10 most UNhappiest cities in America pretty much all blue cities

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
and on the other hand, the 10 happiest are mostly in the south.

The Happiest And Unhappiest Cities In America May Surprise You

The working paper "Unhappy Cities," which was published last week by the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research, took an in-depth look at self-reported well-being across U.S. metropolitan areas. Researchers measured life satisfaction (often a big indicator of overall happiness) of each city's residents based on data collected from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey, and ranked the cities after adjusting the results for income, age, race, sex and other research-backed factors that influence happiness levels.

The Big Apple received the lowest adjusted ranking, making the city the unhappiest one in the country.

Researchers noted that long-term residents of some of the low-scoring cities were just as unhappy as newer residents, suggesting that dissatisfaction appears to persist over time. The data also showed that many people were willing to sacrifice more happiness in exchange for higher incomes or lower housing costs, the researchers wrote in the paper.

The Happiest And Unhappiest Cities In America May Surprise You

Who the heck lives in Rochester Minnesota? Never heard of it before.

Hold on ... these are like...19th Century Nordic immigrant families...right?

Not surprised that NY city is at the bottom of the list. Whenever I'm in the city, I notice that folks there are always in a rush, and many have anger issues, especially cab drivers. Add to that the extremely high housing costs, and the cost of living there, and you wind up with an unhappy city.

My mother lives in Rochester MN when she was a little girl...it's filled with very nice Scandahoovians.

Not surprised that NY city is at the bottom of the list. Whenever I'm in the city, I notice that folks there are always in a rush, and many have anger issues, especially cab drivers. Add to that the extremely high housing costs, and the cost of living there, and you wind up with an unhappy city.

Every single person I have ever met from New York are always rude obnoxious people. I suppose if you lived stacked on each other, you'd be angry and a grump too.

Hey Drifter make a poll about how many people want to move to Louisiana. Let's see if it matches the data.

I think that's a great point.
The fact that 'nobody wants to move there" is what keeps out the criminal element, permits the cities to be self sufficient, not have to increase taxes to stratospheric levels, have bulbous social services departments and bloated local government that requires an overstuffed government payroll.

My mother lives in Rochester MN when she was a little girl...it's filled with very nice Scandahoovians.

It behooves me to admit that now I know someone who lived in Rochester MN. She is probably very happy.

Chuckle...

Last edited:
Unhappy because they are crybaby victims. You live in the United States of America. Get over it.

Ironic that the unhappiest are the gayest.

The gayest cities aren't even on that list.
Top fifteen gayest cities
1)D.C.
2.) Pasadena CA
3.)Seattle
4.)Cambridge
5.)Atlanta
6.)St.Louis
7.)Madison
8.)Salt lake
9.)Oakland
10.)Arlington
11.)San Francisco
12.)Rochester
13.)Orlando
14.)Long beach
15.)Pittsburgh.

Gallup's results are a little different. I wonder why?

screen%20shot%202014-03-25%20at%2010.38.52%20am.png

screen%20shot%202014-03-25%20at%2010.42.02%20am.png

Happiest Cities in America

Forum List

Back