WTF, This is what we believe?

The problem is now one wants to be *gasp* offensive. We are moving into this area of hell called political correctness.

Here is my problem. If you think the constitution is offensive, LEAVE.

Agreed. I have a standing offer, I will buy anyone a first class ticket to the nation of their choice if they are unhappy here. The only stipulation is that you have to give up your US citizenship FOREVER. and yes I'm serious.

The problem is now one wants to be *gasp* offensive. We are moving into this area of hell called political correctness.

Here is my problem. If you think the constitution is offensive, LEAVE.

We've been there for quite some time.

Thats the problem

:eusa_hand:whoever put the ''book'' out is responsible for the disclaimer...

i serious doubt ''obama'' did it guys and gals.....sheesh

the ''wilder company'' has it copyrighted in 2008....

maybe YOU should take issue with THEM instead of trying to spin this in to ANOTHER partisan issue?:cuckoo:

Texas is leading the way to get textbooks and educating our youth back on track .... hopefully in a more balanced, less progressive and politically correct way.

Texas textbook controversy: outdated or back on track from politically correct derailment?
May 22, 2:46 PM
Independent Examiner
Melissa Thayer

The Texas State Board of education overhauled its existing social studies and history curriculum yesterday by a majority vote, much to the chagrin of educators and political activists across the country. Texas has an estimated 4.8 million students that will be studying the revised curriculum over the next decade.

One of the changes that has caused a stir ............

To see entire article:
Texas textbook controversy: outdated or back on track from politically correct derailment?

John Dewey, the head of the NEA in the 1930s said this in "My Pedagogic Creed", printed in "The School Journal, January 16, 1897, "By law and punishment, by social agitation and discussion, society can regulate and form itself in a more or less haphazard and chance way. But through education society can formulate its own purposes, can organize its own means and resources, and thus shape itself with definiteness and economy in the direction in which it wishes to move."

Which way does it wish to move and who is choosing this path of movement? What determines the direction and who is controlling this movement? Dewey was contrasting the laws of society versus education in this statement. In other words, whoever is in control of educating is in control of where society is headed.

Author and scholar Diane Ravitch has already said that textbook and test publishers have been censoring the content of educational materials to screen out topics and ideas that might be considered traditional or controversial or offensive. Children have been being taught a filtered form of history instead of the truth.

When a civilization declines it has stopped getting stronger and cleverer, but has started to become sillier and weaker; it has gone into reverse. American youth's entitlement obsession with materialism, pop culture and other shallow things instead of ideas and concepts and self-respect is a sobering example of a civilization in decline.

While we’ve been busy taking care of ourselves, the foundation of our culture of freedom has been crumbling beneath us and we are ignorantly living within a condemned house that creaks wherever we walk. How does a civilization once again become a strong people? A community renews itself by the way it rears its children.

Country music and the speeches of Jefferson Davis could soon be taught in the nation's classrooms

By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

Sunday, 28 March 2010

Country music is an important modern cultural movement; hip-hop isn't. Thomas Jefferson deserves to be erased from a list of "great Americans", but Ronald Reagan doesn't. And we should re-evaluate Senator Joe McCarthy: he was almost certainly a national hero.

If you think that sounds like a quirky rewriting of American history with a right-wing twist, then you're not alone. But if the state of Texas gets its way, it'll be what teachers across the rest of the nation are required to tell their students.

In a move that has sparked controversy from coast to coast, together with a slew of headlines about the "Texas schoolbook massacre", the Lone Star state has just narrowly approved a series of conservative-minded alterations to its social studies curriculum.

The school board's decrees range from the surreal to the faintly sinister. One dictates that the Republican former House speaker Newt Gingrich should be studied. Another says that the speeches of Jefferson Davis, the slave-owning president of the Confederacy, should be taught alongside those of Abraham Lincoln. And the National Rifle Association should be praised for upholding the Constitution.

These and many other changes were approved by the board earlier this month, following three days of rancorous debate in Austin, the state capital. The vote of 15-5 in favour of the move was made entirely along party lines: every Republican on the committee approved them.

