WTF, This is what we believe?

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
I got an email about this today and thought I would easily disprove it. I have friends who send me stuff and ask if it's for real. People this is for real. Here is a disclaimer copied from a book being sold on Amazon:

"2008 Wilder Publications

This book is a product of it's time and does not reflect the same values
as it would if it were written today. Parents might wish to discuss with
their children how views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and
interpersonal relations have changed since this book was written before
allowing them to read this classic work."

The name of the book?

The Constitution
The Declaration of Independence and
The Articles of Confederation

Now I understand that yes we have changed the way we think about many things, but this is taught in History classes. Anyone who wants to warn my kids about the Constitution of the United States won't see any dollars from my wallet.

Oh and here is the page on Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604592680/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=077MYD1W49ZTBZA9J4PH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846#reader_1604592680]Amazon.com: The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, and the Articles of Confederation (9781604592689): Books[/ame]

Read it for yourself. I still can't believe it.

I had to read this in grade school, without the warning. I thought it was boring back then, but it didn't send me screaming because it was radical.

I got an email about this today and thought I would easily disprove it. I have friends who send me stuff and ask if it's for real. People this is for real. Here is a disclaimer copied from a book being sold on Amazon:

"2008 Wilder Publications

This book is a product of it's time and does not reflect the same values
as it would if it were written today. Parents might wish to discuss with
their children how views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and
interpersonal relations have changed since this book was written before
allowing them to read this classic work."

The name of the book?

The Constitution
The Declaration of Independence and
The Articles of Confederation

Now I understand that yes we have changed the way we think about many things, but this is taught in History classes. Anyone who wants to warn my kids about the Constitution of the United States won't see any dollars from my wallet.

Oh and here is the page on Amazon:

Amazon.com: The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, and the Articles of Confederation (9781604592689): Books

Read it for yourself. I still can't believe it.

See? what you are missing is the soros blame america first, anti american marxists don't give a shit about the constitution.. it's all about destroying America.. what part of "We are on the verge of fundamentally changing the United States of America" don't you understand.. with all due respect?

This guy has the right idea:

Many FREE applications can be downloaded onto your iphone on the Constitution and Amendments and those applications DO NOT HAVE this obscene editorial note and comments that are on this edited version of the constitution. read a few of the comments here. And don't spend a dime on this when you can get FREE on a phone that is in your pocket and can be ready to be quoted at a moment's notice.

I will be writing to this publisher, and to Amazon; If a cool down enough to compose the letter without going off on them. They never understand it unless everything is PC these days, you have to sound nice, and show them that you understand it isn't their fault and all that horseshit.

Country music and the speeches of Jefferson Davis could soon be taught in the nation's classrooms

By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

Sunday, 28 March 2010

Country music is an important modern cultural movement; hip-hop isn't. Thomas Jefferson deserves to be erased from a list of "great Americans", but Ronald Reagan doesn't. And we should re-evaluate Senator Joe McCarthy: he was almost certainly a national hero.

If you think that sounds like a quirky rewriting of American history with a right-wing twist, then you're not alone. But if the state of Texas gets its way, it'll be what teachers across the rest of the nation are required to tell their students.

In a move that has sparked controversy from coast to coast, together with a slew of headlines about the "Texas schoolbook massacre", the Lone Star state has just narrowly approved a series of conservative-minded alterations to its social studies curriculum.

The school board's decrees range from the surreal to the faintly sinister. One dictates that the Republican former House speaker Newt Gingrich should be studied. Another says that the speeches of Jefferson Davis, the slave-owning president of the Confederacy, should be taught alongside those of Abraham Lincoln. And the National Rifle Association should be praised for upholding the Constitution.

These and many other changes were approved by the board earlier this month, following three days of rancorous debate in Austin, the state capital. The vote of 15-5 in favour of the move was made entirely along party lines: every Republican on the committee approved them.

To the rest of America, the board's colourful right-wingery ought to be nothing more than a colourful sideshow. But the economics of the education industry mean otherwise: Texas is the biggest market for new teaching materials in the country, with 4.7 million schoolchildren, meaning that its curriculum influences the contents of textbooks nationwide.

Historians this week voiced concerns about the proposed revisions, many of which they have described as inaccurate. They are particularly angry that Jefferson's importance to the nation's founding fathers will in future be played down. That change to the curriculum was supported by evangelical Christians, who dislike Jefferson's support for the separation of church and state.

"The books that are altered to fit the [new] standards become the bestselling books, and therefore within the next two years they'll end up in other classrooms," Fritz Fischer, chairman of the National Council for History Education and a vociferous opponent of the changes, told The Washington Post. "It's not a partisan issue; it's a good history issue."

