130 nations agree to support U.S. proposal for global minimum tax on corporations

Source: CNBC.COM
Link to story: 130 nations agree to support U.S. proposal for global minimum tax on corporations

WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen announced Thursday that a group of 130 nations has agreed to a global minimum tax on corporations, part of a broader agreement to overhaul international tax rules.

If widely enacted, the GMT would effectively end the practice of global corporations seeking out low-tax jurisdictions like Ireland and the British Virgin Islands to move their headquarters to, even though their customers, operations and executives are located elsewhere.

“For decades, the United States has participated in a self-defeating international tax competition, lowering our corporate tax rates only to watch other nations lower theirs in response. The result was a global race to the bottom: Who could lower their corporate rate further and faster? No nation has won this race,” said Yellen in a statement on the accord.

“Today’s agreement by 130 countries representing more than 90 percent of global GDP is a clear sign: the race to the bottom is one step closer to coming to an end,” Yellen said.

The deal also reportedly includes a framework to eliminate digital services taxes, which targeted the biggest American tech companies.

In their place, officials agreed to a new tax plan that would be linked to the places where multinationals are actually doing business, rather than where they are headquartered

Interesting, I’m surprised the GMT proposal is moving this quickly after it was endorsed by the G-7 just a short time ago, looks like that now 90% of the worlds GDP has agreed to it in principle. Frankly I didn’t really believe it would get this far given all the hurdles. The agreement on digital service taxes is also an important plus for the American Tech Sector, surprised the EU is going along with it.

This will be a big foreign policy win for the Biden Administration if it does actually come to fruition, of course there is still a long way to go.
To be enforced by whom?
Dunno, there aren’t any details of the enforcement mechanisms that have been made available yet. If I had to guess, the enforcement mechanisms will center around tariffs.
Does national sovereignty mean anything at all to you?
Where is the problem with “sovereignty” here? This is something that nations are free to agree to or not agree to, not to mention each nation still retains direct authority over its own tax code. It’s no more a violation of sovereignty than an international arms limitation treaty.

Link to story: 130 nations agree to support U.S. proposal for global minimum tax on corporations

WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen announced Thursday that a group of 130 nations has agreed to a global minimum tax on corporations, part of a broader agreement to overhaul international tax rules.

If widely enacted, the GMT would effectively end the practice of global corporations seeking out low-tax jurisdictions like Ireland and the British Virgin Islands to move their headquarters to, even though their customers, operations and executives are located elsewhere.

“For decades, the United States has participated in a self-defeating international tax competition, lowering our corporate tax rates only to watch other nations lower theirs in response. The result was a global race to the bottom: Who could lower their corporate rate further and faster? No nation has won this race,” said Yellen in a statement on the accord.

“Today’s agreement by 130 countries representing more than 90 percent of global GDP is a clear sign: the race to the bottom is one step closer to coming to an end,” Yellen said.

The deal also reportedly includes a framework to eliminate digital services taxes, which targeted the biggest American tech companies.

In their place, officials agreed to a new tax plan that would be linked to the places where multinationals are actually doing business, rather than where they are headquartered

Interesting, I’m surprised the GMT proposal is moving this quickly after it was endorsed by the G-7 just a short time ago, looks like that now 90% of the worlds GDP has agreed to it in principle. Frankly I didn’t really believe it would get this far given all the hurdles. The agreement on digital service taxes is also an important plus for the American Tech Sector, surprised the EU is going along with it.

This will be a big foreign policy win for the Biden Administration if it does actually come to fruition, of course there is still a long way to go.
To be enforced by whom?
Dunno, there aren’t any details of the enforcement mechanisms that have been made available yet. If I had to guess, the enforcement mechanisms will center around tariffs.
Where is the problem with “sovereignty” here? This is something that nations are free to agree to or not agree to, not to mention each nation still retains direct authority over its own tax code. It’s no more a violation of sovereignty than an international arms limitation treaty.

"The concepts of "freedom" and "taxation" are mutually exclusive....Especially so on a global level.

You have no details, no notion for national sovereignty, yet are pimping for the most anti-liberty and sovereignty killing thing imaginable.

I was right....You're a useful idiot.

If the corporate tax is baseline across the globe, corporations will then head to countries with a lower minimum wage.
Corporations already do that and have been doing it for decades, however differential labor costs are not what this proposal is attempting to address.
And no, that won't be the US of A.

Sounds like the democrats will put a dagger in the economic heart of the US once and for all.
How does this proposal hurt the U.S. ? Why wouldn’t we want to keep corporate taxes for domestic business in the U.S. rather than seeing them expatriated overseas? Why wouldn’t we want to protect U.S. business from digital services taxes imposed by foreign governments?
So you want to rape them
Who exactly is “them”? And how do you define “rape”?

