UPDATE on Mookaki, Miller and the Alaska Senate elelction

It seems to me a voter who has followed (at the very least) local politics is so impressed by a long term politician or other candidate that they should know enough to be able to spell their name. How long has the Murkowski name been prominent in Alaskan politics?

It's worse than that.

The voters received AT THE TIME THEY VOTED a list of the names of all write-in candidates, so if they had a problem remembering how to spell "Murkowski" all on their own, they could have simply used the official crib sheet.

And STILL some of them voted for folks with names like "Lesa Murkoki."

Guys like Queen like to ask the irrelevant question, "Well, didn't the person who voted for Lesa Murkoki INTEND to vote for Senator Murkowski?" And the answer is, "maybe." But that's not the real question.

The REAL question is "DID they vote for Lisa Murkowski?" And the answer is "no." Not according to the ELECTION LAW -- as written -- in the State of Alaska.

But asking the correct question infuriates libs like Queen. And the fact that Miller is relying on the actual LAW pisses such libs off to no end.

Too bad.

It's just Republicans eating their own.

That's OK with me.

Carry on.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

How long did the A-hole Republicans tie that one up?

Till the 4th of July? You think Miller can beat that one?

The asswhole republican? How about the asswhole democrat? When after the vote is over and ballots still keep coming in real strange but of course you would not agree with that fact. Anyway I have come to the conclusion that if denmocrats are for Murkowski which is a republican there is something majorly wrong with her and should not be trusted. Thanks for the heads up.

If Miller ties up the recount till July, who wins?

The Dems or the Republicans?

Dems like having a nutjob like Miller to ridicule
If Pelosi runs for President, will be laughing all the way.

The asswhole republican? How about the asswhole democrat? When after the vote is over and ballots still keep coming in real strange but of course you would not agree with that fact. Anyway I have come to the conclusion that if denmocrats are for Murkowski which is a republican there is something majorly wrong with her and should not be trusted. Thanks for the heads up.

Pelosi hasn't ever run for President nor is suggesting that she ever will.

But don't let me stop you from making up more wacky, crazy right wing rhetoric based on not even a smidgeon of fact or truth. That's just how you people roll, we get it.

[Tea Party candidate] Miller sued in federal court in a bid to stop the state from using discretion in determining voter intent on write-in ballots cast for his election rival, Sen. Lisa Murkowski...

:lol:

Asswipe how many times did Franken sue until he got the numbers he wanted?

It was Coleman's lawsuit that held up Franken, the winner, from being seated in the Senate.

Remind me, was Franken's 2008 campaign based on the principle of keeping the feds out of state business?

Since Al Franken is pretty much brain-dead and a world class liar, does it really matter what he says? Ever?

As far as Alaska goes, Miller ran a piss-poor campaign, and he lost. Politics is perception. However, if he manages to split this hair and win, we all lose. He immediately becomes just another corrupt SOB who is willing to do or say anything to hold on the office.

Remind me, was Franken's 2008 campaign based on the principle of keeping the feds out of state business?

Since Al Franken is pretty much brain-dead and a world class liar, does it really matter what he says? Ever?

As far as Alaska goes, Miller ran a piss-poor campaign, and he lost. Politics is perception. However, if he manages to split this hair and win, we all lose. He immediately becomes just another corrupt SOB who is willing to do or say anything to hold on the office.

What did Franken lie about?

Nothing. In fact he's been working hard to get our troops the care they need when they get home from war, among other things.
For example he introduced the Service Dogs for Veterans Act with Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.); a diabetes prevention amendment with Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.); a bill to assist the victims of sexual assault with Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah); and the Compassionate Care for Servicewomen Act with Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine).

Oe more time if a democrats gives support to Murkowski which is a republican there is something majorly wrong with her and should not be trusted. Could it be that there is some big vote coming up that it's known that she will vote liberal? Is that why you are in a rush?

I read somewhere Murkowski's vote on Cap~n~tax was for sale in exchange for changes in the drilling moratorium in ANWR and Alaska's outer continental shelf

Oe more time if a democrats gives support to Murkowski which is a republican there is something majorly wrong with her and should not be trusted. Could it be that there is some big vote coming up that it's known that she will vote liberal? Is that why you are in a rush?

