Write ins.. Idiot Alaskans can't spell

Ozmar

This tree will shoot you.
Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
JUNEAU, Alaska | Alaska election officials began counting more than 92,500 write-in ballots Wednesday in a Senate race that may hinge on voters’ penmanship and their ability — or lack of — to spell “Murkowski” on their write-in ballots.

Murkowsi. Murkowsky. Even, possibly, Muckowski.

All were variations of Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s name noted by ballot counters and immediately challenged by observers for Joe Miller, her GOP rival in the still-unsettled Nov. 2 race.

Murkowski ran as a write-in candidate after losing Alaska’s GOP primary to Miller. In the Nov. 2 election, voters cast several thousand more ballots for write-in candidates than they did for Miller, and it’s those ballots that are now in question.

An early tally of 7,638 ballots on Tuesday showed Murkowski winning 89 percent of the write-in vote without dispute and another 8.9 percent of ballots were counted for her but contested. There was one write-in vote for “Joe Miller.”

The laborious tallying process bore some resemblance to the 2000 Florida presidential re-count, though a decade later, it was misspellings and bad penmanship — not hanging chads — that took center stage in Juneau.

Among the questions from Miller’s team: Is that an “a” or an “o”?

Read more: Alaska begins counting write-in votes - KansasCity.com

No wonder Sarah Palin was elected governor. Apparently Alaskans are a bunch of dunces.:eusa_whistle:

The Miller people are not winning friends this way.

But the law is the law. If Alaska law is that fussy, you have to follow it.

And that is not an easy name to spell. That 81,000 folks spelled a slavic name correctly is actually a pretty good number.

Gov Brown ran a write in campaign in the Oregon Primary back in 76. The law in Oregon required "Edmund G Brown Jr." or the write in was a fail. I forget what proportion of write ins were disallowed that year, but I think Carter got enough delegates by then to make the whole thing moot.

Ozmar, do you have respect for ANY Americans? Is there any negative stereotype about us you don't swallow, hook, line and sinker?

Just askin'......

I'm sorry, were you going to reply to the topic? I just ask this, because you seem to be a prime example of why the some elements of the global community despise Americans, because you just don't seem very bright.

Must you object to every thread I post, on the basis of my posting alone, or do you have any legitimate complaint to make?

My dear, if you don't like my threads, you are more than welcome to avoid them. I am stating this in the most tactful way.

And that is not an easy name to spell. That 81,000 folks spelled a slavic name correctly is actually a pretty good number.

Gov Brown ran a write in campaign in the Oregon Primary back in 76. The law in Oregon required "Edmund G Brown Jr." or the write in was a fail. I forget what proportion of write ins were disallowed that year, but I think Carter got enough delegates by then to make the whole thing moot.

Why would Joe Miller not use every legal means at his disposal to demand only those ballots that spelled her name correctly were counted?

What is intent?

If you don't know who cast the vote, how can you tell what their intent was?

Maybe it's because I'm exposed to a lot of online literature and am familiar with the three syllable name that I forget that it could be hard to spell for people who don't often see it spelled out.

But then I think that the name isn't something insane like Kaczynski, or Szczechinowicz, or Moskiewicz, or Chodcowicz...

Why would Joe Miller not use every legal means at his disposal to demand only those ballots that spelled her name correctly were counted?

What is intent?

If it says Mukowski, I think the intent is pretty clear. Common sense....:eusa_whistle:

What is intent?

If it says Mukowski, I think the intent is pretty clear. Common sense....:eusa_whistle:

No, it's not. And that's not even the way the law is written.

What is intent?

No, it's not. And that's not even the way the law is written.

How is the law written?

Lawsuit over Alaska vote count cites 'Bush v. Gore' - USATODAY.com

Alaska's election law calls for write-in ballots to have the oval filled in and either the candidate's last name or name as it appears on the official declaration of candidacy written in.

Republican Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell, who is responsible for Alaska elections, has said he will accept minor misspellings of Murkowski's name if the "voter intent" is clear

Miller should sue Campbell's ass off if he breaks the law.

I don't know how the law is written, but I think the miller people are making a mistake if they insist that Os are As and don't count.

I don't know what the rules are in OZ, but in the US it is illegal to have any campaign materials inside the polling place, so unless you wrote it down someplace, you would have to just do best guess.

The proportion of Murkowski voters is around 97% of the write ins. I think he should just be civil and let it go.

Alaska's election law calls for write-in ballots to have the oval filled in and either the candidate's last name or name as it appears on the official declaration of candidacy written in.

Republican Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell, who is responsible for Alaska elections, has said he will accept minor misspellings of Murkowski's name if the "voter intent" is clear

Then the title of this thread is very accurate. Idiot Alaskans can't spell.

If Muckawudsufgbdbfgbskeeeyie doesn't win, Alaskans have no one to blame but themselves.

I don't know how the law is written, but I think the miller people are making a mistake if they insist that Os are As and don't count.

I don't know what the rules are in OZ, but in the US it is illegal to have any campaign materials inside the polling place, so unless you wrote it down someplace, you would have to just do best guess.

The proportion of Murkowski voters is around 97% of the write ins. I think he should just be civil and let it go.

The system in Oz would confuse the hell out of you, the fact that it's illegal not to vote once you are of age and registered, right down to the preference system, and the parliamentary Westminster system that allows for multiples parties and coalitions.

There's really no comparison except that the processes are "democratic."

No, voters were handed a list of write in candidates on the way into the polls by pollworkers, with her name spelled correctly on it. Another law Alaska pulled out of thin air at the last minute.

Lisa Murkowski's backers are mainly Democrats. Who cares what they think of Joe Miller?

Follow the Law. It's written that way for a reason. If the people are upset over it. they need to change the law through the legislative process. Not manufacture new ones out of thin area.

What is intent?

because it is the intent of the voter that is all that needs to be ascertained
and by challenging these ballots it makes him look petty and vindictive

and that right there leaves it to "the intent of the voter" and that it doesnt have to be the exact spelling
'

Forum List

Back