WTF, congress gets a pension after only serving 5 years

But a military person has to serve 20 years. Something is wrong with this. This is the big thing that needs to be CUT!!:doubt:

Who's gonna change it? Congress? :lol:

It's been that way for eons, but you can blame Obama if it makes you feel better.

It's that asshole Bill Clinton's fault. He signed that horrible government pay raise bill into law that gives congress a raise every year unless they vote it down.

This stupid law grew government the most under the Bush administration. There is no way we will ever get a president or congress to vote down this disaster.

Bill Clinton was President in 1989? Who knew?

Congress Votes Itself a Pay Raise
In 1989, Congress passed an amendment allowing for the automatic raises, unless lawmakers specifically voted to reject it. Which Congress did, until 2000.

Who's gonna change it? Congress? :lol:

It's been that way for eons, but you can blame Obama if it makes you feel better.

It's that asshole Bill Clinton's fault. He signed that horrible government pay raise bill into law that gives congress a raise every year unless they vote it down.

This stupid law grew government the most under the Bush administration. There is no way we will ever get a president or congress to vote down this disaster.

Bill Clinton was President in 1989? Who knew?

Congress Votes Itself a Pay Raise
In 1989, Congress passed an amendment allowing for the automatic raises, unless lawmakers specifically voted to reject it. Which Congress did, until 2000.

I did not know about that one but the Clinton one doubled the presidents pay from $200k to $400k & boosted all the other government employee pay + automatic pay raises.

Notice the steep upward deviation in government pay vs private sector after Clinton made that law just before leaving? See Chart Below:

200908_edwards_blog2.jpg

Congressmen get vested in the pension system after five years. They do not receive a pension until they are 62.

They pay into Social Security like everyone else and receive the same benefits
Their penison is one percent of their salary for every year served. 30 years in Congress will get you 30% of your salary ($51,000 a year) once you reach retirement age

And what are the medical benefits? Because we all know that they ain't gonna be on medicare like the rest of us slobs.

A Congressman who served five years would get a pension of $8700 a year starting at age 62. I can see why so many want to be Congressmen

Awesome! I wish my job allowed me to give myself a raise and gave me a pension for doing nothing for 5 years.

When was the last time Congress gave itself a raise? When was your last raise?

How do I know you have actually accomplished anything in the last 5 years? I bet Congress has accomplished more than you have

Oh yeah they've accomplished a lot like spending us into oblivion.

Let's pat em on the back for that one.

Congressmen get vested in the pension system after five years. They do not receive a pension until they are 62.

Their penison is one percent of their salary for every year served. 30 years in Congress will get you 30% of your salary ($51,000 a year) once you reach retirement age

And what are the medical benefits? Because we all know that they ain't gonna be on medicare like the rest of us slobs.

They get Federal Employee Health Benefits like all federal employees. They also pay into and receive Medicare

They get Federal Employee Health Benefits like all federal employees. They also pay into and receive Medicare
And just how much do they pay for their health insurance compared to everyone else?

They get a sweet deal and you know it.

And just how much do they pay for their health insurance compared to everyone else?

They pay the same as every federal employee. The amount depends on which health plan they select and whether you get family coverage. Generally about 70% is paid for individual coverage and about 50% for family coverage

They pay the same as every federal employee. The amount depends on which health plan they select and whether you get family coverage. Generally about 70% is paid for individual coverage and about 50% for family coverage

No one I know can stay on their company insurance when they retire.

It's about time the fat cat scum sucking pols were treated like everyone else.

How do I know you have actually accomplished anything in the last 5 years? I bet Congress has accomplished more than you have

It's always good to know the small percentage of Americans who fully approve of Congress. :clap2:

Besides their nifty pension plan, they have a better tax dollar paid medical plan than the noblest military person in America.

Last edited:

It's always good to know the small percentage of Americans who fully approve of Congress. :clap2:

Besides their nifty pension plan, they have a better tax dollar paid medical plan than the noblest military person in America.

Not sure they do

Congressional pension is no big deal unless you serve for a long time. I have the government healthcare plan and I think the military plan os better. If anything, it is a lot cheaper

Military retirement is a good deal. Most soldiers I know stay in just to reach the 20 years

Forum List

Back