Zone1 1560 Geneva Bible

I'm sorry to hear about your family loss. I just lost my mother this past week.

The ESV is showing his theology preferences. It usually means a person is a Calvinist....usually a theology that kills churches. Most people don't like it as it twists scriptures to form it.

Yeah. It was my mom too. She passed on Sunday. The funeral was Thursday. I have been down here with her since August 2nd to care for her not knowing how long it I was going to be here. I still don’t. My dad isn’t taking it well. That’s how I got this Geneva Bible. My brother knew I had wanted one for a while. He gave it to me as a thank you gift for coming down to help with momma.

Steve Anderson hates Calvinism. This isn’t the best video out there. I wish I could find the one I wanted to show you. Perhaps it has been deleted.

Then you’d be worse off then if you didn’t read the Bible at all.

- or knew on site the 1st forgery to stop there forever more.

the heavenly prescribed spoken religion of antiquity, the triumph of good vs evil as granted a&e on their chosen quest for self determination is no greater a goal to achieve.

- or knew on site the 1st forgery to stop there forever more.

the heavenly prescribed spoken religion of antiquity, the triumph of good vs evil as granted a&e on their chosen quest for self determination is no greater a goal to achieve.

This thread is about the Geneva Bible. In all of humanity you are the only one that has ever mentioned the religion of antiquity. You can say it ten million times. It still has no credibility. I ate a lot of chicken yesterday. That means the chicken had to die. That means someone killed it and I ordered the killing. Evil always triumphs over evil. That is how this world works. Yes. Religions and governments are no different. They are evil to the core. These evil institutions have had bookoo influence over the course of humanity. Good stuff never influenced humanity. We need violence and evil to survive as a species. Your 5 year old theology impresses nobody. Do you just keep harping on this because your brain has become mush from frequent illicit drug use or do you just pound on this because you think it irritates people? If it is the latter then congratulations. Your anti-intellectual doctrine annoys the piss out of me. Go to the 4 year old message board. They’ll be impressed with your 5 year old intellectual maturity but as for the folks here you look really silly. You have been asked multiple times by multiple people to give us a source of this religion of antiquity yet you refuse to do it time after time. That means you made it up. This thread is about the Geneva Bible. Let’s stay on track.

In all of humanity you are the only one that has ever mentioned the religion of antiquity.
Therefore they thought the King James Bible was sinister.

the pilgrims, knew the truth ...

the heavenly religion of antiquity is what jesus taught in the 1st century, liberation theology, self determination -

nothing of which is found in the 10000 page 4th century c-bible written by the crucifiers - servitude and denial and no it is not through their victim they falsely use - for accomplishing remission to the everlasting.

but keeping some of the language of the old version, which is actually pretty nice. Being 'hard to read' isn't an issue for me.
Netrix Is Returning to Every-Which-Way Spelling

Both the KJV and Shakespeare had the retarded and inconsistent spelling that was used in that grammar-defective age. Literalists are so picky I'm surprised they don't demand that the spelling be changed back to the original and anyone who reads the modernized spelling is a heretic.

Practically all other quotations from that age retain the original spelling. You can't read Newton's original letters without feeling he was a moron. Outside of the KJV and Shakespeare, academics retain the original spelling, showing how separated they are from common sense and making reading easier.

Netrix Is Returning to Every-Which-Way Spelling

Both the KJV and Shakespeare had the retarded and inconsistent spelling that was used in that grammar-defective age. Literalists are so picky I'm surprised they don't demand that the spelling be changed back to the original and anyone who reads the modernized spelling is a heretic.

Practically all other quotations from that age retain the original spelling. You can't read Newton's original letters without feeling he was a moron. Outside of the KJV and Shakespeare, academics retain the original spelling, showing how separated they are from common sense and making reading easier.

Standardized spelling wasn’t a thing in 1560 or in 1611. I don’t know when that started but many credit Noah Webster for standardized spelling. Original 1611 King James Bibles have the awkward and inconsistent spellings. I’m not sure when the King James Bible was revisited with consistent spelling. Maybe somebody here knows that.

Standardized spelling wasn’t a thing in 1560 or in 1611. I don’t know when that started but many credit Noah Webster for standardized spelling. Original 1611 King James Bibles have the awkward and inconsistent spellings. I’m not sure when the King James Bible was revisited with consistent spelling. Maybe somebody here knows that.
There was one revision to the 1611 KJV to fix the spelling errors and a few other errors but it was the least popular and didn't last long before Cambridge and Oxford universities remade it completely (Oxford got its name put in but really didn't do much work. Cambridge did all the heavy lifting for the "modern commonly used" KJV.)
However, the commonly used KJV wasn't popular until the 1920's due to a massive marketing campaign that never bothered to mention that the translation was tilted towards the Church of England's doctrines. (All English translations are tilted to some degree including the NIV which tries to appease all doctrines)
The NKJV is a completely separate work altogether.

I'm sorry to hear about your family loss. I just lost my mother this past week.

The ESV is showing his theology preferences. It usually means a person is a Calvinist....usually a theology that kills churches. Most people don't like it as it twists scriptures to form it.