Elsewhere, the new curriculum allows teachers to treat country and western music as a significant cultural movement. But a move to add hip-hop to the same list was voted down by conservatives.

Students of Cold War history looking at McCarthyism must in future be told that the Verona papers, which documented communications between the Soviet Union and its spies, "confirmed suspicions of Communist infiltration in US government". In fact, historians are divided on whether this is really the case.

'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites American history - Americas, World - The Independent

Quick question.........what bothers you people more, the warning on the material of the Constitution, or the right wing assholes in Texas trying to re-write American history?

So where is/are the defender/defenders of this rubbish "disclosure"?

Seriously that disclosure needs its own disclosure

"Warning the views in this disclosure are motivated by a desire to lessen the value, impact, and adherance to the constitution and the individual rights and liberties contained within"

The changes to the Texas schoolbooks is more disturbing than a simple warning on the Constitution.

What are those specific changes?

Those would be the ones that actually have history instead of the progresive white wash in them.

You mean, the white washed history that the conservatives would like.

What makes Reagan so much better than Jefferson? McCarthy was a hero? The NRA is defending the Constitution?

Might wanna read that article I put in post 10 again.

Last edited:
Country music and the speeches of Jefferson Davis could soon be taught in the nation's classrooms

By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

Sunday, 28 March 2010

Country music is an important modern cultural movement; hip-hop isn't. Thomas Jefferson deserves to be erased from a list of "great Americans", but Ronald Reagan doesn't. And we should re-evaluate Senator Joe McCarthy: he was almost certainly a national hero.

If you think that sounds like a quirky rewriting of American history with a right-wing twist, then you're not alone. But if the state of Texas gets its way, it'll be what teachers across the rest of the nation are required to tell their students.

In a move that has sparked controversy from coast to coast, together with a slew of headlines about the "Texas schoolbook massacre", the Lone Star state has just narrowly approved a series of conservative-minded alterations to its social studies curriculum.

The school board's decrees range from the surreal to the faintly sinister. One dictates that the Republican former House speaker Newt Gingrich should be studied. Another says that the speeches of Jefferson Davis, the slave-owning president of the Confederacy, should be taught alongside those of Abraham Lincoln. And the National Rifle Association should be praised for upholding the Constitution.

These and many other changes were approved by the board earlier this month, following three days of rancorous debate in Austin, the state capital. The vote of 15-5 in favour of the move was made entirely along party lines: every Republican on the committee approved them.

To the rest of America, the board's colourful right-wingery ought to be nothing more than a colourful sideshow. But the economics of the education industry mean otherwise: Texas is the biggest market for new teaching materials in the country, with 4.7 million schoolchildren, meaning that its curriculum influences the contents of textbooks nationwide.

Historians this week voiced concerns about the proposed revisions, many of which they have described as inaccurate. They are particularly angry that Jefferson's importance to the nation's founding fathers will in future be played down. That change to the curriculum was supported by evangelical Christians, who dislike Jefferson's support for the separation of church and state.

"The books that are altered to fit the [new] standards become the bestselling books, and therefore within the next two years they'll end up in other classrooms," Fritz Fischer, chairman of the National Council for History Education and a vociferous opponent of the changes, told The Washington Post. "It's not a partisan issue; it's a good history issue."

Elsewhere, the new curriculum allows teachers to treat country and western music as a significant cultural movement. But a move to add hip-hop to the same list was voted down by conservatives.

Students of Cold War history looking at McCarthyism must in future be told that the Verona papers, which documented communications between the Soviet Union and its spies, "confirmed suspicions of Communist infiltration in US government". In fact, historians are divided on whether this is really the case.

'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites American history - Americas, World - The Independent

Quick question.........what bothers you people more, the warning on the material of the Constitution, or the right wing assholes in Texas trying to re-write American history?

You have anything besides an opinion piece to support your argument?

I found this article in the New York Times and it doesn't mention erasing Jefferson from any list, as the opinion piece you provided has.

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
From my experience when disclaimers like this show up it is usually in response to consumer complaints, which is the same reason that you have to push 1 for English. If you don't like it, as has been pointed out there are free copies of all of these documents available: simply don't use this retailer and publisher. Free market principles put the objection there, free market principles can remove it.

If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod I heartily recommend "Manual for the United States of America." It isn't free on the App Store but it contains a great many of the documents related to the foundations of the American Government.

I don't agree with that disclaimer, but my bet is that the objection arose out of things like the 3/5's compromise in the Constitution, the fact the vote wasn't extended to American Indians and women, and such things. I do think that as a parent we should discuss such documents with our children, but not because they are offensive, rather because they are important.

Forum List

Back