Are you suggesting being in favor of inhibiting multinational corporations from “raping” YOU by externalizing their costs is somehow tantamount to “raping” them? Do you want to continue to subsidize the market infrastructure of foreign tax havens?
Only a asshole , non freedom lover would support this, it's plain rape what's next states preventing people from leaving so they can enforce out ragious taxes on them?
LOL, You apparently equate the theft of your income by multinationals gaming international tax rate differentials to “freedom”, I’ll grant you, that’s a pretty unique definition however I suspect it’s not one shared by any rational individual.

Perhaps you’re just one of those individuals that likes being exploited by corporations privatizing profits and socializing costs? Are you a fan of corporate subsidies and government sponsored bailouts too?
WTF ?

So 130 nations got together to make up some tax?

It's pure rape and you know it.
Umm.. no, they aren’t “making up some tax”, they’re working to agree on a MINIMUM rate.

You don’t even appear to understand the basic premise of what you’re arguing against, wow, talk about REACTIONARY.
If anyone who doesn't understand the basic premise of what's being floated here, it's you.

A tax needs a regulatory and enforcement apparatus to administer and enforce it....What you're pimping here is a worldwide communist wet dream.
Uh-Huh, and your solution to the problem of multinationals exploiting differential tax rates to their own advantage and to the disadvantage of individual tax payers and domestic only businesses is what exactly?

Dropping our corporate rates to ZERO? If that’s the case I’m all for it, however it would require completely upending the current system of income taxation in this country, do you see that happening any time in the foreseeable future? I don’t. In the meantime I’ll accept a concept that has the possibility to inhibit multinational corporations from shifting the costs of the market infrastructure that they benefit from onto ME.

Only a asshole , non freedom lover would support this, it's plain rape what's next states preventing people from leaving so they can enforce out ragious taxes on them?

Every country in the world recognizes how important it is to prevent people or corporations from taking assets make in one country and shifting them to another country.
That essentially is theft from the country that loses the capital, and it can be extremely harmful.

If the corporate tax is baseline across the globe, corporations will then head to countries with a lower minimum wage.
Corporations already do that and have been doing it for decades, however differential labor costs are not what this proposal is attempting to address.

Sounds like the democrats will put a dagger in the economic heart of the US once and for all.
How does this proposal hurt the U.S. ? Why wouldn’t we want to keep corporate taxes for domestic business in the U.S. rather than seeing them expatriated overseas? Why wouldn’t we want to protect U.S. business from digital services taxes imposed by foreign governments?
So you want to rape them
Who exactly is “them”? And how do you define “rape”?

Are you suggesting being in favor of inhibiting multinational corporations from “raping” YOU by externalizing their costs is somehow tantamount to “raping” them? Do you want to continue to subsidize the market infrastructure of foreign tax havens?
LOL, You apparently equate the theft of your income by multinationals gaming international tax rate differentials to “freedom”, I’ll grant you, that’s a pretty unique definition however I suspect it’s not one shared by any rational individual.

Perhaps you’re just one of those individuals that likes being exploited by corporations privatizing profits and socializing costs? Are you a fan of corporate subsidies and government sponsored bailouts too?
WTF ?

So 130 nations got together to make up some tax?

It's pure rape and you know it.
Umm.. no, they aren’t “making up some tax”, they’re working to agree on a MINIMUM rate.

You don’t even appear to understand the basic premise of what you’re arguing against, wow, talk about REACTIONARY.
If anyone who doesn't understand the basic premise of what's being floated here, it's you.

A tax needs a regulatory and enforcement apparatus to administer and enforce it....What you're pimping here is a worldwide communist wet dream.
Uh-Huh, and your solution to the problem of multinationals exploiting differential tax rates to their own advantage and to the disadvantage of individual tax payers and domestic only businesses is what exactly?

Dropping our corporate rates to ZERO? If that’s the case I’m all for it, however it would require completely upending the current system of income taxation in this country, do you see that happening any time in the foreseeable future? I don’t. In the meantime I’ll accept a concept that has the possibility to inhibit multinational corporations from shifting the costs of the market infrastructure that they benefit from onto ME.
My solution doesn't involve creating an entirely new taxing authority and attendant unaccountable enforcement apparatus with global reach, comrade Leon.

To be enforced by whom?

"The concepts of "freedom" and "taxation" are mutually exclusive....Especially so on a global level.

You have no details, no notion for national sovereignty, yet are pimping for the most anti-liberty and sovereignty killing thing imaginable.

Not really.
It is taxation that can provide the things you or your corporation need or want, that can greatly increase your profit.
So taxation can improve your freedom, if done correctly.

