Wow, yet another problem with windmills that I didn't know about.

Who woulda thunk it? Windmills really, really, suck!

Waste management experts estimate they’ll take hundreds of years to biodegrade

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

Landfill begins burying non-recyclable Wind Turbine Blades

Well clearly we should stop using fiberglass for anything we build......

I have nothing against a debate of the pluses and minuses of various forms of electrical generation, but we never have these.

Certainly I would prefer that wind turbines be entirely recyclable. But I would hold them to the same standards as I would hold every other industry.
What percentage of coal fired plants are 'recyclable'? Since basically what wind turbines do is replace coal plants- that is the comparison that would mean something other than you posting you found something else to confirm your bias against wind turbines.

For a energy system to be "green" it has to be less toxic than system it is replacing, and more efficient.

Solar and wind fail on both counts.

And how are wind mills more toxic than coal powered power plants?

Well for one thing, not a single coal burning power plant has been shut down because windmills replaced them.

Not even one.

So, you are basically saying we're going to keep all the pollution from our coal power plants.... AND pollute with windmills.

Since your method of pollution, does not replace any other.... its just another form of additional pollution.

Coal burning power plants have been shutting down because they are losing money.
Windpower is just one of the sources that has contributed to those closures.

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

I've known about these problems for a decade now. It's ridiculous how much of the "pro-Green Energy" people are completely ignorant about how toxic and polluting their 'green-energy' is.

The wind mill blades are made of extremely dangerous fiber glass, which can't be reused, or destroyed, because destroying them would send deadly fiberglass dust into the air. Additionally, the blades wear out constantly. And have to be replaced all the time, just like the generator, and electrical system has be replaced as well.

The same is true, of solar panels. Solar panels have tons of heavy metals in them, and yet can't be recycled, or melted down, or anything. They end up just polluting the ground in some landfill.

It's just amazing how bafflingly ignorant the 'eco-nuts' are. They run around screaming that Republicans want polluted air and water and so on, and yet they themselves are the biggest polluters.
Also, the left insists we use ethanol in our gasoline...despite the fact that the corn grown to make ethanol is responsible for a huge hypoxic area in the Gulf of Mexico.

Large 2019 dead zone in Gulf of Mexico
A dead zone of oxygen-depleted waters forms every summer in the Gulf of Mexico in response to nutrient runoff from the Mississippi River watershed. Scientists have been tracking the summer dead zone for 33 years now, and they have found that this year’s area of low oxygen waters extends for 6,952 square miles (18,006 square km). It is the 8th largest dead zone ever recorded.
Not to mention, ethanol production of fuel is a net energy loss.
Professor Ted Patzek, a geoengineering professor at UC Berkley, initially calculated that producing ethanol results in a 65% energy loss. When he looked at it in more detail, including things like fuel used to produce fertilizer, waste water costs, energy used in transportation and other energies involved in ethanol production he concluded that energy consumption may be as high as six times that produced.
But, hey...the environment doesn't matter. All that matters is liberals feel good about themselves.

Republicans and Democrats criticize EPA decision on ethanol waivers

I have almost always opposed ethanol production. It really doesn't make any sense.

But the Midwest loves it- both Democrats and Republicans.

Nevertheless.... it's YOUR side... the government-regulation side... that pushed to make ethanol a mandatory requirement. It was not a free-market capitalist, that proposed government enforcement of ethanol usage.

And, regardless of what you think, it was pushed on the basis of it being eco-friendly. That's a left-wing argument, not a right-wing argument.

I have nothing against a debate of the pluses and minuses of various forms of electrical generation, but we never have these.

Certainly I would prefer that wind turbines be entirely recyclable. But I would hold them to the same standards as I would hold every other industry.
What percentage of coal fired plants are 'recyclable'? Since basically what wind turbines do is replace coal plants- that is the comparison that would mean something other than you posting you found something else to confirm your bias against wind turbines.

For a energy system to be "green" it has to be less toxic than system it is replacing, and more efficient.

Well for one thing, not a single coal burning power plant has been shut down because windmills replaced them.

Not even one.

So, you are basically saying we're going to keep all the pollution from our coal power plants.... AND pollute with windmills.

Since your method of pollution, does not replace any other.... its just another form of additional pollution.

Coal burning power plants have been shutting down because they are losing money.

Wind farms have had no impact on the coal market. The massive production of natural gas is what is hurting the coal industry.

Take a look at the toxic chemicals used to make fiberglass someday.

In no way, shape, or form are they more toxic than coal. Only when you’re in the alternate trump reality does the argument that they do ever get made.

Says the functional idiot who has never been near a fiberglass production facility

We've had this discussion before because I've posted this Link before.
Casper wants to generate income with it's Landfills, and much prefer non-Toxic Fiber Glass to Petroleum contaminated waste.

