Can Alaskans spell???

So heres a thought, your name is Lisa Mack or some such thing and you decide to write yourself in as Lisa M and someone from the Murkowski camp decides it was your intent to vote for her when it clearly was not. The problem with voter intent unless it's very clear thats what the voter wanted, is that when you run into situations like these, they must be seen as votes for the name written on the ballot because you canot simply assume that is what the voter wanted unless you interview each and every voter. What you eventually end up doing is denying the voter of their right to vote by taking it from them. While on a personal level I don't care who wins the race in AK. it does stand to reason that "voter intent" should be carefully applied and not used everytime you see anything remotly associated with the word Lisa or L or M .. or anything but something that resembles her name.

I guess those people who wrote in Mickey Mouse can be counted towards Joe Miller

So heres a thought, your name is Lisa Mack or some such thing and you decide to write yourself in as Lisa M and someone from the Murkowski camp decides it was your intent to vote for her when it clearly was not. The problem with voter intent unless it's very clear thats what the voter wanted, is that when you run into situations like these, they must be seen as votes for the name written on the ballot because you canot simply assume that is what the voter wanted unless you interview each and every voter. What you eventually end up doing is denying the voter of their right to vote by taking it from them. While on a personal level I don't care who wins the race in AK. it does stand to reason that "voter intent" should be carefully applied and not used everytime you see anything remotly associated with the word Lisa or L or M .. or anything but something that resembles her name.

I would not count any of the "Lisa", "Lisa M.", or "Mukiwsky" votes.

But I would count "Murkowsky", 'Merkowski", "Merkowsky", and others like that as intent to vote for her.

There were 83,201 write-in votes, which was 13,439 votes MORE than Miller's total. I find it hard to believe that there were that many misspellings and votes for other write-ins.

But, I will be interested in hearing the outcome. I hope that the state releases all of the results, including the number of votes that were misspelled.

I still want to know who these twits are that can't vote prperly... it isn't that hard.

I remember thinking "This is the guy who is going to decide who will be president ?God help us ."
florida_hanging_chad_recount.jpg

well hell, contesting signatures on a candidate eligibility petition is how Obama started his political career. I think by that standard, correct spelling, NOT DIVINING INTENT should be the rule of law here too. :razz:

Dimpled chad anyone?

I was watching the news this morning and it seems there is a Lisa M on the write in ballot so all the Lisa M's won't count. What I thought was rather telling though, was the attorney's are all ready to proceed. It's a real shame when candidates so eager for power are willing to resort to whatever means needed to attain it, and we as citizens wonder why our Govt. has ran this nation into the ground, this habit of wanting the office more than wanting to serve the people the office represents seems not to be limited to AK.

Forum List

Back