you can't make this stuff up. wtf?

bristol palin has been hired to be the poster child for teen abstinence for $262K

really? really.

"Teen mom Bristol Palin, now 20, scored $262,000 in 2009 as Candie’s Foundation ambassador promoting abstinence.

Let me get this straight: Candie’s paid a teen mom a quarter-million dollars to tell other teens not to become teen moms?

According to the Candie’s Web site, Palin’s job — which she still has — is “helping other teens understand the incredible challenges teen parents face, and encouraging them to wait until they are socially and financially independent to start their families.”

What incredible challenges? Like walking the red carpet and mastering the paso doble on “Dancing with the Stars”?"

Teen mom Bristol Palin’s hefty check gives birth to outrage - BostonHerald.com

cut the shit

The Simon says method of teaching doesn't work. You must lead by example. What a waste of money.

Seriously, could you be any more wrong?

What's the difference between paying the government employees' salaries and the salaries of charity employees? The money is still green. However, I would bet good money that the smaller organization uses that money (and personnel) more efficiently. Just a guess.

Obviously the answer is overhead

The government does not pay anyone $262,000 a year....let alone a 20 year old without an education
It's true that even a SES doesn't pull in $262K. But, I do find it quaint that you actually believe that only one government worker would be needed by the government to provide this service.

That's some pretty adorable naivete.

Want to pull down the other salaries that Candies foundation paid and compare them to Government salaries?

I think you are adorable too

I wonder if she negotiated the payment, or if maybe the family has an agent/handler who does all that?

She'd get brownies points if she gave most of that money back to the charity to use on further awareness efforts. That would say a good thing about her character, imo.

As an aside, for those who are bitching about how the candie's foundation spends it's money.... this should explain it... unless you're really dumb.

the candie's foundation

The Candie’s Foundation is a non-profit organization that works to shape the way youth in America think about teen pregnancy and parenthood. We are an operating foundation rather than a grant-making foundation. The foundation develops and runs communication campaigns to raise awareness about, and motivate teens to prevent, teen pregnancy.

Each year, millions of teens are exposed to the foundation's messages, which encourage them to delay pregnancy and expose them to the realities of teen parenthood. Our approach is unique: all of our ads use celebrities that teens can relate to, in a style that speaks to teens on their own terms. We go beyond raising awareness; our goal is to influence teen culture.

A key to the success of our campaigns is sharing our content with organizations around the country that are doing community-level teen pregnancy prevention programs. This way we reach teens simultaneously at the macro level – pop culture around teen pregnancy and parenting – and the micro level – individual skills and behaviors.

That answers 'truthdon'tmatter's' dumbassed question about how those donating to the charity would feel. One would assume that if one is donating to a charity, one would find out how that charity undertakes its work - at least that's what I do before I write a check. The charity states they are a campaigning organization. The commercial is part of that campaign. I see no issue with it... other than idiot lefties who hate the name Palin more than they care about underage pregnancy.

Gee that is great , they film Palin saying stuff and then get to pocket big salaries for it.

Im sure that really helps the kids

Well, since pretty much every corporation uses 'advertising' to promote its products or services, yea... it does work.

Research from around the world suggests that young people particularly are more likely to listen to their peers than their parents, teachers or authority figures... hence, political parties love celebrity endorsements.

It's advertising to raise awareness of the realities of underage, unplanned pregnancy. It's a pity you are so blinded by partisan hatred that you can't see basic facts.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of celebrities or other rich people accepting money to work for charities. That's just me...the charities can pay what they want, and the celebrity can take what they are given.

But I have more respect for those that do it for free and only accept payment to cover expenses.

bristol palin has been hired to be the poster child for teen abstinence for $262K

really? really.

"Teen mom Bristol Palin, now 20, scored $262,000 in 2009 as Candie’s Foundation ambassador promoting abstinence.

Let me get this straight: Candie’s paid a teen mom a quarter-million dollars to tell other teens not to become teen moms?

According to the Candie’s Web site, Palin’s job — which she still has — is “helping other teens understand the incredible challenges teen parents face, and encouraging them to wait until they are socially and financially independent to start their families.”

What incredible challenges? Like walking the red carpet and mastering the paso doble on “Dancing with the Stars”?"

cut the shit

The Simon says method of teaching doesn't work. You must lead by example. What a waste of money.

Watched a talk show a few years ago. A bunch of pregnant teens and their moms, who had had them as teenagers. The moms wanted their kids to abort or give the child up for adoption, the teens all said to their mothers "You did it, why can't I?".

Again, the Simon says method of teaching has NEVER worked. You lead by example.

How do you feel about Christians who tell people how to live but go out and do what they please? How do you feel about those who keep their mouths shut but take care of their families and live according to their beliefs?

Think about it.

Wisdom and Intelligence, there is a difference.

really? really.

cut the shit

Maybe another teen might say "If I get pregnant, then maybe I can get a job that pays $262K to tell other teens not to get pregnant."

Not only that but a luxury condo in Arizona and a gig on Dancing with the Stars

"Pay attention young ladies....you do not want this to happen to you"

Maybe next time they can sign up Octo-Mom

Gee that is great , they film Palin saying stuff and then get to pocket big salaries for it.

Well, since pretty much every corporation uses 'advertising' to promote its products or services, yea... it does work.

Research from around the world suggests that young people particularly are more likely to listen to their peers than their parents, teachers or authority figures... hence, political parties love celebrity endorsements.

