Your Congressman Takes Bribes

I promise to vote for whichever Republican makes a constitutional amendment to establish public financing of elections, a campaign centerpiece. :thup:

Really, if you don't think it's all about the money, regardless of party, you haven't been paying attention. How are we going to balance the budget, if the big boys can keep bribing representitives to vote for their favorite program or government project?

Enjoying the "Battle of the PACS", er..., the Republican primaries? :cool:

What's with Mitt holding back his tax returns? What doesn't he want us to know? If this isn't proof we need public financing of elections, I don't know what is.

Really, if you don't think it's all about the money, regardless of party, you haven't been paying attention. How are we going to balance the budget, if the big boys can keep bribing representitives to vote for their favorite program or government project?

What's with Mitt holding back his tax returns? What doesn't he want us to know? If this isn't proof we need public financing of elections, I don't know what is.

I love how you can pay campaign finance fines with SuperPac money. SWEEEEEEEET! :razz:

I love how you can pay campaign finance fines with SuperPac money. SWEEEEEEEET! :razz:

The Republicans are so enamored of the unfettered free market system, no wonder they totally approve of the buying and selling of our representitives' votes. Apparently since we're not a democracy, they've got no problem with a plutocracy as long as the government follows the Constitution to THEIR letter.

SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING OF ELECTIONS and let the Reps know it's "one man, one vote", NOT "one dollar, one vote".

The Republicans are so enamored of the unfettered free market system, no wonder they totally approve of the buying and selling of our representitives' votes. Apparently since we're not a democracy, they've got no problem with a plutocracy as long as the government follows the Constitution to THEIR letter.

SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING OF ELECTIONS and let the Reps know it's "one man, one vote", NOT "one dollar, one vote".

Looks like Newt's going to buy this one, unless Mitt sells his soul one... last... time! :dev2:

Looks like Newt's going to buy this one, unless Mitt sells his soul one... last... time! :dev2:

This field is so weak, Obama could leave half that billion to Hillary in '16. How does that sit with you? :cool:

This field is so weak, Obama could leave half that billion to Hillary in '16. How does that sit with you? :cool:

We haven't raised taxes. Where are those jobs? :eusa_shifty:

don't they all take bribes?

That's why we need public financing of elections. We're not paying, so they're not listening.

I don't see why Mitt doesn't just buy this thing. He's got the green. It's the American Way!

HEY!!! Did Newt think he bought that audience?!?! What's the going rate for human chattel theses days? With a billion Obama should be able to buy Florida this fall and lay this silly election thing to rest. It's the American Way! :clap2:

That's why we need public financing of elections. We're not paying, so they're not listening.

I don't see why Mitt doesn't just buy this thing. He's got the green. It's the American Way!

HEY!!! Did Newt think he bought that audience?!?! What's the going rate for human chattel theses days? With a billion Obama should be able to buy Florida this fall and lay this silly election thing to rest. It's the American Way! :clap2:

What's wrong with taxing interest money over a million at the same rate as wage earners? :confused:

What's wrong with taxing interest money over a million at the same rate as wage earners? :confused:

Newt's a fighter and well bought. I think he's your man. :D

Newt's a fighter and well bought. I think he's your man. :D

How much is he raking in from aerospace companies?!?! :cool:

If you want to see how corrupt our politicians are read this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Throw-Them-All-Peter-Schweizer/dp/0547573146]Amazon.com: Throw Them All Out (9780547573144): Peter Schweizer: Books[/ame]

Then maybe you'll understand that the only reason politicians can be bought is because they pass laws allowing it; Laws that only apply to them.

We have to cut the head off of the snake people

Amazon.com: Throw Them All Out (9780547573144): Peter Schweizer: Books

Then maybe you'll understand that the only reason politicians can be bought is because they pass laws allowing it; Laws that only apply to them.

Wouldn't not allowing them to solicit campaign funds, do just that?

The graft goes way beyond campaign funds.

Here's one illustration.

If you were a businessman and walked into your senator's office with 100K in cash and handed it to him while mentioning an upcoming vote that you would want consideration on then you would be committing a crime, correct?

Answer: 100% correct and you'd probably go to jail

But if you walk into said senator's office and say, "Senator, my company is going public in a month now I can sell you 20,000 shares at $5 apiece before the IPO. We expect the IPO to open at $100 a share. I'll even let you buy the stock on margin (credit) so you don't have to come up with the 100K. Now about that bill we were discussing earlier......"

Now your senator can take his stock that he didn't pay for and sell it the day of the IPO for 2 million dollars and it's 100% legal but that type of deal is only legal for members of congress and not for you or me. We'd go to jail.

So who is more at fault, the people who write laws that apply only to them that are designed solely for their financial benefit or the businessmen who know about the laws and try to use them in their favor?

Haven't any of you people wondered how a congressman making 160K a year can become a multi-miilionaire after just a few terms?

Well now you know.

Last edited:
Bribery is now legal.

Bribery is now a form of free speech.

We can thank both parties for this.

George Will - "Beware when the political class preens about protecting us from “special interests.” The most powerful, persistent and anti-constitutional interest is the political class."

GEORGE WILL: In disclose act, a free speech clamp » Standard-Times

The Supreme Court has blocked implementation of Arizona’s Clean Elections Act. Under it, candidates who accept taxpayer funding of their campaigns receive extra infusions of tax dollars to match funds raised by competitors who choose to rely on voluntary contributions. The law punishes people who do not take taxpayer funds. Its purpose, which the Supreme Court has said is unconstitutional, is to restrict spending — and the dissemination of speech that spending enables — to equalize candidates’ financial assets. This favors incumbents, who have the myriad advantages of office. And it is patently intended to cripple candidates funded by voluntary contributions: Who wants to give to a candidate when the donation will trigger a nearly dollar-for-dollar gift to the candidate — or candidates — the contributor opposes? Just as the new health care legislation is a step toward elimination, by slow strangulation, of private health insurance and establishment of government as the “single payer,” laws like Arizona’s are steps toward total public financing of campaigns — government monopolizing funding for campaigns that determine the control of government.

Public financing simply gives a different person the advantage, mainly the incumbent over any challengers. As for congressional "insider trading", it should rightly be outlawed; those seeking federal office should be required to deposit any personal funds into a blind trust or at least not be allowed to own individual stocks. That's just common sense.

Amazon.com: Throw Them All Out (9780547573144): Peter Schweizer: Books

Wouldn't not allowing them to solicit campaign funds, do just that?

The graft goes way beyond campaign funds.

Here's one illustration.

If you were a businessman and walked into your senator's office with 100K in cash and handed it to him while mentioning an upcoming vote that you would want consideration on then you would be committing a crime, correct?

Answer: 100% correct and you'd probably go to jail

But if you walk into said senator's office and say, "Senator, my company is going public in a month now I can sell you 20,000 shares at $5 apiece before the IPO. We expect the IPO to open at $100 a share. I'll even let you buy the stock on margin (credit) so you don't have to come up with the 100K. Now about that bill we were discussing earlier......"

Now your senator can take his stock that he didn't pay for and sell it the day of the IPO for 2 million dollars and it's 100% legal but that type of deal is only legal for members of congress and not for you or me. We'd go to jail.

So who is more at fault, the people who write laws that apply only to them that are designed solely for their financial benefit or the businessmen who know about the laws and try to use them in their favor?

Haven't any of you people wondered how a congressman making 160K a year can become a multi-miilionaire after just a few terms?

Well now you know.

Different question than campaign financing, but 'yes' I don't think insider trading should be allowed either. Can that be clause #2 in a new Constitutional amendment?

Forum List

Back