How so?

English as a language developed over many years, from Chaucer to Shakespeare and beyond. It wasn't hard to read for their contemporaries. Both produced some excellent literature. You're right about Webster being a huge contributor.

How is the scripture twisted?
Calvinism is a theology system dependent on 5 guidelines : TULIP .

It focuses by isolating scriptures to prove their principles instead of reading them in the context of an ancient language of 2000 years ago.

Calvinism is a theology system dependent on 5 guidelines : TULIP .

It focuses by isolating scriptures to prove their principles instead of reading them in the context of an ancient language of 2000 years ago.

So they didn't rewrite anything, they just interpreted scripture differently?

For those who have never studied Calvinism, this essay is a fair intro to Calvin's theology.

So they didn't rewrite anything, they just interpreted scripture differently?

For those who have never studied Calvinism, this essay is a fair intro to Calvin's theology.

This argument that Calvinism invites is one that is not new....just reformulated.

In the Gospel of John the apostles brought Jesus a man born blind and asked Jesus "Who Sinned to cause this man to be born blind?"
(Jesus said neither of the two sides were correct)
This question is the root start of the exact same arguments Calvinism vx Armenianism suggests. Where Calvinism glosses over the question with "Only God knows" it is not a logical answer for what we do know and defies one of Jesus's first lessons in parables: parable of the soils.

I once taught a Bible Doctrine class to 10th graders. I was so confused because nowhere in the text book did it mention Calvinism and Armenianism. I apologized to the kids at the end of the course for not teaching them about it. I even tried to get a guest speaker to come give them a lecture on it but he didn’t seem to be confident on the subject so I just let the course whiz by me without including it. I’ll be mad at myself about that until the day I die. It is such a robust debate. Oh well. There aren’t all that many Calvinists left these days so I guess it is an old debate that has already been settled. Many say the Geneva Bible was Calvinist leaning.

I once taught a Bible Doctrine class to 10th graders. I was so confused because nowhere in the text book did it mention Calvinism and Armenianism. I apologized to the kids at the end of the course for not teaching them about it. I even tried to get a guest speaker to come give them a lecture on it but he didn’t seem to be confident on the subject so I just let the course whiz by me without including it. I’ll be mad at myself about that until the day I die. It is such a robust debate. Oh well. There aren’t all that many Calvinists left these days so I guess it is an old debate that has already been settled. Many say the Geneva Bible was Calvinist leaning.
Well yes it was....all those notes on the scriptures in the margin were very much Calvinist leaning as the community in Geneva which made the bibles were Calvinists.
Where the various communities and nations discussed the leadership of the churches and whether it should be local or central....the question of Calvinism vx Arminianism was somewhat ignored till later.

Now what is sad....is that the Catholic Church actually held reference materials that helped bring context to the scriptures including historical background and geographic and cultural(anthropology) context to make understanding complete.

But

They kept this from the world as they felt power slipping away. And denied the world a fuller understanding of the scriptures.

Many points were deliberately withheld as they were in defiance of RCC doctrines.

So the Geneva Bible didn't rewrite anything, it's just another interpretation battle regarding 'Calvinism' vs Vatican politics vs Anglicanism then, and not anything to do with translation accuracy.

Last edited:
So the Geneva Bible didn't rewrite anything, it's just another interpretation battle regarding 'Calvinism' vs Vatican politics vs Anglicanism then, and not anything to do with translation accuracy.
Translation accuracy when discussing scriptures is a never ending battle....mostly because of two factors.
The Bible was originally written in a manner that was extremely compact that stated a LOT of information in a very few words. (Paper and ink were extremely expensive and books even more so)

Then you have English as a receptor language which has very little of the same grammar or parts of speech or vocabulary.
Idioms and metaphors? Nada!

So unless you are immersed in cultures from 2,000 to 5,000 years ago on the other side of the planet....it's not going to be easy to understand or translate. There aren't many equivalents available.

Then everyone has their own ideas about translating as English is used across a LOT of geographical areas....each with unique ideas about which words carry more weight or less as time marches on. (English is a living language and the original languages of scripture are dead...except for modern Hebrew)

Before the invention of the printing press hand copying was how things were done and copyist mistakes happened. Wealthy elite usually were the owners of bibles in those days. The Geneva Bible was the first of its kind that was affordable for the common man. It was stable spellings and the same for everyone and notes were clearly notes instead of viewed as scripture itself. (Which happened with hand transcription)

The LXX and Latin Vulgate Bibles all varied greatly among themselves....but enough of them together brought to light what was original and what was added as notes in Priest's personal copies they had copied themselves from another priest's Bible.

Some of the manuscripts collected from Syria, Egypt, and Masoretes have added to the accuracy over the years. Including such copies from Dead Sea Scrolls and Siainiticus. Also from other writings that include quoted scriptures.

The Bible we have today is probably as accurate as the autographed copies....they have done their best. But what is truly remarkable....there aren't many differences between a modern Bible and your Geneva Bible. The scriptures have been preserved.

Forum List

Back