, I can cover them until we get there. I have started tomato, hot peppers, lemon cucumbers and red lettuce inside. They are all up. Whether they live another month, who knows. I do it to do it. I keep extra to direct sow.

9 Greens That Naturally Ward Off Garden Pests​

Have you tried companion planting yet?​

I've been doing it for a while and am still trying different combos. Best results so far has been with marigolds next to tomatoes. Happily, marigolds are very easy to collect seeds from for the next year.

I've been doing it for a while and am still trying different combos. Best results so far has been with marigolds next to tomatoes. Happily, marigolds are very easy to collect seeds from for the next year.

It took me a few years to get brave enough to eat marigold petals since the plant itself smells so ugh but that are actually interesting. No real flavor or smell but they have a weird silky texture that is interesting on the tongue. Almost a faux-creaminess.

Forum List

Back