To the rest of America, the board's colourful right-wingery ought to be nothing more than a colourful sideshow. But the economics of the education industry mean otherwise: Texas is the biggest market for new teaching materials in the country, with 4.7 million schoolchildren, meaning that its curriculum influences the contents of textbooks nationwide.

Historians this week voiced concerns about the proposed revisions, many of which they have described as inaccurate. They are particularly angry that Jefferson's importance to the nation's founding fathers will in future be played down. That change to the curriculum was supported by evangelical Christians, who dislike Jefferson's support for the separation of church and state.

"The books that are altered to fit the [new] standards become the bestselling books, and therefore within the next two years they'll end up in other classrooms," Fritz Fischer, chairman of the National Council for History Education and a vociferous opponent of the changes, told The Washington Post. "It's not a partisan issue; it's a good history issue."

Elsewhere, the new curriculum allows teachers to treat country and western music as a significant cultural movement. But a move to add hip-hop to the same list was voted down by conservatives.

Students of Cold War history looking at McCarthyism must in future be told that the Verona papers, which documented communications between the Soviet Union and its spies, "confirmed suspicions of Communist infiltration in US government". In fact, historians are divided on whether this is really the case.

'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites American history - Americas, World - The Independent

Quick question.........what bothers you people more, the warning on the material of the Constitution, or the right wing assholes in Texas trying to re-write American history?

The textbook case is FAR worse but the disclaimer is sickening as well. Where are we headed?

both the Texas changes and these warnings should be removed.

It is a private publisher and is their right to include the warning, which i find ridiculous, with their product.

I don't find the changes to the textbooks inaccurate or wrong.

Seriously, you are going to defend that crap! Writing out JEFFERSON!!!! He is most likely the framer that I hold the closest because of his MANY writings on what our government is supposed to be. He is being removed for PURELY POLITICAL HACK REASONS. They don't like the fact he coined the term separation of church and state... SO WHAT, that is what we have and that is what the framers had set up. There are a few changes that I can agree with but the majority are done with a political agenda and that is completely wrong. Attempting to indoctrinate children into your agenda by warping history is plain wrong and I cannot see how you can support that.

It is a private publisher and is their right to include the warning, which i find ridiculous, with their product.

Seriously, you are going to defend that crap! Writing out JEFFERSON!!!! He is most likely the framer that I hold the closest because of his MANY writings on what our government is supposed to be. He is being removed for PURELY POLITICAL HACK REASONS. They don't like the fact he coined the term separation of church and state... SO WHAT, that is what we have and that is what the framers had set up. There are a few changes that I can agree with but the majority are done with a political agenda and that is completely wrong. Attempting to indoctrinate children into your agenda by warping history is plain wrong and I cannot see how you can support that.

One would probably be hard-pressed to find a place or time in history that there wasn't a spin of some sort put on education in order to indoctrinate the impressionable. Doesn't make it right, it's disgusting and we should be well past that corrupt Dark Ages mentality by now. But something tells me it's just the nature of humans in power to want to create little robots in their own image so they can count on staying there.

It doesn't matter who's doing it or what the slant though, whenever anybody pulls this kind of crap it raises a big red flag to me. These people are way too comfortable with their privileges and should be removed from power ASAP.

Okay you disbelieving assholes, here's the article from FOX 5 News in Atlanta........

Texas Textbook Changes Stir Controversy

Updated: Thursday, 11 Mar 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Published : Sunday, 07 Mar 2010, 6:00 PM EST

Edited by Steve Dixon

ATLANTA - The Texas Board of Education plan to change its social studies curriculum -- and changing its textbooks to reflect the new curriculum has some groups up in arms.

According to one news report, some on the board "seem to have concluded that Texas' classrooms have been infected with a liberal bias." [ Read the full report ] Thus, some want to include more conservative ideas in order to balance the standards.

Board member Don McLeroy -- in the same report (see link above) -- is said to be the sponsor of the proposed changes. McLeroy is quoted as saying in a statement that the current "standards are rife with leftist political periods and events: the populists, the progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society. Including material about the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s provides some political balance to the document."

Just what are some of the changes? In documents posted on the Texas Education Agency Website , 2nd graders would no longer have to learn about Henrietta C. King and Florence Nightengale, added is Abigail Adams. In the proposed curriculum changes for U.S. History Since 1877, out goes Susan B. Anthony and Shirley Chisholm and in comes Phyllis Schlafly.

