15 unhealthy foods that people won't stop eating.

Too much sodium and you will die. You only need 500 mg a day.

Pizza has a lot of sodium in it.

So, the recommended amount is 2,300 mg a day. I am on a low sodium diet and can only do 1400 mg. For me that is about 1 1/2 pieces of pizza and nothing else.

Sodium is in every damn thing. I would encourage any one to track your intake on a single day. It's mind blowing.
There is no added sodium in real food.

If you only ate things with one ingredient on the label you will be healthier than most people.

FOr example

Apples
Strawberries
Blueberries
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Peppers
Kale
Spinach

in order of the list
15 don't eat them
14 don't eat them
13 no but I do drink some pomegranate juice and prune juice
12 No way in hell
11 Nothing fried snack or otherwise
10 Nope cookie or a biscuit
9 WAITING TO HAVE ONE SLICE OF PIZZAHUT PAN PIZZA AS A REWARD WHEN I GET TO MY TARGET WEIGHT 15 pounds to go
8 no peanut butter
7 No
6 No
5 No
4 No
3 No substitute with ground venison cooked on my patio grill
2 No
1. No, but for breakfast
Pea and Hemp protein mix shake
Mix it with 1/2 cup of Yogurt
2 tsp. of Matcha Green tea
1tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
1 sliced banana

So did I pass?
/——-/ Pizza Hut??? Seriously???? I guess I’m spoiled living in NY with the best local pizza in the nation.

There is no added sodium in real food.

If you only ate things with one ingredient on the label you will be healthier than most people.

FOr example

Apples
Strawberries
Blueberries
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Peppers
Kale
Spinach

Some of those "real food" items have sodium in them. Kale has 10.9 mg in one cup. That has to be added into the daily allowance.

Fresh and frozen vegetables and fruits are awesome. Anything that is canned has to be scrutinized.

Some of those "real food" items have sodium in them. Kale has 10.9 mg in one cup. That has to be added into the daily allowance.

Fresh and frozen vegetables and fruits are awesome. Anything that is canned has to be scrutinized.

You'll never eat enough vegetables in a day to go over your sodium limit.

:lol: Maybe a very sedentary post-menopausal woman only needs that much. Active people need more. After a just a couple hours of working on a hot day, there's probably a lot more than 500mg visibly encrusted on my t-shirt after I take it off and let the sweat dry.

That's what makes it a great source of that essential nutrient.

I certainly track mine to make sure I get enough. The muscle cramps caused by low sodium are a bitch. That's why I always keep a tube of salty mixed nuts in my toolbelt when I'm working. To make sure I don't forget to get enough of the 5 main electrolytes. The salt obviously covers sodium and chloride, and the nuts provide calcium, magnesium and phosphate.

The human body will excrete excess sodium via sweat and urine but it cannot produce it. And low sodium can kill you very quickly. I saw a guy die from that on a jobsite once. Look up hyponatremia.

If your doctor has you on a low sodium diet you probably have some serious health problems such as impaired hepatic or renal function. There is no legit medical reason for healthy people to restrict their sodium intake.

Look now.............Chicago style pizza is the be all and end all. I'm a fan. I'm not menopausal or post menapausal. I also don't have a toolbelt.

Heart attack. That's when I had to start paying attention to my sodium intake. I cooked primarily on the weekends because I work 12-16 hours a day. I ate once a day usually during the week, late at night and it was take out OR something like premade BBQ chicken to put on a bun. Sometimes a PBJ is it.

There was no...........make a sandwich on wheat bread with meat from the deli and it's all good. There is sodium in each slice of bread, sodium in the meat, etc. and so on. That adds up. I also can't just pick up boxes of chicken broth for soup, cans of tomato sauce, etc. and so on. I have to look for no salt added, reduced sodium etc. Take away is playing with fire because nothing is low sodium.

If you make your own pizza at home, you can control the sodium, glutins, trans fats and everything else. It's basically flour, olive oil, water and yeast for the dough ( Healthy flours are the best but they can turn out too bready if not done right) Tomato sauce, herbs and spices for the sauce, and then everything else is up to you.

Same with breads, pasta, desserts and most things.

I do not have the time or the space to make my own pizza dough. I have been going to Aldi's and getting flat bread and making pizza with that. I am making it this next Friday with Tofurkey Plant Based original Italian sausage. I'm going to see how close I can get to the real deal.

I do not have the time or the space to make my own pizza dough. I have been going to Aldi's and getting flat bread and making pizza with that. I am making it this next Friday with Tofurkey Plant Based original Italian sausage. I'm going to see how close I can get to the real deal.
If you have a small table you have more than enough space to make pizza dough.

Just say you don't want to make pizza dough. Size of the kitchen is a lame excuse.

It's a time and space issue. I'm not dealing with it. I will be moving and one of the things that I am looking for is a bigger kitchen.

Look now.............Chicago style pizza is the be all and end all. I'm a fan. I'm not menopausal or post menapausal. I also don't have a toolbelt.

Heart attack. That's when I had to start paying attention to my sodium intake. I cooked primarily on the weekends because I work 12-16 hours a day. I ate once a day usually during the week, late at night and it was take out OR something like premade BBQ chicken to put on a bun. Sometimes a PBJ is it.

There was no...........make a sandwich on wheat bread with meat from the deli and it's all good. There is sodium in each slice of bread, sodium in the meat, etc. and so on. That adds up. I also can't just pick up boxes of chicken broth for soup, cans of tomato sauce, etc. and so on. I have to look for no salt added, reduced sodium etc. Take away is playing with fire because nothing is low sodium.
I don't know why they use so much salt in grocery store bread. I just looked it up and it typically has ~430mg/slice. For people like you on a sodium restricted diet, just the bread for one sandwich would take a huge chunk out your daily allowance of sodium. :(

Since I'm semi-retired and have time, I usually bake my own bread. I just love fresh bread that is still warm with a nice thick crunchy crust. It's sooo much more delicious than store bought crap.

