1954 Marlin 39A "Mountie"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found a 39a with a few "warts" today....I took a chance on it at $400.00.

Brick Office supplies Wood Gun accessory Font

It was said that it would not eject and I suspected a broken ejector spring and that is what it was....Broken in half....I ordered a replacement.

Of course "Bob" had to carve his darn initial on the forend....At least that's all the 'artwork'. I'll leave it be.

The butt plate was loose so that allowed the white spacer to shrink a good 1/32" all the way around...I just removed it and put it away....I like it better without it anyhow.

The carbine needs to be taken apart and cleaned but I'll wait till I get the spring in then do a detail strip/cleaning.

The bore/crown is fine. This one is D&Ted on the barrel for a weaver mount/scope.

Marlin makes my favorite .22..or they did..
I have another (1957) "Mountie" I bought a few years back....It wears a Lyman receiver sight. It's in very nice shape. Hard to believe these (JM marked) L/A .22s are near 1K now.....Quit building them and they will come. ;)

a_001__2__JPG-1766970.JPG

When I get my ejector spring in and installed I'll put a on-hand Williams Foolproof receiver sight on the '54.

Marlin L/As cry out for a receiver sight. I have them on all but one of my Marlins and that's a 1955 336C "Texan" in .35 rem that I killed my first deer in '67 and last deer in '17 with....I figured 50 years of deer hunting was enough. I took a shit-ton of deer with that rifle.

DSCN5599_2.jpg

I only own one .22lr and that is a Lithgow Arms carbine.

Beautifully machined with a laminated stock of birch or ash. Factory installed picatinny rail and a threaded barrel for a suppressor

Made in Australia, it's a tack hammer.

I only own one .22lr and that is a Lithgow Arms carbine.

Beautifully machined with a laminated stock of birch or ash. Factory installed picatinny rail and a threaded barrel for a suppressor

Made in Australia, it's a tack hammer.
But yet I bet my BSA/Parker-Hale #2 MK IV trainer could shoot rings around it with irons. ;)

They were popular in Aussieland too....Many being built on Lithgow SMLEs.

They are the only rifle you have to stop shooting when the mag is full.....It's a single shot that ejects the empties into the gutted mag.

p-h.jpg

They are the only rifle you have to stop shooting when the mag is full.....It's a single shot that ejects the empties into the gutted mag.

A nice feature for a sniper. No shell casings left behind to indicate a previous firing position.

A nice feature for a sniper. No shell casings left behind to indicate a previous firing position.
I have a trainer barreled action (I bought seven barreled #2 MK IV actions/bolts and kept two) that I was thinking of building a integrally suppressed .22 DeLisle carbine on..... A non suppressed 16" version would be easy enough.

FasEwggyhPpd1SiZGQ964lhN3gZ_YNtFk4EsTpZn96M.jpg

Forum List

Back