you can't make this stuff up. wtf?

So the right wants charity private yet has no problem that most of the money goes to pay salary instead of helping people?

How do you think the poor would ever get helped with this type of plan?

Now if she'd gone to college for 4 years, medical school for 4 years, and family practice residency for three years, she'd be able to make half that...but still have college loans equal to $262K!

As an aside, for those who are bitching about how the candie's foundation spends it's money.... this should explain it... unless you're really dumb.

the candie's foundation

The Candie’s Foundation is a non-profit organization that works to shape the way youth in America think about teen pregnancy and parenthood. We are an operating foundation rather than a grant-making foundation. The foundation develops and runs communication campaigns to raise awareness about, and motivate teens to prevent, teen pregnancy.

Each year, millions of teens are exposed to the foundation's messages, which encourage them to delay pregnancy and expose them to the realities of teen parenthood. Our approach is unique: all of our ads use celebrities that teens can relate to, in a style that speaks to teens on their own terms. We go beyond raising awareness; our goal is to influence teen culture.

A key to the success of our campaigns is sharing our content with organizations around the country that are doing community-level teen pregnancy prevention programs. This way we reach teens simultaneously at the macro level – pop culture around teen pregnancy and parenting – and the micro level – individual skills and behaviors.

That answers 'truthdon'tmatter's' dumbassed question about how those donating to the charity would feel. One would assume that if one is donating to a charity, one would find out how that charity undertakes its work - at least that's what I do before I write a check. The charity states they are a campaigning organization. The commercial is part of that campaign. I see no issue with it... other than idiot lefties who hate the name Palin more than they care about underage pregnancy.

bristol palin has been hired to be the poster child for teen abstinence for $262K

really? really.

"Teen mom Bristol Palin, now 20, scored $262,000 in 2009 as Candie’s Foundation ambassador promoting abstinence.

Let me get this straight: Candie’s paid a teen mom a quarter-million dollars to tell other teens not to become teen moms?

According to the Candie’s Web site, Palin’s job — which she still has — is “helping other teens understand the incredible challenges teen parents face, and encouraging them to wait until they are socially and financially independent to start their families.”

What incredible challenges? Like walking the red carpet and mastering the paso doble on “Dancing with the Stars”?"

Teen mom Bristol Palin’s hefty check gives birth to outrage - BostonHerald.com

cut the shit

A friend of mine has a daughter who got pregnant at 16. She speaks to teens at schools and churches about the mistakes she made. Not only do parents welcome what she has to say, but from what I understand she has had a major impact on the lives of the teens she has spoken to. She's in her mid-20s now.

what did she do with the quarter mill?

I know she gets paid, but I'm not sure how much. She's been speaking for several years. I would assume she uses the money to pay bills and raise her child. I guess I don't understand the outrage. $262,000 is a lot of money, but Bristol has celebrity status and therefore people will likely be more interested in what she has to say. (That's just the way it is.)

And to think....the right wing wants to get rid of Government assistance programs and replace them with private charities

We can see why
What's the difference between paying the government employees' salaries and the salaries of charity employees? The money is still green. However, I would bet good money that the smaller organization uses that money (and personnel) more efficiently. Just a guess.

Obviously the answer is overhead

The government does not pay anyone $262,000 a year....let alone a 20 year old without an education
It's true that even a SES doesn't pull in $262K. But, I do find it quaint that you actually believe that only one government worker would be needed by the government to provide this service.

That's some pretty adorable naivete.

As an aside, for those who are bitching about how the candie's foundation spends it's money.... this should explain it... unless you're really dumb.

the candie's foundation

The Candie’s Foundation is a non-profit organization that works to shape the way youth in America think about teen pregnancy and parenthood. We are an operating foundation rather than a grant-making foundation. The foundation develops and runs communication campaigns to raise awareness about, and motivate teens to prevent, teen pregnancy.

Each year, millions of teens are exposed to the foundation's messages, which encourage them to delay pregnancy and expose them to the realities of teen parenthood. Our approach is unique: all of our ads use celebrities that teens can relate to, in a style that speaks to teens on their own terms. We go beyond raising awareness; our goal is to influence teen culture.

A key to the success of our campaigns is sharing our content with organizations around the country that are doing community-level teen pregnancy prevention programs. This way we reach teens simultaneously at the macro level – pop culture around teen pregnancy and parenting – and the micro level – individual skills and behaviors.

