Your Overtime Has Just Been Cut

Too bad not everyone works in the mall. Those managers or supervisors make more than the clerks. If they don't like being a manager, they can refuse the promotion and stay a clerk. Manager looks better on an application for a new job than sales clerk looks.

Bullshit; the only thing you seem to get correct.

Most small mall shops have one or two employees and both are many times "Asst. Managers", exempt by current law from OT compensation. They number in the thousands if we assume the number of malls with small shops around the country, and the term "sales clerk" is becoming obsolete. It matters not what one puts on their resume, the interview is when the 'boss' discovers the actual duties of an "asst. manager" and if they meet his/her expectation of a manager.

Obama should change overtime to triple pay for overtime. That way it would give businesses incentive to hire more people, instead of putting the extra work load on those that have jobs.

IMHO - There's a very sound logic to what you propose.

I personally would like to tackle unemployment a different way because I generally don't like the government taking this big a move all at once, but your point is well taken.

Shit. I think my neighbor, who works every day, should just pay me to sit at home and keep the unemployment rate low since I'm not competing with him for a job.
Maybe Obama could mandate a $1M Christimas bonus for everyone. Imagine how much that would stimulate the economy!

RW, what do you do for all us tax payers that is worth 200+k a year.

Just try and answer the Question, don't go full bullshit lying Republican politician on us.

Or, putting it amother way,

$1,000 a week for 40 hours is $25 an hour.

$1,000 a week for 60 hours is $16 and change an hour.

Worked hourly your whole life, I see.

You're wrong.

As usual.

Well either way your math is truly fucking stupid. You are either the worlds most lazy employee or the worlds stupidest employee to take a salary job like that.

You're math is literally opposite of the point of salary.

Everyone should make hourly, so people work less, make less, and are less productive.... Yes that will help the economy, because the term "Whatever I get paid by the hour" is unknown the the working world.... I'm just making it allllll up.

Worked hourly your whole life, I see.

You're wrong.

As usual.

Well either way your math is truly fucking stupid. You are either the worlds most lazy employee or the worlds stupidest employee to take a salary job like that.

Everyone should make hourly, so people work less, make less, and are less productive.... Yes that will help the economy, because the term "Whatever I get paid by the hour" is unknown the the working world.... I'm just making it allllll up.

Nothing adds to your productivity like asking workers to work evenings and weekends without pay

No wonder executives make the big money

Many people use overtime pay as a kind of savings or second job. In a rising economy overtime goes up before employment, because its cheaper to work the people you've got than hire new ones.
Well, that just went away. Increase the cost of something, you get less of it. Basic Econ 101, something this president just doesn't understand.
Obama to order strengthened overtime pay rules

Overtime itself is not changing. Only the number of people that are required to receive it when worked more than 40 hours.
I think the more likely scenario here is that the flexible work weeks that have been alluded to by NLT will be going away. A company is NOT going to let you take off on Wednesday after paying for those hours that you worked over.

I am also salaried and work less than 40 per week on most weeks. The work load determines what I can and cannot do. I work for the government though so it is a little different in how much wiggle room I have.

Most salaried people I know work 45-55 a week every week. I assumed that was the norm in the business world.

No. I'm salary + bonus. I average 40 hrs per week. One week 4 tens and a 3 day weekend, the next week 4 eights plus half a day Friday and half a day Saturday. If the workload spikes, I may do an extra ten on my 4 tens week, but I get a comp day. If I cover for another Director at another center, that Director takes one of my days later. Neither of our pay reflects that, and that is a deal between me and that other Director, not through the employer. I have usually worked for small businesses and this has been the norm for me.

You're wrong.

As usual.

Nothing adds to your productivity like asking workers to work evenings and weekends without pay

It's called motivation.
Do you think the people who get promoted are the ones wishing they were paid hourly? I mean in your case the answer is obvious: there is no way anyone would promote a lying shitbag like you so what's the point?

Hate to ask you....but we just laid off 12 employees and we need you to work weekends for the time being to make up the difference

If you don't like it, we can ask one of those 12 employees to take your place

It's called motivation.
Do you think the people who get promoted are the ones wishing they were paid hourly? I mean in your case the answer is obvious: there is no way anyone would promote a lying shitbag like you so what's the point?

Gather round team

We have a promotion coming up and I need the ten of you to work weekends to show who is most motivated. May the best man win

It's called motivation.

Gather round team

We have a promotion coming up and I need the ten of you to work weekends to show who is most motivated. May the best man win
Yup. You were never promoted. That's clear.

