The federal government should have NOTHING to do with student loans

The government has a vested interest in an educated workforce and population in general. If anything, there should be more aid for studies and training for everything from truck driving to astronomy; from AI to X-Ray tech.

Only fools think we need less skilled people in the workforce.
OK, and what does that have to do with the gvt running a loan program?

My thought is that I'm stunned this system has survived for as long as it has given that education isn't an option in this day and age...its a necessity. The days of making your living tending a field or as a blacksmith are long gone. Even the trades have a heavy educational component these days.

Really? Who is making more $ and contributing more to the societal good - a plumber or a woman studies major?

The government has a vested interest in an educated workforce and population in general. If anything, there should be more aid for studies and training for everything from truck driving to astronomy; from AI to X-Ray tech.

Only fools think we need less skilled people in the workforce.
How much education do libs need to be a soda jerk at Starbucks?

Really? Who is making more $ and contributing more to the societal good - a plumber or a woman studies major?
lol...

I don’t know any woman studies majors.

Plumbers make a good living.

They also get training to make that good living.

Hence my statement about having “more educated people” is a good thing.

The goalposts are right where they’ve always been.

So was I.

Having more educated people is better than having fewer educated people.
no its not,,
I said colleg education and you spun it to formal education,,

what are they educated in??

more people educated in gender studies or underwater basket weaving is not a good thing,,

more people trained to weld and grow food is a good thing and not taught in most colleges without paying for the gender studies while they are getting it,,

lol...

I don’t know any woman studies majors.

Plumbers make a good living.

They also get training to make that good living.

Hence my statement about having “more educated people” is a good thing.
training thats not given at most if not all colleges,,

the discussion is about tuition and student loans not funding the schools,,

the boomers had to pay it themselves and the government didnt back that funding,,
No. The Boomers paid a tiny bit. the state and feds funded the rest of the school's budget.
figure3.png

But the facts are clear. After adjusting for inflation, state appropriations per student were 18 percent lower in 2013-14 than they were thirty years earlier, and 29 percent lower than their peak in 1988-89. Over the past decade, state funding per student declined by 14 percent.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to know what I think...

we're going about it all wrong. I mean, if you're watching this system from Mars, you'd think "What in the fuck are they doing? An 18 y/o taking out $100K in loans???" It is ridiculous from any standpoint. My thought is that I'm stunned this system has survived for as long as it has given that education isn't an option in this day and age...its a necessity.
A college education isn't a necessity. Regardless, it isn't government's job to decide what is necessary, much less provide it.

no its not,,
I said colleg education and you spun it to formal education,,

what are they educated in??

more people educated in gender studies or underwater basket weaving is not a good thing,,

more people trained to weld and grow food is a good thing and not taught in most colleges without paying for the gender studies while they are getting it,,
I did no such thing.
You mis-spelled “college”.

Forum List

Back