I usually use 5 grams of salt (1,940mg of sodium), a little under a teaspoon, for 2 loaves. If you use too much salt you'll kill the yeast and your bread won't rise. But you've gotta use some salt. I forgot the salt once and baked it anyways. Yuck! It was awful. But the seagulls enjoyed it.

I just figured out that if I cut my bread into the same size slices as typical grocery store bread it would work out to a little under 100mg/slice, as compared to 430mg/slice for the grocery store bread. And using more salt than that doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in the flavor to me, so I tend to err well on the side of caution so I don't kill the yeast. It sucks to do all that mixing and kneading, then come back a couple hours later and find that your dough didn't rise.

It seems to me that in grocery store bread they are using as much salt as possible without killing the yeast. And it's really unnecessary from a flavor standpoint IMO.

You might want to look into one of those automatic bread making machines. I've never used one, but I have friends who love them. All you do is put the ingredients in it, push a button, and forget about it. The machine does the rest of the work. Great if you work a lot and don't have a lot of time.

Last edited:
I've never eaten oysters or spam before.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I think the guy has a good point about raw oysters. I wouldn't eat any raw seafood.

That takes us to spam. The nutritionally illiterate retard in the OP disinformational video that Angelo presented to us says that because spam has a long shelf life it contains a number of harmful chemicals. That's a non sequitur. Just because canned food has a long shelf life, it does not necessarily follow that it contains harmful chemicals.

Spam has 6 ingredients: pork shoulder, ham, water, potato starch, and sodium nitrite. A grand total of zero harmful ingredients.

Then he blabbers the usual stupid remarks of the nutritionally illiterate by saying that dietary fat will clog your arteries.

He also claims that sodium nitrite is harmful. There's no scientific evidence back up that old canard. In fact, sodium nitrite is a natural anti-oxidant and anti-hypertensive agent.

Contrary to what is claimed in the video, if one suffers from high blood pressure, spam is actually good for their heart because, being a natural anti-hypertensive, the sodium nitrite in spam will lower their blood pressure, thus putting less strain on their heart.

Personally as a prepper, I have a ton of spam and other canned meats in storage because of their very long shelf life.

I swear this thread is making me hungry for a spam and pineapple pizza.

Last edited:
I don't know why they use so much salt in grocery store bread. I just looked it up and it typically has ~430mg/slice. For people like you on a sodium restricted diet, just the bread for one sandwich would take a huge chunk out your daily allowance of sodium. :(

Since I'm semi-retired and have time, I usually bake my own bread. I just love fresh bread that is still warm with a nice thick crunchy crust. It's sooo much more delicious than store bought crap.

I usually use 5 grams of salt (1,940mg of sodium), a little under a teaspoon, for 2 loaves. If you use too much salt you'll kill the yeast and your bread won't rise. But you've gotta use some salt. I forgot the salt once and baked it anyways. Yuck! It was awful. But the seagulls enjoyed it.

I just figured out that if I cut my bread into the same size slices as typical grocery store bread it would work out to a little under 100mg/slice, as compared to 430mg/slice for the grocery store bread. And using more salt than that doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in the flavor to me, so I tend to err well on the side of caution so I don't kill the yeast. It sucks to do all that mixing and kneading, then come back a couple hours later and find that your dough didn't rise.

It seems to me that in grocery store bread they are using as much salt as possible without killing the yeast. And it's really unnecessary from a flavor standpoint IMO.

You might want to look into one of those automatic bread making machines. I've never used one, but I have friends who love them. All you do is put the ingredients in it, push a button, and forget about it. The machine does the rest of the work. Great if you work a lot and don't have a lot of time.

I might get one of those bread machines. I had one about 20 years ago.

I have been using a reduced sodium bread that Aldi's sometiimes has in stock called Knock Your Sprouts which has 60mg of sodium per slice. Aldi's also carries Sandwich Skinny's which I use for anything that needs a bun or in case they don't have the bread which has 180mg of sodium per roll.

It is crazy to me how much sodium is hidden in so many things. Not deliberately hidden but that one wouldn't ordinarily pay attention to.

I might get one of those bread machines. I had one about 20 years ago.

I have been using a reduced sodium bread that Aldi's sometiimes has in stock called Knock Your Sprouts which has 60mg of sodium per slice. Aldi's also carries Sandwich Skinny's which I use for anything that needs a bun or in case they don't have the bread which has 180mg of sodium per roll.

It is crazy to me how much sodium is hidden in so many things. Not deliberately hidden but that one wouldn't ordinarily pay attention to.
i'm thinking it's probably deliberate.

I was just wondering why my plain white bread is so much more flavorful than grocery store bread even though they use over 4 times the amount of salt as I do. You would think that their's would be more flavorful. I think I know what it is. They probably skimp on the oil and add salt and sugar to try to make up for it.

Just like they did with ice cream. Ice cream never used to have so much salt and sugar. They use less butterfat and try to make up for the flavor loss by adding sugar and salt.

Because it's cheaper and more profitable.

And really that is what's at the crux of the entire bogus fat=evil artery-clogging menace campaign.

Last edited:
If you make your own pizza at home, you can control the sodium, glutins, trans fats and everything else.
FYI, artificial trans fats were outright banned from food in the USA 2 years ago because they are no longer considered safe for human consumption. So that's one less thing you have to worry about.

And frozen pizza was one of the worst culprits.

Although last year I did find some microwave popcorn that contained partially hydrogenated soybean oil, which I recognized as an artificial trans fat. It was probably old stock. Kroger gave me my money back for it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back