WS Clergy Nag Walker: Where are the squeals of "separation of church and state" now?

Has anyone actually made the argument that religious people should not be allowed to express their views to politicians regarding social issues?

It's different that these Christians are coming to bat for gay people.

Here's part of the letter from the OP:

" As clergy who believe God loves all people created in the divine image, and that God, alone, will judge our ability to emulate divine love, we urge you to listen to voices of faith as you govern.

Looking ahead to the next four years, we hope you and your administration will continue to support and protect the important gains made for equal rights in our state, including those for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens.

As leaders in the faith community, we are committed to seeing that all families are given the opportunity to thrive and contribute to the welfare of Wisconsin’s children. In that effort we applaud the work of Equality Wisconsin Fund, along with other state organizations, in passing laws creating the state domestic partner registry and domestic partner benefits for state employees. These measures not only protect the rights of LGBT families, but also strengthen our state’s economy, making it an open and welcoming community in which to further one’s education, to work, and to raise children. "
but i thought Christians hated gays?

Some do, some don't. I've never said ALL Christians hate gays. I have even posted which groups support gays and which groups don't. LDS, Family Research Council, Westboro Baptist Church, American Family Association, RCC, Vegas-based Canyon Ridge Christian Church, proudly supporting the people in Uganda who want to enact a law that will kill or imprison LGBT people. These Christians hate gays.

United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church, United Church of Christi, Ecumenical Catholic Church, Reform Jews, Reconstructionist Jews, Unitarian Church, Quakers all support marriage equality and accept gays.

Some Christians here accuse me of hating Christians. I don't. I like some of them, I don't like others. Hate isn't a part of the equation.

You said 'Christians hate gays'. That's the words you used. You did not say 'some'. You said 'Christians', implying all Christians. Also, you've accused me of 'hating' you. I have never said I hate you.... not once.... not ever.... Yet you accuse me of 'hate'.

Seems to me, you need to take a more rational approach to your comments, rather than making unfounded accusations.

Has anyone actually made the argument that religious people should not be allowed to express their views to politicians regarding social issues?

Yep, every time one of the Churches speaks out against abortion, we get screams about 'separation' and how the Churches can't be tax exempt and voice 'political' opinions. So... yes, we have heard that argument.... just that, this time, you agree with the message.

Yep, every time one of the Churches speaks out against abortion, we get screams about 'separation' and how the Churches can't be tax exempt and voice 'political' opinions. So... yes, we have heard that argument.... just that, this time, you agree with the message.
Link? The only time I've seen it discussed as an issue is if a preacher tells his flock who to vote for...not remotely the same thing.

I'll wait for your link. Or dcon's since he thanked you.

but i thought Christians hated gays?

Some do, some don't. I've never said ALL Christians hate gays. I have even posted which groups support gays and which groups don't. LDS, Family Research Council, Westboro Baptist Church, American Family Association, RCC, Vegas-based Canyon Ridge Christian Church, proudly supporting the people in Uganda who want to enact a law that will kill or imprison LGBT people. These Christians hate gays.

United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church, United Church of Christi, Ecumenical Catholic Church, Reform Jews, Reconstructionist Jews, Unitarian Church, Quakers all support marriage equality and accept gays.

Some Christians here accuse me of hating Christians. I don't. I like some of them, I don't like others. Hate isn't a part of the equation.

You said 'Christians hate gays'. That's the words you used. You did not say 'some'. You said 'Christians', implying all Christians. Also, you've accused me of 'hating' you. I have never said I hate you.... not once.... not ever.... Yet you accuse me of 'hate'.

Seems to me, you need to take a more rational approach to your comments, rather than making unfounded accusations.

I have stated that Christians hate gays. I have further qualified that to SOME Christians hate gays. I should qualified from the beginning because so many of you assumed I meant ALL Christians when I simply said Christians. My mistake, for which I have paid for over and over from enraged Christians who wrongly presumed I meant ALL Christians hate gays.

Over and over I have been clear about which Christians I have a hard time and which ones I don't.

I feel alot of hostility toward me from many of you who called yourselves Christians because of my views. It feels like hate to me. I believe you when you say it's not for you.

I did get the feeling and if I am mistaken, I'm sorry. I don't see much friendliness toward me in your posts.

I have stated that Christians hate gays. I have further qualified that to SOME Christians hate gays. I should qualified from the beginning because so many of you assumed I meant ALL Christians when I simply said Christians. My mistake, for which I have paid for over and over from enraged Christians who wrongly presumed I meant ALL Christians hate gays.

Over and over I have been clear about which Christians I have a hard time and which ones I don't.

I feel alot of hostility toward me from many of you who called yourselves Christians because of my views. It feels like hate to me. I believe you when you say it's not for you.

I did get the feeling and if I am mistaken, I'm sorry. I don't see much friendliness toward me in your posts.

Disagreement and disapproval are not hate. We aren't 'friends', that doesn't mean I hate you. It means I don't know you. If I knew you, maybe we'd be friends, maybe we wouldn't. Perhaps you're too sensitive and to quick to judge others.

*For the record, I perfectly understand why you might be overly sensitive and why you might be quick to judge... but that doesn't mean you're right to do so.

Forum List

Back