I read somewhere Murkowski's vote on Cap~n~tax was for sale in exchange for changes in the drilling moratorium in ANWR and Alaska's outer continental shelf

I heard the same thing.

actually he didn't win, it's too late to fix it. are the merkowskis like the cartwrights? i heard someone say :their own personal kingdom"

too late to "fix" what? even if every vote miller challenged were tossed (which would never happen) he'd still be behind by over 2,000 votes.

I'm not quite sure why the continued whining.

so palin lost her personal vendetta... big deal.

I heard the same thing.

^^^^^^^

one lies, the other swears to it.

how cute. :cuckoo:

Pelosi hasn't ever run for President nor is suggesting that she ever will.

But don't let me stop you from making up more wacky, crazy right wing rhetoric based on not even a smidgeon of fact or truth. That's just how you people roll, we get it.

When President Obama meets with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi next year, he may face a lot more resistance than he’s used to from his longtime ally.
The shift from Speaker to opposition leader will undoubtedly change Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) relationship with the White House, and may force her away from a president she has rarely abandoned in the past two years.
As Obama decides whether and how much to compromise with the new Republican majority in the House, Pelosi is facing pressure from empowered liberals in her caucus to take a harder line with the administration.
Those liberals, led by a group of four lawmakers who tried unsuccessfully to delay caucus leadership elections last week, say House Democrats were led astray by their allegiance to a flawed White House political strategy during the 111th Congress.

“We’re going to have to really push the White House and the Senate,” Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) said. “I think the greatest failing in this Congress was that the House … enabled the White House, and the White House was not always right.

“We’ve got to push them harder from our position,” he added, “to do what Democrats need and what’s expected by Democrats.”

Left?s pressure moves Pelosi toward clashes with Obama - TheHill.com
^
Your 'united' Democratic party, and way things are going I think Pelosi would be the more popular President.

Last edited:
Miller did file in Alaska State Court on Monday!

Miller files vote-count lawsuit in state court - Yahoo! News

Thus, the Federal judge's STAY which prevents the "certification" of the election remains in effect and the STATE Court is now going to have to deal with the very precise legal objections presented by Miller.

If the STATE of ALASKA (in the form of some judge or judges) now even attempts to REWRITE the Alaska Election Law (in order to pretend to count write in votes on the basis of the voter's alleged "intent"), this thing is gonna get VERY tied up!

:clap2:

Right wing extremists always have temper tantrums when they lose. Remember the loser's hissy fit when Franken won? Same old crybaby games.

yep.

and they have no problem wasting the tax payer's money on this shit either. :eusa_whistle:

They tied Franken up until July 4. Lets see how long they deny Alaska a Senator while they decide between one Republican seat and another Republican seat

Right wing extremists always have temper tantrums when they lose. Remember the loser's hissy fit when Franken won? Same old crybaby games.

yep.

and they have no problem wasting the tax payer's money on this shit either. :eusa_whistle:

They tied Franken up until July 4. Lets see how long they deny Alaska a Senator while they decide between one Republican seat and another Republican seat

Party and partisanship over country:evil:

I've said from the start that the Lawyers will decide this one.

If Murkowski had actually gotten onto the ballot, at this point you can be pretty sure she'd have won hands down. You can debate legally whether the misspelled votes should be counted, but anyone with a shred of brain power knows that when Murkowski is up by 10,000 write in ballots with minor misspellings, she was the one the voters wanted.

Now, do slightly inaccurate misspellings count on a write in ballot? That's a legal finer point as to whether voter intent has any place in the count. As such, that's for the lawyers to decide. I suspect that Murkowski will lose when the strictest definition of the law is in place, and if that happens, it happens. It isn't necessary to actually like a law to enforce it.

What's interesting here is seeing the partisans go crazy on this. A decent chunk of the posters in this very thread supported the third party run by Lieberman, and will make passionate arguments to support him, but now feel betrayed by Murkowski. What's the difference? The same goes the other way. Lots of the other folks in this thread were ticked at Joe and now support Lisa. What the What?!?!?!!?

