Young Frankenstein (1974)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Neither of us have saw this movie for a long time. For me, at least 20 years. Probably more like 30.
We watched it again last night. It is funny, it is Mel Brooks subdued. In this movie Brooks wasn't so out there... less slapstick.
And the movie is better for it.
It is worth watching again, it may not live up to it's iconic status from your youth - but it is pretty darn good.

One of Mel Brooks best

Peter Boyle made the best Frankenstein

1698495043243.jpeg

Last edited:
Doyle is a face everyone knows, but can't think of a movie he was in besides this one.
According to IMDB - he was in 95 movies.
In "Everyone loves Raymond" it was a bit sad to watch how his health was in steep decline from the start to the finish of that series.

The story from Mel Brookes is that Young Frankenstein was Gene Wilder's project ... Mel Brookes came in to help in return for Gene Wilder bailing out the Blazing Saddles project ... a so-called "Quid Pro Quo" ...

All the old drunken over-the-hill gun-slinger type actors were busy ... so twenty-something baby-faced Gene Wilder stepped in to play the Waco Kid ... yeah ... Gene Wilder was that good, according to Mel Brookes at least ... and in return, Mel Brookes took over producing Gene's project ...

Madeline Kahn's Oscar nomination for her role as the Teutonic Twat came as a complete surprise ... "That's unheard of" -- Mel Brookes ...

I believe we have Mel Brookes to thank for rescuing those props from the junk heap ... just amazing the things left to rot out back ...
Apparently a guy names Stricfaden had the stuff stored in his garage and the cheap H'wood execs gave him only about $2,500. It was Stricfaden who should be credited for rescuing the 1931 vintage props that Brooks probably threw away.

I believe Young Frankenstein is one of the best comedies ever made. Mostly Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks to an extent wrote the hilarious script and Brooks directed the film. Everyone in the film is funny, especially Marty Feldman and Gene Wilder. A classic.

Forum List

Back