Endangered species.

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Heard talk of the Repubs desire to exploit the Artic Refuge and it reminded me of the deniers disregard for anything not able to hire counsel.

World's most endangered species | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News
Tiger – Less than 3,200 remain in the wild, we have lost 97% of our wild tigers in just over a century. World Wildlife Fund has put together a top 10 list of endangered species to be on the look-out for in 2012.

Last edited:
600,000 year data set from Vostok says you're full of shit, CO2 never drives temperature but follows along about 800 years after

Heard talk of the Repubs desire to exploit the Artic Refuge and it reminded me of the deniers disregard for anything not able to hire counsel.

News Photo Galleries & Slideshows - Yahoo! News
Tiger – Less than 3,200 remain in the wild, we have lost 97% of our wild tigers in just over a century. World Wildlife Fund has put together a top 10 list of endangered species to be on the look-out for in 2012.

Can you clean up this link?

Can you clean up this link?

i fixed it.

Last edited:
Endangered species on brink of extinction...
:eek:
Twenty-five primates on brink of extinction: report
Tue, Oct 16, 2012 - Twenty-five species of monkeys, langurs, lemurs and gorillas are on the brink of extinction and need global action to protect them from increasing deforestation and illegal trafficking, researchers said yesterday.
Six of the severely threatened species live on the island nation of Madagascar, off southeast Africa. Five more from mainland Africa, five from South America and nine species in Asia are among those listed as most threatened. The report by the International Union for Conservation of Nature was released at a biodiversity conference being held in Hyderabad, India. Primates, mankind’s closest living relatives, contribute to the ecosystem by dispersing seeds and maintaining forest diversity.

Conservation efforts have helped several species of primates, which are no longer listed as endangered, said the report, prepared every two years by some of the world’s leading primate experts. The report said that Madagascar’s lemurs are severely threatened by habitat destruction and illegal hunting, which has accelerated dramatically since the change of power in the country in 2009.

Among the most severely hit was the northern sportive lemur with only 19 known individuals left in the wild in Madagascar. “Lemurs are now one of the world’s most endangered groups of mammals, after more than three years of political crisis and a lack of effective enforcement in their home country, Madagascar,” said Christoph Schwitzer of the Bristol Conservation and Science Foundation, one of the groups involved in the study. “A similar crisis is happening in Southeast Asia, where trade in wildlife is bringing many primates very close to extinction,” Schwitzer said.

More than half of the world’s 633 types of primates are in danger of becoming extinct because of human activity, such as the burning and clearing of tropical forests, the hunting of primates for food and the illegal wildlife trade.

Twenty-five primates on brink of extinction: report - Taipei Times

I can't believe the racists haven't gotten a hold on this thread yet.

What does this have to do with ANWR?

ANWR is an area adjacent to an oil field that the deniers haven't got their hands on yet. Flora & fauna exist there & its a migration point as are many other points on the globe.

ANWR is an area adjacent to an oil field that the deniers haven't got their hands on yet. Flora & fauna exist there & its a migration point as are many other points on the globe.

And you're inferring that oil and gas operations would disrupt the flora and fauna?

Migration points are vital for the survival of a species and I think are often underestimated in their importance especially in residential development.

And you're inferring that oil and gas operations would disrupt the flora and fauna?

yes. the pipelines, associated spills, and emissions wouldn't bode well for an area untouched for millions of years.

yes. the pipelines, associated spills, and emissions wouldn't bode well for an area untouched for millions of years.

I understand your concern, but I believe the benefits far outweigh those risks.

The benefit will be there forever. If we lose a species it is gone. Do we need the benefit so bad today that we are willing to take the risk. The other point is that there is a benefit in protecting our environment.

The benefit will be there forever. If we lose a species it is gone. Do we need the benefit so bad today that we are willing to take the risk. The other point is that there is a benefit in protecting our environment.

That area has been untouched by humans since before recorded time & they want to let co's like Halliburton in there :eusa_eh: :eusa_hand: :eusa_whistle:

arctic-refuge-01.jpg

Last edited:

Has a species ever been lost due to oil and gas operations in this country?

Caribou herds have flourished since North Slope operations began.

Forum List

Back