WTF is wrong with kids and schools these days?

S

SmarterThanYou

ohio high school sexual assault

By NICK JULIANO, Associated Press Writer Sat Apr 16, 4:47 PM ET

The girl was led by the arm behind a stage curtain in the auditorium. There, witnesses said her lip was bloodied and she was sexually assaulted by a group of boys, an attack videotaped by one student and watched by more than a dozen others who came running as word spread.

Within minutes, the developmentally disabled girl reported the alleged assault to a special education teacher, who said the girl "looked dazed and confused and was crying."

But principals didn't immediately notify police for fear of media attention, in violation of state law. When the girl's father arrived, he was asked not to call 911. He ignored the request and called police.

Now administrators at Mifflin High School face the possibility of being charged along with students in the alleged March 9 assault at the school, which has a history of violence.

"Even if you are following the common sense measure, absolutely, none of this should have happened," Gene Harris, district superintendent, said Friday.

The district said it will fire Principal Regina Crenshaw and has suspended three assistant principals. Police have not said who will face charges, but a city attorney said school officials could be prosecuted along with the alleged assailants.

Witness statements to school investigators paint a picture of a slipshod response to the alleged assault, which came on the heels of other problems. Earlier in the day, administrators had to deal with an assault on a Somali student and a report that a student had a concealed weapon.

Just after noon, the girl said four boys grabbed her by the arm. Students said one assailant punched the girl in the face and she dropped to her knees. One of the boys told her, "If you scream I'll have all my boys punch you."

She was forced to perform oral sex on at least two boys, according to statements from school investigators.

A student who had a camera for a school project videotaped the alleged assault, illuminated by light from a cell phone. Another witness said at least 15 people were in a room that looked into the auditorium because they had heard what was happening.

When some students eventually went to look for an adult, the boys involved in the alleged assault fled.

Police have not said how many boys may be charged, but plan to give their evidence to prosecutors early this coming week. Potential charges could include delinquency counts of rape and pandering obscenity, said spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio.

The boys, who have not been publicly identified, are not expected to return to class this school year, district spokesman Andrew Marcelain said.

Whether school administrators will be charged is unclear. State law requires officials to immediately report cases of abuse to law enforcement or face up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine, said City Attorney Richard C. Pfeiffer Jr.

However, he said officials would be charged only if someone filed a complaint. So far, no complaint has been filed. An attorney for the girl's father would not say if he planned to file one.

The school also is investigating the possibility of earlier assaults against the girl. Lisa Upshaw-Haider, the special education teacher, said boys previously had oral sex with the girl on a bus and tried to pull down her pants at school.

After the alleged assault was reported, the school was locked down while administrators frantically tried to find the videotape and identify suspects. The school's police officer was away for training that day.

"I could only imagine what we might be facing if that tape made it out of the building to later show up on the Internet or who knows where," Assistant Principal Vincent Clarno told investigators.

Clarno said he summoned the principal, who was meeting with two assistant principals and district officials about schedules and curriculum. Crenshaw remained in the meeting, Clarno said.

Crenshaw declined to comment. A message was left at a phone listing for Clarno.

Assistant Principal Rick Watson told investigators he reviewed the tape with other school officials and concluded there had been no coercion.

When the girl's father arrived, Watson said he advised him to call the non-emergency police line, not 911, because "our fear was that a news channel might tape his daughter and cause her further mental trauma."

School district policy warns that calling police might draw media attention.

It also says that although administrators must sometimes make judgment calls when deciding whether to notify authorities, "the committing of assaults do not normally warrant 'judgment calls.'"

The girl's father referred questions to his lawyer, Gary Shroyer, who declined to comment. Phone numbers could not be found for Watson or Upshaw-Haider.

Last week, school administrators discouraged a reporter from trying to interview students at the school.

Shirley Justice, 64, whose granddaughter attends the school, said administrators who handled the situation should be fired.

"You don't know if your kids are safe," she said

I've been following the above for a couple of days. All the administrators that knew of this attack and based upon this, the special ed teacher too:

The school also is investigating the possibility of earlier assaults against the girl. Lisa Upshaw-Haider, the special education teacher, said boys previously had oral sex with the girl on a bus and tried to pull down her pants at school.
The father should sue the school and the individuals involved and the administrators/teacher individually. When they failed to contact the police, they broke the law. I'm sure that Ohio's is similar to IL law: Educators, Doctors, Nurses, and law enforcement personnel are MANDATED reporters of sex offenses, abuse, and neglect.

Sir Evil said:
Kids now adays need a good ass kicking before they can get this far out of control!

