Wow, yet another problem with windmills that I didn't know about.

Who woulda thunk it? Windmills really, really, suck!

Waste management experts estimate they’ll take hundreds of years to biodegrade

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

Landfill begins burying non-recyclable Wind Turbine Blades
Uh oh...as soon as AOC hears about this, she'll demand the government buy them back for twice what they cost and have them turned into government housing.

they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!
this is just one of many links I found,,,

Solar Panels Produce Far More Energy Than They Consume | EarthTechling

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me
Your study only deals with non-battery back up systems.

IF you put the batteries into the equation they are net negative. A loss. And that is what these need in order to be competitive for 24/7/365 use like other methods of energy generation are.

its not my study and I was talking about panels not batteries,,,

they passed that hurdle yrs ago,,,the good ones produce far more than they take to make them,,,

Oh really? I admit it's been years since I read up on them...I'll check that out.

Thanks for the info!

I will say I think that solar is a great idea in many places but it will never be a full replacement,,why every house in phoenix doesnt have solar panels confuses me

IF you put the batteries into the equation they are net negative. A loss. And that is what these need in order to be competitive for 24/7/365 use like other methods of energy generation are.

That was my point.. IF you make them equivalent to other forms of power generation those panels are worthless..

But a spokesperson for the United States Department of Energy said the lifespan of most blades is 20-25 years.
So tell me why they have to replace every blade, every 7 years, as mandated by the DOE? Fiberglass cracks under constant stress and they become unsafe.
Is that all you could find/take issue with in your cause from the many facts in that article?
You cop the the rest, and balance of the issue?

`

Thanks for the info!

That was my point.. IF you make them equivalent to other forms of power generation those panels are worthless..
not when used in a grid tie system, which was my point about phoenix not having them on every house,,no need for solar farms when you can have them at point of use,,,

We've had this discussion before because I've posted this Link before.
Casper wants to generate income with it's Landfills, and much prefer non-Toxic Fiber Glass to Petroleum contaminated waste.

Wind turbine blades will generate about $675,000 at Casper landfill

Wind turbine blades will generate about $675,000 at Casper landfill

"....The disposal of the wind turbine equipment is $59 per ton, the landfill’s special waste disposal fee approved by the City Council.

90% of wind turbine material is recyclable, according to Langston. Only the blades and the motor housing are non-recyclable because they are made from fiberglass.

Instream Environmental did not respond immediately to Oil City’s request for comment on Thursday, Aug. 1, so it is unclear the exact lifespan of these specific blades.

But a spokesperson for the United States Department of Energy said the lifespan of most blades is 20-25 years.

They also pointed to this National Renewable Energy Laboratory article which states that new thermoplastic technology could soon allow even the blades to be recycled and produced at lower cost.

The revenue from the wind blade disposal project will help keep rates at the landfill low.

“Casper Regional Landfill rates increase approximately 2% every two (2) years and we have very low rates compared to other landfills in the state,” a fact sheet provided by Langston says. “Our special waste projects generate on average $800,000 in revenue per year to make it possible to keep our rates low.”

The blades are being stored in unlined construction and demolition cell space, since fiberglass is “one of the most inert (Non-toxic)” materials disposed of at the landfill.

“Petroleum Contaminated Soil & Asbestos Containing Materials are the most common special wastes we receive for disposal,” the fact sheet adds.

`​

Do you have any friggin idea whatsoever what the resins in fiberglass are? They're petrochemicals, shitforbrains. Here's another quiz question, how are glass fibers for fiberglass produced and how much energy does it take? For bonus points you get to guess what kind of energy is used to produce glass and glass fibers. What are the componet minerals of glass and how are they obtained.

OK last but not least, guess where asbestos comes from, Mr. Wizard?

Last edited:

Hundreds of giant windmill blades are being shipped to a landfill in Wyoming to be buried because they simply can’t be recycled.Local media reports several wind farms in the state are sending over 900 un-reusable blades to the Casper Regional Landfill to be buried.

While nearly 90 percent of old or decommissioned wind turbines, like the motor housing, can be refurbished or at least crushed, fiberglass windmill blades present a problem due to their size and strength.

Well clearly we should stop using fiberglass for anything we build......

I have nothing against a debate of the pluses and minuses of various forms of electrical generation, but we never have these.

Certainly I would prefer that wind turbines be entirely recyclable. But I would hold them to the same standards as I would hold every other industry.
What percentage of coal fired plants are 'recyclable'? Since basically what wind turbines do is replace coal plants- that is the comparison that would mean something other than you posting you found something else to confirm your bias against wind turbines.

I've known about these problems for a decade now. It's ridiculous how much of the "pro-Green Energy" people are completely ignorant about how toxic and polluting their 'green-energy' is.

