Would you support renewable no matter what the climate does?

Would you support renewables no matter what the climate does? Yes, as I feel wind, solar and wave energy have a place and must be developed. Honestly, I feel there's a market for it and climate plays no part in my support for it.

Electric cars=
Lower imports from the middle east

Solar, wind, wave=energy we don't have to pound out of the ground. Making it easier.

Would you support renewables no matter what the climate does?

You bet!

As soon as they're cheaper than coal, natural gas and nuclear, I'll support them all day.

I support renewables regardless. I just don't support them at the expense of other industries.

Or at taxpayer expense.

If you want to put up a solar panel be my guest but there should be no tax credits for doing it.

Well, I support tax credits for the end user- residential, small commercial.

But not to the manufacturer. And I don't support the manufacture of alternatives/renewables components financed with money that is taxed away from the producers of hydrocarbons.

Why the hell should someone who buys a consumer product from a private company get a pass on income taxes?

This issue illustrates the grid lock and total partisanship of our government. IMO the solution would be to "repeal and replace". For every percentage point of green energy used we replace a fossile fuel percentage. You can't get rid of coal until you have something equally efficient or better to replace it with.

The Left wants to shut down fossile fuels without having anything to replace them with.
The Right wants to protect fossile fuels at all costs, and won't spend a dime in research for green energy. Both of these positions are detrimental to the US national security.

While renewable energy sources MIGHT someday be useful, they aren't today so I would not support forced development of renewable energy under any circumstances.

Actually they are already far, far beyond being merely useful - but only in countries where companies aren't hampered by cave-dwelling Neanderthals promoting coal like He Who Can Not Be Contradicted.

btw, Katz - why did you never go back to that thread to admit that th Messiah's 47% comment was wrong, after you swore it was right?

To answer the OP's question, I would support those renewables which can pay their way in a freemarket system.

Solar, tidal and wind all can IN SOME AREAS, as can nuclear in some areas.

Coal can't ultimately. It makes no economic sense at all.

Or at taxpayer expense.

If you want to put up a solar panel be my guest but there should be no tax credits for doing it.

But not to the manufacturer. And I don't support the manufacture of alternatives/renewables components financed with money that is taxed away from the producers of hydrocarbons.

Why the hell should someone who buys a consumer product from a private company get a pass on income taxes?

I'm still trying to figure out why "private" oil companies get to use "public" lands for their "private" use. For all the tax credits the oil companies get they should almost be a government operation. They get government subsidies, get to use government land, and still want government tax credits. Their "private" profits are around record setting levels almost half the time if not more.

Or at taxpayer expense.

It ultametly doesn't amount to much. Otherwise, my roof would be covered with solar panels.

I'm not sure it's still in place, but for a time you could get a bit of a tax credit for replacing old windows with new, installing an efficient water heater or furnace, adding insulation, etc.

By tax credit, I mean you could reduce your taxable income by a portional amount of your expenditures.

I'm still trying to figure out why "private" oil companies get to use "public" lands for their "private" use. For all the tax credits the oil companies get they should almost be a government operation. They get government subsidies, get to use government land, and still want government tax credits. Their "private" profits are around record setting levels almost half the time if not more.

You're not serious are you? Well maybe you are... seriously stupid.

I'm still trying to figure out why "private" oil companies get to use "public" lands for their "private" use.

Because they pay to use those lands.

For all the tax credits the oil companies get they should almost be a government operation.

Credits that are dwarfed by the taxes they pay.

Gee, smoke signals and drums worked, so why would anyone waste time and money to invent telegraph lines, telephones and the INTERNET?

Investing in the R&D of green and renewable sources of energy makes sense and cents (it creates jobs, creates new industry) and does not allow China and other nations to leave us in the dust. Oil is a finite resource, some day future generations will be faced with a world where it is much more costly to mine and refine oil and we will be left behind, finding it necessary to import products our country should today be designing and in the future selling to the rest of the world.

Invest your own money, you cheapskate.

I don't know about Wry Catcher, but I have shares in a Climate/Energy Technologies fund - mainly investing in Scotland, South Korea, Japan, Norway and Germany.

My fund is up 5% this year, mainly on the back of the massive growth in tidal turbine sales.

I'm not aware of any US companies who receive investment through the fund. I wonder if one of the reasons for that is the amazing cynicism some Americans have towards concepts like tidal. Maybe your companies have just missed that boat.

Invest your own money, you cheapskate.

I don't know about Wry Catcher, but I have shares in a Climate/Energy Technologies fund - mainly investing in Scotland, South Korea, Japan, Norway and Germany.

My fund is up 5% this year, mainly on the back of the massive growth in tidal turbine sales.

I'm not aware of any US companies who receive investment through the fund. I wonder if one of the reasons for that is the amazing cynicism some Americans have towards concepts like tidal. Maybe your companies have just missed that boat.
Good for you...Then you'll have no problems keeping your grimy mitts out of the public till.

Gee, smoke signals and drums worked, so why would anyone waste time and money to invent telegraph lines, telephones and the INTERNET?

Investing in the R&D of green and renewable sources of energy makes sense and cents (it creates jobs, creates new industry) and does not allow China and other nations to leave us in the dust. Oil is a finite resource, some day future generations will be faced with a world where it is much more costly to mine and refine oil and we will be left behind, finding it necessary to import products our country should today be designing and in the future selling to the rest of the world.

Investing in the R&D of green and renewable sources of energy makes sense and cents (it creates jobs, creates new industry) and does not allow China and other nations to leave us in the dust.

Obama throwing money at his green cronies hasn't helped us.
How many jobs did it create? At what cost?

Todd -

Maybe the investments came too late - you were already so far behind countries likes Scotland, Germany and Korea when it comes to renewables it isn't easy to catch up now.

Investments always involve risk - they weren't all work, but that doesn't mean investment isn't the right thing to do as a concept. It just needs to be made as safely as possible.

Last week TWO of obama's clean energy companies declared bankruptcy, after they got millions in government money and after they made hefty donations of that grant money back to democrats.

Investment is the right thing to do, that's private investment. The government has no right to invest in or support any company with my money. When a company takes private investments they must produce. When it's government grant money, they need produce nothing. They are answerable to no one.

Last week TWO of obama's clean energy companies declared bankruptcy, after they got millions in government money and after they made hefty donations of that grant money back to democrats.

Investment is the right thing to do, that's private investment. The government has no right to invest in or support any company with my money. When a company takes private investments they must produce. When it's government grant money, they need produce nothing. They are answerable to no one.
They, in fact, "invest" in failure.

Todd -

Maybe the investments came too late - you were already so far behind countries likes Scotland, Germany and Korea when it comes to renewables it isn't easy to catch up now.

Investments always involve risk - they weren't all work, but that doesn't mean investment isn't the right thing to do as a concept. It just needs to be made as safely as possible.

Investments always involve risk

Which is why they work best when they involve private people risking private money.

Todd -

I'd say "you can't be serious" if I didn't know you are. :eek:

If we were really that far behind, then the "investments" should've been able to pan out with already existing technologies....But they didn't because all this "green energy" crap is pure snake oil.

Vapid platitudes involve the risk that someone is going to call you on your bullshit, bullshitter.

You want to risk your money, that's your choice to make...But you have no business picking your neighbor's pocket to make your "investment", only to return saying "you fucked up, you trusted us" when it blows up in your face.

Forum List

Back