It's advertising to raise awareness of the realities of underage, unplanned pregnancy. It's a pity you are so blinded by partisan hatred that you can't see basic facts.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of celebrities or other rich people accepting money to work for charities. That's just me...the charities can pay what they want, and the celebrity can take what they are given.

But I have more respect for those that do it for free and only accept payment to cover expenses.

Werd. :thup:

I wonder if she negotiated the payment, or if maybe the family has an agent/handler who does all that?

She'd get brownies points if she gave most of that money back to the charity to use on further awareness efforts. That would say a good thing about her character, imo.

We have "Bowl a Strike for Cancer" every year. There's a team that wins almost every year and they always give their cash prize back to our charity.

really? really.

cut the shit

Maybe another teen might say "If I get pregnant, then maybe I can get a job that pays $262K to tell other teens not to get pregnant."

If they're famous, they might. Miley Cyrus comes to mind.

From a personal perspective, I agree.... IF they can actually afford it. Since Bristol is not necessarily a celebrity who has made enough money to last her a lifetime and then some, I have no issue with her accepting payment for it.

I think we need to apply some critical thought - and factor in what we don't know - before making a judgement on it.

For instance, truthdon'tmatter has her panties in a wad because the charity should, according to her, be using that money to work directly with young females. But that is not the core purpose of the charity so that's a ridiculous argument.

I have to say, frankly, I can't think of anyone better than Bristol Palin to undertake this particular role... having watched the ad... I think she was a perfect choice. I'll even consider donating to the charity - having read up on their work. I think they do great work.

We have "Bowl a Strike for Cancer" every year. There's a team that wins almost every year and they always give their cash prize back to our charity.

Bully for them. Frankly, Bristol Palin is not 'bowling for cancer', she's trying to earn a living to support her child. Want to hang her for that? I wouldn't. She's trying to do both - by working for a salary - for a charity that she obviously thinks is important. Why the fuck that is so over the intellectual paygrade of some people is, frankly, beyond my intellectual paygrade.

From a personal perspective, I agree.... IF they can actually afford it. Since Bristol is not necessarily a celebrity who has made enough money to last her a lifetime and then some, I have no issue with her accepting payment for it.

Oh, she got means! She even said it in the commercial.

Obviously the answer is overhead

The government does not pay anyone $262,000 a year....let alone a 20 year old without an education
It's true that even a SES doesn't pull in $262K. But, I do find it quaint that you actually believe that only one government worker would be needed by the government to provide this service.

That's some pretty adorable naivete.

Want to pull down the other salaries that Candies foundation paid and compare them to Government salaries?

I think you are adorable too
Sure. I would have no issue taking on that challenge. Based on my experience in federal government 'efficiency', I have a strong suspicion what the results of that challenge would be.

But I do know there are still some who think the federal government is actually efficient. And, it IS cute.

It is better than nothing, and many charities do the same thing. But it does says a lot about her.
I think maybe she shouldn't have taken such a high salary.

what does it say about her?

Not much other than she sees that she can help a charity, and make a living to provide for her child. What an outrageous thing to do.

What it says about some people on this forum is that they are not terribly intelligent, in my opinion. Charities are quite good at finding suitable spokespeople, and pay them what they think that person's value is to their work (and they're quite experienced in working out 'value added'). No one forced the Charity to pay Bristol. Basic facts elude the mentally challenged.
I personally would like the charity that I donate to spend most of the money on the cause they are raising the money for. But I guess that is me. If that makes me mentally challenged, so be it.

But I do love where you are going. It seems your insults lately, have either been about the mentally challenged or people who smoke pot. What did the mentally challenged or marijuana ever do to you? or do you just need to get laid???

Who better than a young woman who's 'been there, done that and got the t-shirt'? If her last name wasn't Palin, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, it must not be easy to find unwed teenage mothers ....with a name people recognise.

:eusa_hand:

But, Whenever we DO find one, we should start a thread dragging them through the mud.

Watched a talk show a few years ago. A bunch of pregnant teens and their moms, who had had them as teenagers. The moms wanted their kids to abort or give the child up for adoption, the teens all said to their mothers "You did it, why can't I?".

Again, the Simon says method of teaching has NEVER worked. You lead by example.

How do you feel about Christians who tell people how to live but go out and do what they please? How do you feel about those who keep their mouths shut but take care of their families and live according to their beliefs?

Think about it.

Wisdom and Intelligence, there is a difference.

Kids and parents. A natural battleground. That's why I said that the Palin ad is a good thing. She's their age.... she's been there, done that and got the t-shirt... and, frankly, if she feels inclined to try to stop some kids making the same mistake.... I say 'good for her'.

I am, frankly, dumbfounded that anyone has an issue with it.

Advertising works... hence corporations use advertising to sell their products or services.

Who better than a young woman who's 'been there, done that and got the t-shirt'? If her last name wasn't Palin, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, it must not be easy to find unwed teenage mothers ....with a name people recognise.

:eusa_hand:

But, Whenever we DO find one, we should start a thread dragging them through the mud.

I would hope that girl doesn't act like Bristol. Just sayin!

It is better than nothing, and many charities do the same thing. But it does says a lot about her.
I think maybe she shouldn't have taken such a high salary.

what does it say about her?

That she is a greedy little spoiled brat. But I thought that about her before I read this article.

Do you have a problem with the actual ad spot or just with Bristol being ok with having a charity pay her 250k to do it?

What is your issue here?

Forum List

Back