100 Years Ago Today Roosevelt Was Shot

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Teddy Roosevelt was a total bad ass. In that sense, he was like our Vladimir Putin, although Teddy was the real deal. He didn't need to stage his "photo ops."

On this day in 1912, a saloonkeeper named John Schrank shot former President Theodore Roosevelt while Roosevelt, as the presidential candidate of the Progressive Party, prepared to give a campaign speech in Milwaukee, Wis.

The force of Schrank’s bullet, aimed directly at Roosevelt's heart, was slowed by a steel eyeglass case and a copy of his campaign speech stuffed in the breast pocket of his heavy coat. After being arrested, Schrank gave as his motive for the shooting his belief that "any man looking for a third term ought to be shot."

Having suffered only a flesh wound from the attack, Roosevelt went on to deliver his scheduled speech with the bullet still lodged in his body.

After speaking a few words, the one-time "Rough Rider" pulled a torn and bloodstained manuscript from his breast pocket and declared, "You see, it takes more than one bullet to kill a bull moose." (The Progressives were popularly known as the "Bull Moose Party,” which got its name after Roosevelt had earlier told reporters, "I'm as fit as a bull moose.”)

Roosevelt shot in Milwaukee on Oct. 14, 1912 - Andrew Glass - POLITICO.com

Unfortunately, his 1912 Presidential bid wound up giving us Woodrow "I created the IRS and the Income Tax" Wilson...

Schrank gave as his motive for the shooting his belief that "any man looking for a third term ought to be shot."

... his belief

as much as someone might agree to the limit - there is little excuse for Schrank.

Personally, I think being shot even to this degree would sort of spoil the whole day.

Forum List

Back