The changes -- if approved -- will affect grades K-8 in all schools in the state. It is not clear if grades 9 -12 will also be impacted. School books in U.S. history, world history, U.S. government, economics, psychology, and sociology would have to be re-written to reflect the new changes.

Many groups -- from humanist to religious to ethnic -- have jumped in with their opinions on the issue. [ View MyFoxAustin story ]

Texas is said to be one of the largest purchasers of textbooks in the nation. Textbook publishers will have to follow Texas guidelines if they wish to continue to sell textbooks in Texas.

What impact the changes -- if adopted -- may have on other states is not known.

A vote on the proposed changes is due in May.

Texas Textbook Changes Stir Controversy | FOX 5 Atlanta | myfoxatlanta.com

So, Lonestar Dipshit?

Fuck You!

It's a verified news source that you will accept (FOX) as well as shows the bullshit changes that they made.

The vote was held last month and passed by the way.

Still no opinion of your own and no explanation as to why these reported changes are bad.

Is this how you debate? Using others opinions? It's no wonder you never win an argument.

maybe YOU should take issue with THEM instead of trying to spin this in to ANOTHER partisan issue?:cuckoo:

I believe that is exactly what I said in the OP. Never mentioned Obama, or any political party.

The Framers of our constitution never set up any separation of church and state. You will not find this term in the Constitution or any other official Government Document of the time. Cousin Jefferson wrote those words in a letter to a church. I suggest you read the first amendment and understand exactly what it does say. That is what should be taught in our schools.

The U.S. Constitution is the Progressives' worst enemy. Obama has said as much... "just a piece of paper".

"Separation of church and state" is progressive revisionism. There is quite a difference between the intentions of the "Establishment Clause" and what the progressives want.

I believe that is exactly what I said in the OP. Never mentioned Obama, or any political party.

Yes, I KNOW that ollie, my comments were not meant for you but to those who always TRY to pull obama or "liburals' in to everything.

This company deserves ridicule for the disclaimer even though as a private company, they can do what they please!

"Separation of church and state" is progressive revisionism. There is quite a difference between the intentions of the "Establishment Clause" and what the progressives want.

Riiiiiiiiight.........and I'm sure that you believe all the Founding Fathers were good Christian men, right?

Riiiiiiiiight.........and I'm sure that you believe all the Founding Fathers were good Christian men, right?

Not all no, but 75% were.

Religion of the Founding Fathers of America

BAHAHAHAHAHA, some of yall should REALLY consider doing some research before you open your big yappers.

I got an email about this today and thought I would easily disprove it. I have friends who send me stuff and ask if it's for real. People this is for real. Here is a disclaimer copied from a book being sold on Amazon:

"2008 Wilder Publications

This book is a product of it's time and does not reflect the same values
as it would if it were written today...

The name of the book?

The Constitution
The Declaration of Independence and
The Articles of Confederation

Now I understand that yes we have changed the way we think about many things, but this is taught in History classes. Anyone who wants to warn my kids about the Constitution of the United States won't see any dollars from my wallet.

Oh and here is the page on Amazon:

Amazon.com: The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, and the Articles of Confederation (9781604592689): Books

Read it for yourself. I still can't believe it.

one word: slavery :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
I got an email about this today and thought I would easily disprove it. I have friends who send me stuff and ask if it's for real. People this is for real. Here is a disclaimer copied from a book being sold on Amazon:

"2008 Wilder Publications

This book is a product of it's time and does not reflect the same values
as it would if it were written today...

The name of the book?

The Constitution
The Declaration of Independence and
The Articles of Confederation

Now I understand that yes we have changed the way we think about many things, but this is taught in History classes. Anyone who wants to warn my kids about the Constitution of the United States won't see any dollars from my wallet.

Oh and here is the page on Amazon:

Amazon.com: The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, and the Articles of Confederation (9781604592689): Books

Read it for yourself. I still can't believe it.

one word: slavery :eusa_whistle:

You do realize the US CON actually makes slavery illegal, correct?

Forum List

Back