The wind mill blades are made of extremely dangerous fiber glass, which can't be reused, or destroyed, because destroying them would send deadly fiberglass dust into the air. Additionally, the blades wear out constantly. And have to be replaced all the time, just like the generator, and electrical system has be replaced as well.

The same is true, of solar panels. Solar panels have tons of heavy metals in them, and yet can't be recycled, or melted down, or anything. They end up just polluting the ground in some landfill.

It's just amazing how bafflingly ignorant the 'eco-nuts' are. They run around screaming that Republicans want polluted air and water and so on, and yet they themselves are the biggest polluters.

I have nothing against a debate of the pluses and minuses of various forms of electrical generation, but we never have these.

Certainly I would prefer that wind turbines be entirely recyclable. But I would hold them to the same standards as I would hold every other industry.
What percentage of coal fired plants are 'recyclable'? Since basically what wind turbines do is replace coal plants- that is the comparison that would mean something other than you posting you found something else to confirm your bias against wind turbines.

For a energy system to be "green" it has to be less toxic than system it is replacing, and more efficient.

Solar and wind fail on both counts.

I've known about these problems for a decade now. It's ridiculous how much of the "pro-Green Energy" people are completely ignorant about how toxic and polluting their 'green-energy' is.

The wind mill blades are made of extremely dangerous fiber glass, which can't be reused, or destroyed, because destroying them would send deadly fiberglass dust into the air. Additionally, the blades wear out constantly. And have to be replaced all the time, just like the generator, and electrical system has be replaced as well.

The same is true, of solar panels. Solar panels have tons of heavy metals in them, and yet can't be recycled, or melted down, or anything. They end up just polluting the ground in some landfill.

It's just amazing how bafflingly ignorant the 'eco-nuts' are. They run around screaming that Republicans want polluted air and water and so on, and yet they themselves are the biggest polluters.
Also, the left insists we use ethanol in our gasoline...despite the fact that the corn grown to make ethanol is responsible for a huge hypoxic area in the Gulf of Mexico.

Large 2019 dead zone in Gulf of Mexico
A dead zone of oxygen-depleted waters forms every summer in the Gulf of Mexico in response to nutrient runoff from the Mississippi River watershed. Scientists have been tracking the summer dead zone for 33 years now, and they have found that this year’s area of low oxygen waters extends for 6,952 square miles (18,006 square km). It is the 8th largest dead zone ever recorded.
Not to mention, ethanol production of fuel is a net energy loss.
Professor Ted Patzek, a geoengineering professor at UC Berkley, initially calculated that producing ethanol results in a 65% energy loss. When he looked at it in more detail, including things like fuel used to produce fertilizer, waste water costs, energy used in transportation and other energies involved in ethanol production he concluded that energy consumption may be as high as six times that produced.
But, hey...the environment doesn't matter. All that matters is liberals feel good about themselves.

For a energy system to be "green" it has to be less toxic than system it is replacing, and more efficient.

And how are wind mills more toxic than coal powered power plants?

Also, the left insists we use ethanol in our gasoline...despite the fact that the corn grown to make ethanol is responsible for a huge hypoxic area in the Gulf of Mexico.

Large 2019 dead zone in Gulf of Mexico
A dead zone of oxygen-depleted waters forms every summer in the Gulf of Mexico in response to nutrient runoff from the Mississippi River watershed. Scientists have been tracking the summer dead zone for 33 years now, and they have found that this year’s area of low oxygen waters extends for 6,952 square miles (18,006 square km). It is the 8th largest dead zone ever recorded.
Not to mention, ethanol production of fuel is a net energy loss.
Professor Ted Patzek, a geoengineering professor at UC Berkley, initially calculated that producing ethanol results in a 65% energy loss. When he looked at it in more detail, including things like fuel used to produce fertilizer, waste water costs, energy used in transportation and other energies involved in ethanol production he concluded that energy consumption may be as high as six times that produced.
But, hey...the environment doesn't matter. All that matters is liberals feel good about themselves.

Republicans and Democrats criticize EPA decision on ethanol waivers

I have almost always opposed ethanol production. It really doesn't make any sense.

But the Midwest loves it- both Democrats and Republicans.

Free electricity sources challenge the way blob supporters were raised. They are too lazy to adapt so they make false statements like that in this thread.

Solar panels are largely made from silica (which comes from sand).

In no way, shape, or form are they more toxic than coal. Only when you’re in the alternate trump reality does the argument that they do ever get made.

Well for one thing, not a single coal burning power plant has been shut down because windmills replaced them.

Not even one.

So, you are basically saying we're going to keep all the pollution from our coal power plants.... AND pollute with windmills.

Since your method of pollution, does not replace any other.... its just another form of additional pollution.

Forum List

Back