Youth have more Mental Health Issues

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
CHICAGO – A new study has found that five times as many high school and college students are dealing with anxiety and other mental health issues as youth of the same age who were studied in the Great Depression era.

The findings, culled from responses to a popular psychological questionnaire used as far back as 1938, confirm what counselors on campuses nationwide have long suspected as more students struggle with the stresses of school and life in general.

"It's another piece of the puzzle — that yes, this does seem to be a problem, that there are more young people who report anxiety and depression," says Jean Twenge, a San Diego State University psychology professor and the study's lead author. "The next question is: What do we do about it?"

Though the study, released Monday, does not provide a definitive correlation, Twenge and mental health professionals speculate that a popular culture increasingly focused on the external — from wealth to looks and status — has contributed to the uptick in mental health issues.

Study: Youth now have more mental health issues - Yahoo! News

I doubt it is more than back then it's just in today's world we are more likely to complain and seek help regarding such issues.

There's much more to it than that. What was the normal mind set and education levels of people in the 30s, 40s and 50s compared to now. Most importantly what were peoples expectations back then as opposed to now. If the study does not take these parameters into account then it is horribly flawed or purposely skewed.

CHICAGO – A new study has found that five times as many high school and college students are dealing with anxiety and other mental health issues as youth of the same age who were studied in the Great Depression era.

The findings, culled from responses to a popular psychological questionnaire used as far back as 1938, confirm what counselors on campuses nationwide have long suspected as more students struggle with the stresses of school and life in general.

"It's another piece of the puzzle — that yes, this does seem to be a problem, that there are more young people who report anxiety and depression," says Jean Twenge, a San Diego State University psychology professor and the study's lead author. "The next question is: What do we do about it?"

Though the study, released Monday, does not provide a definitive correlation, Twenge and mental health professionals speculate that a popular culture increasingly focused on the external — from wealth to looks and status — has contributed to the uptick in mental health issues.

Study: Youth now have more mental health issues - Yahoo! News
I really doubt it.

One of the ways for psych students to get their doctorate is to discover a "new" mental malady.

I agree 100% that too many people rely on drugs to solve their problems. It seems if something is "wrong" then just go to the doctor and he'll prescribe you some nice little pills.

But, having worked with truly mentally disturbed youth, there are some that not only need some meds but behavior modification and counseling too. I did part of my student teaching in mental hospital for teens, I taught high school english there. Part of their 'reward' was being able to come to class. That was looked on as a privilege for these kids. They were there because it was the last place for them to be, after all other options had run out.

Forum List

Back