Wind turbine blades will generate about $675,000 at Casper landfill

Wind turbine blades will generate about $675,000 at Casper landfill

"....The disposal of the wind turbine equipment is $59 per ton, the landfill’s special waste disposal fee approved by the City Council.

90% of wind turbine material is recyclable, according to Langston. Only the blades and the motor housing are non-recyclable because they are made from fiberglass.

Instream Environmental did not respond immediately to Oil City’s request for comment on Thursday, Aug. 1, so it is unclear the exact lifespan of these specific blades.

But a spokesperson for the United States Department of Energy said the lifespan of most blades is 20-25 years.

They also pointed to this National Renewable Energy Laboratory article which states that new thermoplastic technology could soon allow even the blades to be recycled and produced at lower cost.

The revenue from the wind blade disposal project will help keep rates at the landfill low.

“Casper Regional Landfill rates increase approximately 2% every two (2) years and we have very low rates compared to other landfills in the state,” a fact sheet provided by Langston says. “Our special waste projects generate on average $800,000 in revenue per year to make it possible to keep our rates low.”

The blades are being stored in unlined construction and demolition cell space, since fiberglass is “one of the most inert (Non-toxic)” materials disposed of at the landfill.

“Petroleum Contaminated Soil & Asbestos Containing Materials are the most common special wastes we receive for disposal,” the fact sheet adds.

`​

Yes, windmills are very expensive.
Big waste of money.

they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!
this is just one of many links I found,,,

Solar Panels Produce Far More Energy Than They Consume | EarthTechling

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

Why would expensive panels that take decades to pay for themselves....if you're lucky, be on every house in Phoenix?

they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

Why would expensive panels that take decades to pay for themselves....if you're lucky, be on every house in Phoenix?

you obviously are ignorant on the subject,,,

get back to me when you know something,,,

They will build a massive windmill farm at Obama's new beach front home.

What percentage of coal fired plants are 'recyclable'? Since basically what wind turbines do is replace coal plants-

Wind turbines do NOT replace coal plants.

Not even one.

No. That is factually incorrect. Coal burning power plants have been being replaced by natural gas. Not wind mills. There is not a single example anywhere.... ANYWHERE... that wind mill plants have replaced fossil fuel power plants, or nuclear.

And this isn't surprising either when you look at the power generation numbers.

The SMALLEST coal power plant in the entire state of Ohio, is 650 MW of power.
The largest wind farm in the entire state...... 4.5 MW.

You really want to try and argue that a tiny 4.5 MW wind farm, replaced even the smallest of coal power plants? Not even close. They might convert that coal power plant to nat.gas, or build a nuclear power plant, but no, the wind farm did nothing. It replaces nothing.

All of the wind farms across the entire state combined, barely produce 1% of the total power generated in the state. Now that should give you pause.... because if you are a thinking individual, you will notice that the total installed base of wind power capacity is supposedly around 500 MW of installed power... yet still is barely 1% of all power generated. How is that possible?

Answer... .because it's wind power. When the wind stops blowing, the power dies. So the number is completely irrelevant. And by the way, that is another reason that wind power can never replace conventional power.

Even if you combined all the wind farms across the state into a single massive power plant (which you can't. A wind farm in southern ohio, can't transmit power all the way to northern Ohio. You would have to produce enough power in THAT location, to replace a power plant in THAT location).

But let's live in a fantasy world where you could. You combine all the various wind farms into a single 500 MW farm. Great! Now you can shut down that coal burning power plant! Right???

No. You can't. If the power grid requires 500 MW of power, and is relying on that coal power plant.... and you put up a 500 MW wind farm... you still can't shut off that coal power plant. Because if the wind dies.... and the wind farm isn't producing enough power, you can damage the entire power grid. Which then means you have to shut off power to the entire grid until the wind farm starts producing again. That could be days.... even weeks.

You want to shut down our entire society for a day to a week, every time the wind dies down? Not happening.

So I'll say this again..... Wind power does not replace ANYTHING EVER. It never does. When Germany shut down their nuclear power plants, the first thing they did was bring online a bunch of coal power plants. Go read about it. Wind does not replaces anything. If you shut down one source of power, you don't turn on a wind mill. You turn on another conventional, reliable, consistent source of power.

Germany still constructing new coal power stations | Airclim

In fact, even in the mid-term, they contracts with France to get power. Why didn't they just put up more windmills, instead of nuclear power from France, and coal power plants being built in Germany?

Sorry, but the facts are what they are.

Thanks for the info!

So I actually know someone who has family in Arizona. Their experience was they installed a large number on the roof, and some rodents of some sort, or birds, damaged the panel, resulting in a short that burned out the entire array. They lost all the money, and determined to never do it again. You have to have the array work for decades, for it to pay off. If something damages it before then, or if you wire something wrong, or it breaks for any reason... you are just screwed.

The companies that sell these, know to be very careful about what the warranty covers.

I've known about these problems for a decade now. It's ridiculous how much of the "pro-Green Energy" people are completely ignorant about how toxic and polluting their 'green-energy' is.