Facts are these: In the end, both Joe and Lisa turned out to know their electorate better than the Party Leaders, and as such both deserved to win. At the end of the day, it isn't about whether an "R" or a "D" wins, its about whether people have a right to choose who they want to represent them.

That's why I'm a fan of Lisa in this situation. She was the people's pick in the general, as such she should represent the people in Washington. The fact that's unlikely to happen here is just a crying shame.

I've said from the start that the Lawyers will decide this one.

If Murkowski had actually gotten onto the ballot, at this point you can be pretty sure she'd have won hands down. You can debate legally whether the misspelled votes should be counted, but anyone with a shred of brain power knows that when Murkowski is up by 10,000 write in ballots with minor misspellings, she was the one the voters wanted.

Now, do slightly inaccurate misspellings count on a write in ballot? That's a legal finer point as to whether voter intent has any place in the count. As such, that's for the lawyers to decide. I suspect that Murkowski will lose when the strictest definition of the law is in place, and if that happens, it happens. It isn't necessary to actually like a law to enforce it.

What's interesting here is seeing the partisans go crazy on this. A decent chunk of the posters in this very thread supported the third party run by Lieberman, and will make passionate arguments to support him, but now feel betrayed by Murkowski. What's the difference? The same goes the other way. Lots of the other folks in this thread were ticked at Joe and now support Lisa. What the What?!?!?!!?

Facts are these: In the end, both Joe and Lisa turned out to know their electorate better than the Party Leaders, and as such both deserved to win. At the end of the day, it isn't about whether an "R" or a "D" wins, its about whether people have a right to choose who they want to represent them.

That's why I'm a fan of Lisa in this situation. She was the people's pick in the general, as such she should represent the people in Washington. The fact that's unlikely to happen here is just a crying shame.

Zzzz. Hypocrisy is the hallmark of modern American liberalism.

When an action is taken by a lib politician, that's fine by the libs. But if the same action is taken by a politician with whom the lib disagrees, then the action becomes insidious, evil and intolerable.

The Election dispute will indeed be litigated by lawyers and decided not by a jury but by some judges. Plural. It is also a safe bet that there will be at least one appeal and maybe multiple rounds of appeals.

In Alaska, to be counted, a write-in ballot is required by clear and unambiguous law to have the name (at least the last name) of the write in candidate spelled correctly. The virtue is that it obviates the need to divine voter "intent." (Remember Florida and bulging eyes squinting hard at hanging and dented and pregnant chads. Yeech.)

Therefore, Miller has the better argument, legally, as to the validity of "counting" the 10+K disputed write-in ballots. A vote for Lesa Murkoki is NOT a vote for Lisa Murkowski.

If he wins that legal argument (which is to say "if the Court doesn't try to redefine the law to incorporate 'intent' into the equation"), then the effect will be to very much narrow the margin of apparent victory for Murkowski. So far, so good.

THEN the legal wrangling switches gears. At that point the dispute becomes "how do votes get properly and legally counted?" Do they all get considered in the SAME way? That is, do they get counted uniformly (as in ALL counted by hand) or in some combination of ways (which is what we've seen so far). The bigger question is whether the recount can further narrow the margin of alleged victory for Murkowski to the point where her alleged lead disappears altogether.

The odds appear to be stacked against Miller. But time will tell.

Eh. I feel the same about Joe as I do about Lisa. Truth be told, I'm pro third party all the way. If Nader wants to run in 2012, I say the more the merry.

Truth be told, I think Miller has the advantage here. Years of grading math assignments and reading colleagues work tells me that human spelling and hand writing are atrocious. If the letter of the law is correct spelling or no vote, then that's the law. Right or wrong doesn't really enter it.

I will be sad to see Lisa lose, again not because I like her (I don't) but because it makes me smile that it's possible a write in third party had a shot at winning, and probably would have won if she'd been on the ballot.

I am enjoying the hypocrisy on the Left and Right though. Watching the logic twists is good fun.

Forum List

Back