Damn straight.

Whats wrong with kids today?

They're assholes. Plain and simple.

A major part of them being assholes is a lack of responsibility on the parents part. (Notice, I didn't say "society", "teachers/schools", etc).

Here's a clue.. Instead of telling your kid "NO!" from the couch, actually get off your ass and take an active part in stopping them from doing whatever they're doing wrong.

MyName said:
Damn straight.

Whats wrong with kids today?

They're assholes. Plain and simple.

I'd be pissed off too if a knew my future included paying aff the debt of a whole generation.

Sir Evil said:
You see more and more of these things happening these days, no longer are they isolated incidents that happen every now and then. I believe one of the biggest problems any more is parenting, too many kids these days lack discipline
and just run wild. I also think a lot of that has to do with such organizations as DYFS who make it tougher to discipline children anymore. I see the difference between todays kids and what they were like in my school days, I think many parents from my day would be in jail for the way they disciplined their children.
However we didn't lack the discipline and knew right from wrong and just how far you can get out of line. Kids now adays need a good ass kicking before they can get this far out of control!

There have always been kids without discipline, either by neglect or idiocy on the part of the parents. Ass kicking in high school, as a form of discipline will not work, it's too late. Personally I don't agree with corporal punishment, though I'll admit that I used it on my youngest, though that's a seperate discussion altogether.

The attack on the girl by the boys may or may not have been the result of inadequate discipline, it certainly shows a breakdown of societal norms on those young criminals part. The larger message though, came from the school, NOT reporting and advising the father NOT to report it. What kind of message was that to the 'good kids' in the school?

Actually alot of what is involved in this incident does involve neglect from teachers and attempts at covering it up. Glenn has been talking about this for the last few days because he has decided that if they dont want media attention that is exactly what they are going to get until they fix the problem rather then trying to transfer teachers elsewhere to cover it up.

Actually alot of what is involved in this incident does involve neglect from teachers and attempts at covering it up. Glenn has been talking about this for the last few days because he has decided that if they dont want media attention that is exactly what they are going to get until they fix the problem rather then trying to transfer teachers elsewhere to cover it up.

That's this particular incident.. The problem with what's inside the kids *head* is more often than not due to poor parenting from birth on.

I was about 11 and in a mall with my bro and dad. I was being an ass to my brother and my dad said, "knock it off or I'll kick your ass." I thought he was bsing, so I kept it up and lo and behold a big ol foot landed on my ass. It didn't really hurt, but I was really embarassed. From then on, I always listened to my dad the FIRST time he said something.

oh, I forgot, NO I AM NOT suffering and not in therapy... I grew up a normal kid, well maybe not completely normal..

Sir Evil said:
That I think is another myth in my opinion. Anytime a person has some sort of mental shortcoming it seems to be the quick fix to blame the upbringing or the parents!

Even if the parents "screwed up" it is useless to focus on them when it comes time to try to correct the problem. Assuming responsiblity is the only way outta this one.

I've been hearing about this on Glenn Beck. He aired the school's phone number and they started complaining about how the "religious right" wouldn't leave them alone (somehow, people who care that a mentally disabled girl was beaten and forced to have oral sex are all religious fanatics). Another point of interest is that their school mascot is the "Punchers."

Now, as far as parenting goes, I submit this issue of pvponline for your approval.

Click here

Shattered said:
That's this particular incident.. The problem with what's inside the kids *head* is more often than not due to poor parenting from birth on.

Im not disagreeing there. just saying that teachers shouldnt be covering it up.

Im not disagreeing there. just saying that teachers shouldnt be covering it up.

Oh, hell no.. If I'd have had anything to say about it, the nimrod who advised against calling the police would have been fired on the spot.

Shattered said:
Oh, hell no.. If I'd have had anything to say about it, the nimrod who advised against calling the police would have been fired on the spot.

Then what do i have to do to give you something to say about it?

Then what do i have to do to give you something to say about it?

*cough*bail*money*cough*

I'd end up in jail, because the manner in which I fired him would leave a lot to be desired by the school board (which I'm not on). :D

But principals didn't immediately notify police for fear of media attention, in violation of state law. When the girl's father arrived, he was asked not to call 911. He ignored the request and called police.
well what a way to save your school face, not report it right away
Now administrators at Mifflin High School face the possibility of being charged along with students in the alleged March 9 assault at the school, which has a history of violence.
as well they should be
"Even if you are following the common sense measure, absolutely, none of this should have happened," Gene Harris, district superintendent, said Friday.
where was the common sense measure? trying to cover up the school fuck up by condemning everything?

Forum List

Back