The wind mill blades are made of extremely dangerous fiber glass, which can't be reused, or destroyed, because destroying them would send deadly fiberglass dust into the air. Additionally, the blades wear out constantly. And have to be replaced all the time, just like the generator, and electrical system has be replaced as well.

The same is true, of solar panels. Solar panels have tons of heavy metals in them, and yet can't be recycled, or melted down, or anything. They end up just polluting the ground in some landfill.

It's just amazing how bafflingly ignorant the 'eco-nuts' are. They run around screaming that Republicans want polluted air and water and so on, and yet they themselves are the biggest polluters.
Also, the left insists we use ethanol in our gasoline...despite the fact that the corn grown to make ethanol is responsible for a huge hypoxic area in the Gulf of Mexico.

A dead zone of oxygen-depleted waters forms every summer in the Gulf of Mexico in response to nutrient runoff from the Mississippi River watershed. Scientists have been tracking the summer dead zone for 33 years now, and they have found that this year’s area of low oxygen waters extends for 6,952 square miles (18,006 square km). It is the 8th largest dead zone ever recorded.
Professor Ted Patzek, a geoengineering professor at UC Berkley, initially calculated that producing ethanol results in a 65% energy loss. When he looked at it in more detail, including things like fuel used to produce fertilizer, waste water costs, energy used in transportation and other energies involved in ethanol production he concluded that energy consumption may be as high as six times that produced.
But, hey...the environment doesn't matter. All that matters is liberals feel good about themselves.

What really tickled the shit out of me about ethanol happened about ten years ago or so. Brazil went to all ehanol fuel and the left couldn't praise and congratulate them enogh for doing so. The fly in that ointment was that they were growing sugar cane to produce the ethanol. And of couse they were cutting and burning the amazon rain forest with slash and burn in order to grow all the sugar cane needed. Then the bottom fell out of the global sugar market, the farmers quit growing sugar cane and they were back to square one only their automotive fleet didn't burn regular petroleum based gasoline worth a shit.
The moral of that story is that if you have some worthless bullshit liberal arts degree, when the conversation turns to anything involving science, engineering or math, sit down and stifle yourself because you've got NOTHING of worth to add.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info!

So I actually know someone who has family in Arizona. Their experience was they installed a large number on the roof, and some rodents of some sort, or birds, damaged the panel, resulting in a short that burned out the entire array. They lost all the money, and determined to never do it again. You have to have the array work for decades, for it to pay off. If something damages it before then, or if you wire something wrong, or it breaks for any reason... you are just screwed.

The companies that sell these, know to be very careful about what the warranty covers.

decades my ass,,,

and all those problems and warranty issue apply to any product

What really tickled the shit out of me about ethanol happened about ten years ago or so. Brazil went to all ehanol fuel and the left couldn't praise and congratulate them enogh for doing so. The fly in that ointment was that they were growing sugar cane to produce the ethanol. And of couse they were cutting and burning the amazon rain forest with slash and burn in order to grow all the sugar cane needed. Then the bottom fell out of the global sigar market, the farmers quit growing sugar cane and they were back to square one only their automotive fleet didn't burn regular petroleum based gasoline worth a shit.
The moral of that story is that if you have some worthless bullshit liberal arts degree, when the conversation turns to anything involving science, engineering or math, sit down and stifle yourself because you've got NOTHING of worth to add.
Actually it is Republican farmers who insist on ethanol and Republican senators from those states in the Midwest. Like everything else you know, it's wrong. We have 400 wind turbines within 20 miles and none of the problems you go on about happen. The GOP is the Big oil swamp duh.

What really tickled the shit out of me about ethanol happened about ten years ago or so. Brazil went to all ehanol fuel and the left couldn't praise and congratulate them enogh for doing so. The fly in that ointment was that they were growing sugar cane to produce the ethanol. And of couse they were cutting and burning the amazon rain forest with slash and burn in order to grow all the sugar cane needed. Then the bottom fell out of the global sigar market, the farmers quit growing sugar cane and they were back to square one only their automotive fleet didn't burn regular petroleum based gasoline worth a shit.
This thread is pure garbage propaganda as always. Giant cemeteries for turbine blades my ass. LOL it's better than radiation old uranium or coal runoff etcetera etcetera etcetera.

What will archeologists think in 500 years?

We are doomed in 12 so nothing :abgg2q.jpg:
Actually that is supposedly when it will be irreversible if we do nothing as we are now. Super duper...

Actually that is supposedly when it will be irreversible

Yeah, every time the planet warmed a few degrees.....it's irreversible and everything dies......moron. DURR
Sorry you don't like facts, super duper. It's the smart thing to do but we may be able to figure out something scientists haven't foreseen. I just don't know what is so horrible about doing away with pollution and perhaps saving the planet. Takes a good brainwash I guess.....

Forum List

Back