1976 Colt New Frontier .22/.22Mag

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up a "cosmetically challenged" 1976 Colt New Frontier with the scarce 4.25" barrel this morning at my local pawn shop. It looked like it had been stored under a truck seat since '76.
smiley_abused.gif

Lots of minor to midland surface rust. It was easily removed but it ate at the case hardened finish on the frame.

It only came with the .22 Magnum cylinder but I already ordered a .22 LR spare cylinder (they are "plug-n-play") so I'm into it about $395.00.

c 002 (2).JPG

I have the model in three barrel lengths now (6", 4.75", 4.25") .....I still need a 7.5" N.F..

c 001 (2).JPG

My Dad had one of those with a 6" bbl. Great shooter!

The .22 magnum is an underrated round. But you better wear hearing protection. That report is SHARP!

Great buy, congrats!

My Dad had one of those with a 6" bbl. Great shooter!

The .22 magnum is an underrated round. But you better wear hearing protection. That report is SHARP!

Great buy, congrats!
I'll switch out the cylinder to .22 LR when I get it in.....The trifecta will go to my Great Grandson when he's old enough.

I was never all that keen on .22 magnum in a handgun, there's very little net gain over .22lr in the shorter barrel lengths.....IMHO .22 Mag is best suited for rifles and even then unless it's used on groundhogs, fox, bobcat, or some such its really not all that.

I picked-up a "cosmetically challenged" 1976 Colt New Frontier with the scarce 4.25" barrel this morning at my local pawn shop. It looked like it had been stored under a truck seat since '76.
smiley_abused.gif

Lots of minor to midland surface rust. It was easily removed but it ate at the case hardened finish on the frame.

It only came with the .22 Magnum cylinder but I already ordered a .22 LR spare cylinder (they are "plug-n-play") so I'm into it about $395.00.

View attachment 685043

I have the model in three barrel lengths now (6", 4.75", 4.25") .....I still need a 7.5" N.F..

View attachment 685044
/——/ You know more than me about hand guns, but I’d be wary of firing the one that was so poorly maintained and having it blow up in my hand.

With It being a .22 thats not likely.
Hell,it wouldnt likely blow up if it were a .45 long colt.
LOL.....Speaking of which I have a 1960 SAA (2nd gen.) that's one of my favorites.....It was another "truck gun" and it's so fugly I shoot the hell out of it....No issues.

/——/ You know more than me about hand guns, but I’d be wary of firing the one that was so poorly maintained and having it blow up in my hand.

Yeah, I know what I'm about on such things. If I have any doubt about the safety of a firearm I either pass or part it out.

cc 001 (2).JPG

Forum List

Back