That answers 'truthdon'tmatter's' dumbassed question about how those donating to the charity would feel. One would assume that if one is donating to a charity, one would find out how that charity undertakes its work - at least that's what I do before I write a check. The charity states they are a campaigning organization. The commercial is part of that campaign. I see no issue with it... other than idiot lefties who hate the name Palin more than they care about underage pregnancy.

Oh, oh. Now you did it.

You posted facts.

Her little head is going to explode trying to process them.

the candie's foundation

Gee that is great , they film Palin saying stuff and then get to pocket big salaries for it.

Im sure that really helps the kids

bristol palin has been hired to be the poster child for teen abstinence for $262K

really? really.

"Teen mom Bristol Palin, now 20, scored $262,000 in 2009 as Candie’s Foundation ambassador promoting abstinence.

Let me get this straight: Candie’s paid a teen mom a quarter-million dollars to tell other teens not to become teen moms?

According to the Candie’s Web site, Palin’s job — which she still has — is “helping other teens understand the incredible challenges teen parents face, and encouraging them to wait until they are socially and financially independent to start their families.”

What incredible challenges? Like walking the red carpet and mastering the paso doble on “Dancing with the Stars”?"

cut the shit

Did you see her ad spot? I think you should watch it, its actually pretty good. Not 250k good but its good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHlztPeHf8]YouTube - Candies Foundation Bristol Palin PSA[/ame]

so there's no one else who would be willing to do this for less than $262k?

there's no better use for that money?

otay
I don't know. Is there another with current celeb status who has personal experience in this matter and who could get so much attention?

Just judging by this thread alone, it seems as if the charity chose well. I never even heard of the charity until this, so it raised my awareness of at least its existence.

really? really.

cut the shit

Did you see her ad spot? I think you should watch it, its actually pretty good. Not 250k good but its good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHlztPeHf8]YouTube - Candies Foundation Bristol Palin PSA[/ame]

whether or not the ad is good is irrelevant, imo.

really? really.

cut the shit

The Simon says method of teaching doesn't work. You must lead by example. What a waste of money.

otay
I don't know. Is there another with current celeb status who has personal experience in this matter and who could get so much attention?

Just judging by this thread alone, it seems as if the charity chose well. I never even heard of the charity until this, so it raised my awareness of at least its existence.

do you think it was worth $262K?
actually more than that. i doubt bristol paid for the shoot.

the candie's foundation

Gee that is great , they film Palin saying stuff and then get to pocket big salaries for it.

It seems to me that you know very little about charities. So, here's a little lesson for you. I'll try and keep it simple so you can cope with the information contained herein.

There are various types of charities. Some are 'ground based', meaning that they directly work with their target community.

Others are 'campaigning' charities. These work at a different level, seeking to change behavior of their target community through awareness raising campaigns - such as the candie's foundation.

Others work by 'lobbying'. These work to establish links with Government agencies, political parties, etc who try to influence policy to help their target community.

All serve a useful purpose.... at least they do if you're smart enough to understand and differentiate between the various types of charity.

Idiot.

otay

do you think it was worth $262K?
actually more than that. i doubt bristol paid for the shoot.
I'm not in that business, so I don't know what the going rates are. If I knew what they were, like we can see for labor, etc., I would have a good answer for you.

I can say that I wouldn't mind that compensation for a video shoot, though, if my face were already out there.

really? really.

cut the shit

whether or not the ad is good is irrelevant, imo.

Its completely relevant. Your upset that they paid Bristol Palin to do something because of her personal life situation and status and this is what they paid her to do.

If you watch the ad it kinda makes your being upset about it seem trivial and a little petty in light of how they used her in this ad.

really? really.

cut the shit

The Simon says method of teaching doesn't work. You must lead by example. What a waste of money.

Maybe another teen might say "If I get pregnant, then maybe I can get a job that pays $262K to tell other teens not to get pregnant."

the candie's foundation

Well, since pretty much every corporation uses 'advertising' to promote its products or services, yea... it does work.

Research from around the world suggests that young people particularly are more likely to listen to their peers than their parents, teachers or authority figures... hence, political parties love celebrity endorsements.

It's advertising to raise awareness of the realities of underage, unplanned pregnancy. It's a pity you are so blinded by partisan hatred that you can't see basic facts.

Forum List

Back