Wow, yet another problem with windmills that I didn't know about.

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
Who woulda thunk it? Windmills really, really, suck!

Waste management experts estimate they’ll take hundreds of years to biodegrade

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

Landfill begins burying non-recyclable Wind Turbine Blades

What will archeologists think in 500 years?

Windmills and solar panels are net energy negative.

It takes more energy (from oil) to build them than they give back in their usable life time.

Which means they are NOT an energy source!

Yet another "great" idea from the leftist-greenies! What's next? Run cars on coal? (which is what electricity is produced from)..

It takes more energy (from oil) to build them than they give back in their usable life time.

Yet another "great" idea from the leftist-greenies! What's next? Run cars on coal? (which is what electricity is produced from)..
You could conceivably run cars on coal but they would be nothing like today's cars.

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

Why are they not being buried in landfills in the districts of those who promote and advocate for this type of alternative energy?

We've had this discussion before because I've posted this Link before.
Casper wants to generate income with it's Landfills, and much prefer non-Toxic Fiber Glass to Petroleum contaminated waste.

Wind turbine blades will generate about $675,000 at Casper landfill

"....The disposal of the wind turbine equipment is $59 per ton, the landfill’s special waste disposal fee approved by the City Council.

90% of wind turbine material is recyclable, according to Langston. Only the blades and the motor housing are non-recyclable because they are made from fiberglass.

Instream Environmental did not respond immediately to Oil City’s request for comment on Thursday, Aug. 1, so it is unclear the exact lifespan of these specific blades.

But a spokesperson for the United States Department of Energy said the lifespan of most blades is 20-25 years.

They also pointed to this National Renewable Energy Laboratory article which states that new thermoplastic technology could soon allow even the blades to be recycled and produced at lower cost.

The revenue from the wind blade disposal project will help keep rates at the landfill low.

“Casper Regional Landfill rates increase approximately 2% every two (2) years and we have very low rates compared to other landfills in the state,” a fact sheet provided by Langston says. “Our special waste projects generate on average $800,000 in revenue per year to make it possible to keep our rates low.”

The blades are being stored in unlined construction and demolition cell space, since fiberglass is “one of the most inert (Non-toxic)” materials disposed of at the landfill.

“Petroleum Contaminated Soil & Asbestos Containing Materials are the most common special wastes we receive for disposal,” the fact sheet adds.

`​

Last edited:

they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

You could conceivably run cars on coal but they would be nothing like today's cars.
They had the Stanley Steamer

What will archeologists think in 500 years?
They will think...thank goodness they discovered coal and oil so they didn't have to keep using these huge ridiculous eyesores.....

Last edited:
they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!
this is just one of many links I found,,,

Solar Panels Produce Far More Energy Than They Consume | EarthTechling

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

We've had this discussion before because I've posted this Link before.
Casper wants to generate income with it's Landfills, and much prefer non-Toxic Fiber Glass to Petroleum contaminated waste.

"....The disposal of the wind turbine equipment is $59 per ton, the landfill’s special waste disposal fee approved by the City Council.

90% of wind turbine material is recyclable, according to Langston. Only the blades and the motor housing are non-recyclable because they are made from fiberglass.

Instream Environmental did not respond immediately to Oil City’s request for comment on Thursday, Aug. 1, so it is unclear the exact lifespan of these specific blades.

But a spokesperson for the United States Department of Energy said the lifespan of most blades is 20-25 years.

They also pointed to this National Renewable Energy Laboratory article which states that new thermoplastic technology could soon allow even the blades to be recycled and produced at lower cost.

The revenue from the wind blade disposal project will help keep rates at the landfill low.

“Casper Regional Landfill rates increase approximately 2% every two (2) years and we have very low rates compared to other landfills in the state,” a fact sheet provided by Langston says. “Our special waste projects generate on average $800,000 in revenue per year to make it possible to keep our rates low.”

The blades are being stored in unlined construction and demolition cell space, since fiberglass is “one of the most inert (Non-toxic)” materials disposed of at the landfill.

“Petroleum Contaminated Soil & Asbestos Containing Materials are the most common special wastes we receive for disposal,” the fact sheet adds.

`​

Soooooooo, the windmills really suck at energy creation. but are great at filling landfills with toxic, non biodegradable fiberglass?

You are one dumb kitty....

Why are they not being buried in landfills in the districts of those who promote and advocate for this type of alternative energy?
Because the EPA has shut down most local dump sites due to leaching of chemicals into ground water. For most municipalities its too expensive to comply with the mountains of regulations.

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!
this is just one of many links I found,,,

Solar Panels Produce Far More Energy Than They Consume | EarthTechling

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me
Your study only deals with non-battery back up systems.

IF you put the batteries into the equation they are net negative. A loss. And that is what these need in order to be competitive for 24/7/365 use like other methods of energy generation are.

Forum List

Back