For example, do we want public roads, schools, police, fire departments, defense, etc.,? Of course we do.
We would have less freedom without them.

To be enforced by whom?

Not really.
It is taxation that can provide the things you or your corporation need or want, that can greatly increase your profit.

For example, do we want public roads, schools, police, fire departments, defense, etc.,? Of course we do.
GubmintSolipotence.jpg

US corporations have already headed to countries with a lower minimum wage. That's how capitalism works!

This is an attempt to put restraints on capitalism.

So far, America is refusing to consider the many possible homegrown restraints that are needed. The world's leading democracies have and thier success is measured by their quality of life standing.

I don't think people realize how this proposal is entirely slanted to the benefit of the US.
Almost every other country in the world has public healthy care, so health care is not an employer cost.
Which means the taxable corporate income of companies in the whole rest of the world is much higher than the US.
Because of US tax laws allowing employers to consider employee benefits like health care to be tax exempt, US corporations have very little taxable income.

US corporations have already headed to countries with a lower minimum wage. That's how capitalism works!

So far, America is refusing to consider the many possible homegrown restraints that are needed. The world's leading democracies have and thier success is measured by their quality of life standing.

Just pointing out why the tax proposal will do nothing to remedy the purported problem, much like how the Left offers gun laws after a mass shooting that, had it been law before the tragedy, would not have prevented the tragedy.

As to how to control corporations, why not just put a gun to their heads?

It's the Left wing way.

I don't think people realize how this proposal is entirely slanted to the benefit of the US.
Almost every other country in the world has public healthy care, so health care is not an employer cost.
Which means the taxable corporate income of companies in the whole rest of the world is much higher than the US.
Because of US tax laws allowing employers to consider employee benefits like health care to be tax exempt, US corporations have very little taxable income.

If you believe it is that way, or will remain so if it really is, you're beyond naive...You're dumber than a bag of hammers.

To be enforced by whom?

…and yet you’re the one ducking all of my questions challenging your argument and attempting to substitute invective for answers, disappointing to say the least.

I guess critical thinking is harder than demagoguing for some. :dunno:

Stay cool oddball.

Businesses will always find another country to locate and the socialist mob will crumble.

This is such a self centered way for Democrats to try to trap companies they are driving out. There is only one way to do that effectively, and that is they need to improve their policies and stop destroying business

Not really.

View attachment 508131

There is no other means of providing reasonable transportation, education, police, fire departments, defense, etc. with out government taxation.

Without government taxation, not only would we not have gone to the Moon, but we would not have any Internet.
There is government waste and abuse, but that is a different matter.

If you believe it is that way, or will remain so if it really is, you're beyond naive...You're dumber than a bag of hammers.

You whiffed on this one. It is clearly geared for Biden to trap companies in the US by denying them better tax deals.

It's like Democrats with blacks. Don't keep em with policies, force them to stay.

How can you possibly not believe this is to trap US companies in the US?

To be enforced by whom?

…and yet you’re the one ducking all of my questions challenging your argument and attempting to substitute invective for answers, disappointing to say the least.

I guess critical thinking is harder than demagoguing for some. :dunno:

Stay cool oddball.
I asked you a question and you admitted that you have no details....If anyone is ducking, it's you.

I have history on my side...OTOH, you have hairy-fairy happy talk, that completely ignores history and the nature of centralized authority such as this fucking monstrosity.

Taxes used to be raised in order to fight wars. Now they pay for our roads, water,health and education. Corporations benefit from all of that and they should pay their way.
America's corporations would yield to force Tommy. It's always going to be up to the American people to change their attitudes to allowing corporations unfettered rights.

The world's leading democracies had addressed the issue long ago and that led to their success.

Not even Biden is there yet, and his democratic party is miles off being able to break free of the corporate hold on the American way of greedy and unfettered capitalism.

Maybe they'll try Trump again? He's a corporatist who must surely have the ideas it takes to uphold corporate control of their country! LOL

Not really.

View attachment 508131

There is no other means of providing reasonable transportation, education, police, fire departments, defense, etc. with out government taxation.

Without government taxation, not only would we not have gone to the Moon, but we would not have any Internet.
You are wrong, bureaucrat breath.

You are reiterating the fallacious gubmint solipitence argument, pretending that it has validity by adding the logical fallacy of begging the question.

Not really.

View attachment 508131

Corporate taxes are double taxes and should be abolished. This is Democrats trying to trap US companies because your policies destroy American business, so you want to trap them here

Restraining capitalism is extremely important and why we create government in the first place.
If government did not restrain capitalism, then whomever could afford the most thugs would dictate to the rest of us, and we would be back in feudal times.

US technology requires investment, and it should be illegal to then move that technology to other countries.

Forum List

Back