Because this is the first time they have been so egregiously misused. The executive order was never supposed to be used to replace the legislature. If it were, we wouldn't elect presidents, we would elect kings.
Really? Let me guess, when Bush did it all was okay since he happened to be on your political go rah rah go team.

Executive Order 13201 - Wikisource, the free online library
Executive Order 13201 of February 17, 2001

Notification of Employee Rights Concerning Payment of Union Dues or Fees

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act, 40 U.S.C. 471 et seq., and in order to ensure the economical and efficient administration and completion of Government contracts, it is hereby ordered that:

Section 1. (a) This order is designed to promote economy and efficiency in Government procurement. When workers are better informed of their rights, including their rights under the Federal labor laws, their productivity is enhanced. The availability of such a workforce from which the United States may draw facilitates the efficient and economical completion of its procurement contracts.
(b) The Secretary of Labor (Secretary) shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of this order. The Secretary shall adopt such rules and regulations and issue such orders as are deemed necessary and appropriate to achieve the purposes of this order.
Sec. 2. (a) Except in contracts exempted in accordance with section 3 of this order, all Government contracting departments and agencies shall, to the extent consistent with law, include the following provisions in every Government contract, other than collective bargaining agreements as defined in 5 U.S.C. 7103(a)(8) and purchases under the "Simplified Acquisition Threshold" as defined in the Office of Federal Procurement Policy Act (41 U.S.C. 403).
"1. During the term of this contract, the contractor agrees to post a notice, of such size and in such form as the Secretary of Labor shall prescribe, in conspicuous places in and about its plants and offices, including all places where notices to employees are customarily posted. The notice shall include the following information (except that the last sentence shall not be included in notices posted in the plants or offices of carriers subject to the Railway Labor Act, as amended (45 U.S.C. 151-188)):
"NOTICE TO EMPLOYEES
Under Federal law, employees cannot be required to join a union or maintain membership in a union in order to retain their jobs. Under certain conditions, the law permits a union and an employer to enter into a union-security agreement requiring employees to pay uniform periodic dues and initiation fees. However, employees who are not union members can object to the use of their payments for certain purposes and can only be required to pay their share of union costs relating to collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment.
"If you do not want to pay that portion of dues or fees used to support activities not related to collective bargaining, contract administration, or grievance adjustment, you are entitled to an appropriate reduction in your payment. If you believe that you have been required to pay dues or fees used in part to support activities not related to collective bargaining, contract administration, or grievance adjustment, you may be entitled to a refund and to an appropriate reduction in future payments.

Oabam, Bush, Clinton.... all same shit. Anyone who believes executive orders like the one from Obama or quoted above from Bush is something groundbreaking is a blind partisan tool.

Just try and answer the Question, don't go full bullshit lying Republican politician on us.

It's fascinating that TheRabbi's reticence on his occupation has never bothered you.

Actually "free" overtime has been cut

Sucks for business doesn't it?

It is not free.
Salaried people are ineligible for overtime payments.
Salaried people as opposed to hourly are paid regardless of the time worked in a given pay period. Hourly workers are not paid for time not worked.
With this violation of the laws of unintended consequences, jobs will be lost. The result will be employers will cut staff and hours.
Business will simply demand more productivity and fewer hours to get the work done.
Nice.

Income Inequality went Up 12 Percent under Clinton, Zero under Bush | Tax Foundation for who?
Uh...4th quarter 2000 ring a bell?
GW's economy was rather lukewarm until the Housing Bubble in 2006.
Clinton's economy even prior to the dot com Bubble was a Bonus economy.
GW's economy was a, "Be happy you have a job.".

Wow, just wow. Where did you take your economic indicators classes? I'll be sure to never recommend them.

I just don't know how to respond to such a fact filled post.
I guess you weren't working on Wall Street back them.

It's fascinating that TheRabbi's reticence on his occupation has never bothered you.

He's asking Nutsucker, shit-for-brains. Not me. I never claimed to make 200/yr or work in the public sector.

Income Inequality went Up 12 Percent under Clinton, Zero under Bush | Tax Foundation for who?
Wow, just wow. Where did you take your economic indicators classes? I'll be sure to never recommend them.

I just don't know how to respond to such a fact filled post.
I guess you weren't working on Wall Street back them.

Everybody was making money and bonuses were flowing.
GW's administration saw tons of White Collar work going overseas.

Forum List

Back